How deep the pole and concrete???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kelleyga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I will try to install my 10 feet C-band dish this weekend.

The dish must go over the roof of my house as the house is in the middle of the Point of Sight. My house is 9 feet high. Some one told me I will need 4 feet under ground and 4 feet above the roof. That means 17 feet Pole.

If that is correct I will have to open a hole 4 feet DEEP????? They told me I will need also a bracket to attach the pole to the wall of my house.

So my questions:

1) How deep the hole pole?
2) How wide the hole for the pole?
3) If my house high is 9 feet, they is a 17 feet pole ok?
4) How much concrete should I use? My dish is 10 feet C-Band.

Thanks for your help.

One more thing. Should I attached the dish when putting the pole???

My roof is not flat shingles, it has those orange ceramic curve tiles. It will be HARD to get on the roof to set the dish later. Almost imposible, very dangerous to get on top of the roof to work. Any ideas??? Thanks guys.

By the way I live in Tampa Fl, yes, Huracanes, lighting, etc, all that good stuff.

c-band install

I would definitely put the dish down in the ground about 4 feet with a 24" concrete base. You will need some heavy duty standoff brackets for mounting to the house. At least one really good strong bracket at the top of the house and a bracket that will extend enough to clear the eave of the house. Be sure the bracket is lag bolted into the wall studs of the house and not just the sheeting or siding. Pay careful attention to this one. No one wants a 17 feet tall BUD coming down on them in a windstorm.

Be sure that the pole is PERFECTLY PLUMB for proper tracking of all viewable satellites in the arc. This is the most important step in your install if you are using an actuator to move the dish. Any mistake here cannot be corrected very easily after your concrete cures. Use a level on the side of the pole near the top and check for plumb all the way around the pole. Bubbles have to be in the middle of the level. A fencepost level works well for this.

That fiberglass dish is going to catch a lot of wind. estimates per the geo-orbit website state something like 10 foot solid dish = 900lbs thrust in a 50 mph wind (if the wind is hitting the dish square in the face).

The dish may not always see this kind of load but be prepared just in case.

A mesh dish would catch about 70% less wind and be lighter in most cases.
If you have a choice or can get a mesh dish, do that-it will be a lot easier and safer to install. The mesh will let most wind pass through the reflector.
Fiberglass dishes are usually just mesh inside anyway unless its a newer style dish that is coated with a reflective finish.

Thanks for your help. I am getting ready to get the hole going. This is exciting...

Can someone help me please.

I got the hole done, the pipe is in place at 90 degrees. I will try to mount the dish today with some friends help.

I live in Tampa FL, I got a 10 feet mesh dish. I was looking at the video TDTI1 posted here and the guy talks about setting the elevation and declination. I found this data in http://www.dvbresource.com/charts/cities/Tampa-FL.html for Tampa Florida.

Location USA Tampa-FL
Site latitude 27.85N (degrees)
Site longitude 82.47W (degrees)
Magnetic variation 4.3W (degrees)
Polar elevation 61.56 (degrees)
Apex elevation 57.49 (degrees)
Polar axis 28.44 (degrees)
Apex declination 32.51 (degrees)
Declination offset 4.08 (degrees)
Key to Abbreviations(degrees):
Long: Sub satellite longitude (degrees)
AZm: Magnetic compass (degrees)
AZ:True azimuth (degrees)
EL: Elevation (degrees)
Band: Active (degrees)

1) What elevation should I use: 61.56 or 57.49???
2) What aobut Declination 32.51 ?
3) Looking at the video I know what piece he is talking about for the elevation, but I dont see one similar in my dish for the declination. Is that fine? I do not need to set the declination?

As always, thanks for your help. I am almost done :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts