How do I PVR H2H?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

NotTy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Wa
What do I need to make a PVR or DVR work with H2H? Is there something like a PVR that would work? I know Direct & Dish have them & you pay a monthly fee but what can be used in substitution with H2H?

Any digital recorder that allows a timer; like a DVD recorder, or even a TIVO with standard inputs will work. You'll need to set the timers on both the h2h and the recording unit, however. Might be best to buy a unit with a DVD recorder AND integrated hard drive, so you can edit out odd start times, commercials, etc internally then transfer to final DVD if permanently saving. I use a Toshiba DVD recorder, it had good ratings for compatibility on nearly all players, no matter what format. Very happy, and not expensive at all. Humax made some for TIVO service with DVD burner and hard drive internal, not sure how much the service-is or if its needed to use "locally" with inputs if you don't need their (TIVO) guide. You'll want the recorder to have composite video input capability or S-video input if using a 922 unit. Not just digital input.

You can use a computer with a capture card and a USB-UIRT to change the channels. Then most of the PVR software should work. Just check first to see if you can create your own lineup. I use BeyondTV for my OTA recordings. I have not tried it with my satellite box, but it should work as you can create a custom channel list to specify the channels you get. Since I use tuners (HDHomeRun and Fusion) for my setup I have no experiance with the USB-UIRT setup, but believe it should be simple. With my computer I use the sleep function (hibernate works also) for it is not on all the time. my recording timers wake the computer when a recording is to take place, and it goes back to sleep when the recording is complete. I just use the Windows power options to put the computer to sleep after a few minutes of no activity. Can also set timers over the internet as well if needed. The TiVo hardware will work, as I have my TiVo S2 connected to my ShawDirect (StarChoice) box for recording. Simple to copy the recordings over the network to my computer using either the TiVo desktop software or KMTTG. I do not know if TiVo supports the H2H channel lineup, or if you can create a customer lineup?

What do I need to make a PVR or DVR work with H2H? Is there something like a PVR that would work? I know Direct & Dish have them & you pay a monthly fee but what can be used in substitution with H2H?

Not really in any east fashion. You can get a Toshiba 670 VCR/Dvd recorder if you can
find one. Good luck but in this supposedly free country most recorders are illegal. Go to world import or somesuch to see availability on grey market

Region Free DVD Players, MultiSystem LCD TVs, Region Free DVD Recorders, Multi-System Plasma TV, multi-system TVs, PAL LCD TV, PAL TV, Step Down transformer, Step up transformer, Chicago

Not really in any east fashion. You can get a Toshiba 670 VCR/Dvd recorder if you can
find one. Good luck but in this supposedly free country most recorders are illegal. Go to world import or somesuch to see availability on grey market

Region Free DVD Players, MultiSystem LCD TVs, Region Free DVD Recorders, Multi-System Plasma TV, multi-system TVs, PAL LCD TV, PAL TV, Step Down transformer, Step up transformer, Chicago
I'm at a loss. I looked at several DVD Recorders on line today. What is illegal or do I know something I don't really know?

I don't see the relevance, either. Any DVD recorder or one with hard drive is fine in the USA if meant to be used here...no issues using it with H2H. Region free if that's what someone is referring to is for playback of out of country DVD's and has nothing to do with recording capabilities. There are PLENTY of DVD recorders here in the USA, and not illegal to own or use. They work fine with H2H and with FTA.

The DVD recorders do not have any ir blasters so you would have to turn the H2H satellite box to the channel you want to record as well as set a timer or press the record button on the DVD recorder. There is also no program guide so it either set a timer for the input and start and end times, or wait untill the program is about to start and press the record button. Check Walmart for the Magnavox or Philips DVD recorder with built in hard disk. The Toshiba DVD recorder may be made by the same manufacturer as the Magnavox unit, Funai as the graphics are similar and I think the Toshiba does have manufactured by Funai on the back. I have both a Philips DVD recorder and a Pioneer DVD recorder. Both have built in hard drives. The Pioneer seems to be better built with nicer menus, but both perform the same functions. The units with hard drives are hard to find. Most Walmarts do not stock them, but can be ordered online and picked up at your local store. I also have a LG DVD recorder with hard disk and do not like it. The DVD's it makes have problems in some players.
As for TiVo, for anything but a series 1 unit, you need a subscription for it to function. If you can get a used lifetime unit, and if it does support H2H then it would be a great solution.

