How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

It looks like the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) is not too happy with the satellite companies saying that their 1080p is equivalent:

www [dot] strategyanalytics [dot] com/blogs/322/

One quote from that blog:
"the Blu-ray Disc Association is exploring these claims further and will take appropriate action, as necessary, to prevent consumers seeking the ultimate in high-definition home entertainment from being misled."

(Sorry for the funny link, it wouldn't let me post a URL)
While they're at it, they should also look into the Sony tvs that claim to support 1080p but apparently aren't letting Dish's 1080p signal come through.

Fast motion

How does the DN 1080P24 version of IAL handle fast motion compared to the Blu-ray 1080P24 version? Is there any noticeable macroblocking?

Well now that the IAL special is over I see on my guide that it's now 10000BC in 1080p for $2.99. That was one stinker of a movie.:sleeo I'm guessing they will keep the $2.99 price going til they figure out their problems.

I did not get IAL till the last week of August as it was. It could be a combination of giving people a chance to use 1080p combined with getting all of the bugs out as you state.

At $2.99 though, I would definitely be more inclined to rent a 1080p version of a movie. Redbox is $1. However for another $2 it might be worth it to me to get a 1080p version and the travel time to get the movie and take it back; especially with $4 gas.

The 1080p version sure looks better than upconverted DVDs ...

The $6 or $7 that they want for a "regular" priced 1080p however is crazy ... I'll drive to Redbox for that ...

Update:

Update on Sony A3000 not being able to pass compatibility tests with Dish 1080p content:

Thought that maybe software update L613 would fix the issue.

It didn't.

Udate:

Udpdate on my Sony KDL-40V2500 not being able to pass compatibility tests with Dish 1080p VOD movie 10,000 BC: Software update L613 did not fix the issue.

For what it's worth - my 46" Sony KDL46W100 passed the test and shows 1080p/24 on the screen when it switches to that mode. My older Sony 52" KDL-XBR3 which does 1080p, unfortunately does not pass the test.

After receiving L6.13 last night I was all set to test my Sony KDL-46V3000, but of course now I don't have a 1080p VOD movie on 501. IAL used to be there, but nothing now...

I got L6.13 today as well, and confirmed it did NOT fix my 1080p issue previously posted in this thread for my Panasonic PT-AE1000U projector which supports 1080p24 just fine on HD-DVD.

My screen still goes on and off, and the projector's menu alternates between nothing and 1080p24 (I occasionally get the 1080p24 picture on the screen). I connected the projector directly to the 622 via HDMI (although I get no sound this way). I then tried a 30 second power cord reset on the 622 with the projector on the whole time, and it still failed. I then also tried powering off the projector and removing its power cord, doing the power cord reset on the 622, waited 10 minutes, then powered the projector back on. Same results again.

I heard that new HD chanels will not seen in Texas and Mexico due they will be in the east who knows something at respect ?

One thing I noticed about the test.

I just rented 10000BC last night.

The first prompt says something to the effect "do you want to rent". In red it also states that your TV will be tested.

A second screen pops up that says to the effect "are you sure you want to rent?"

When I look at my TV settings, it is reporting 1080p at that second prompt.

If you wait too long though, the second prompt will "time out" and you are presented with a "your TV is not compatible, or you waited too long" message.

Anyway, the main point that I wanted to bring out, is that if you can get to the second prompt, obviously your TV is compatible and that your TV actually is in 1080p mode from the second prompt on.

Update:

Update on Sony A3000 not being able to pass compatibility tests with Dish 1080p content:

Thought that maybe software update L613 would fix the issue.

It didn't.

Me too. Tried my Sony A3000 last night (10,000 BC; L613 s/w).

No go. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)