Mmm. So programming a DVD recorder would be the same as programming a VCR from the 80's. I can live with that. To record the same show at the same time each day, I would have to leave the 922 on all the time so I don't loose the timer memory. It seems the 922 runs about as hot off as it does on anyway so leaving it on shouldn't draw that much more power either or am I wrong?

I don't see the relevance, either. Any DVD recorder or one with hard drive is fine in the USA if meant to be used here...no issues using it with H2H. Region free if that's what someone is referring to is for playback of out of country DVD's and has nothing to do with recording capabilities. There are PLENTY of DVD recorders here in the USA, and not illegal to own or use. They work fine with H2H and with FTA.

They are rapidly disappearing from the market. The large electronic stores here such as Fry's or Curacao don't have any now except a very few old model leftovers. Nothing new coming! Go to Japan now and there are many new models with terrabyte HD and blu-ray recorders in one unit. None will ever show up here. Just do some research and you will see! Legal liabilities prevent manufacturers from bringing in new product thanks to Hollywood suits and other "intellectual" property rights issues. :mad:
Channel Master makes a PVR for ota which will do High Definition
ATSC and good quality
recording, a guide and it is easy to use but extremely limited. Cost $400.00
Another new unit the Bright View BV980H may be of interest but also has limitations. For H2H just drag out an old VCR as it is adequate for the purpose being proposed.

Mmm. So programming a DVD recorder would be the same as programming a VCR from the 80's. I can live with that. To record the same show at the same time each day, I would have to leave the 922 on all the time so I don't loose the timer memory. It seems the 922 runs about as hot off as it does on anyway so leaving it on shouldn't draw that much more power either or am I wrong?

100 percent correct on method. Not sure about the 922's timer being "on" or "off". My FTA works either in on or off for timer, but my Toshiba DVD-R needs to be "off" and can be set to select any one of three inputs with its timer.

Good luck with it!

They are rapidly disappearing from the market. The large electronic stores here such as Fry's or Curacao don't have any now except a very few old model leftovers. Nothing new coming! Legal liabilities prevent manufacturers from bringing in new product thanks to Hollywood suits and other "intellectual" property rights issues. Channel Master makes a PVR for ota which will do High Definition ATSC and good quality
recording, a guide and it is easy to use but extremely limited. Cost $400.00 For H2H just drag out an old VCR as it is adequate for the purpose being proposed.

Okay, so you can't walk-in and buy one, but how about the many results when searching "DVD Recorder" on Amazon dot com? Name Brands, players that have region-free playback, and all available to us here in the USA. No different than most of our FTA receivers, we don't walk to the corner store to get them, we order them from reputable dealers.

Bottom line to our thread starter: Yes, you can record, Yes, units are available, read-up on features that fit your needs, and enjoy. For H2H you won't need ATSC recording, just a proper set of inputs. One of the beauties of h2h is it works with recorders and doesn't cause the recorder to say, "no" when you hit the record button from our satellite source.

And please, don't consider our h2h subs not worthy of good recording by suggesting VHS. You're dead wrong. Many h2h feeds have better less-compressed pictures than other sources, so please drop the "VHS" reference. Do you own and run an H2H system? If pictures were that bad for you personally, you had issues with it that most of us here do not, and probably the people on this thread would have happily helped you improve your results.

I did recently convert my 922 to H2H & yes we're considering VHS as a temporary solution until I get a DVD recorder. The picture is excellent until the VHS tape gets a hold of it & even though I'm still using the original LNB from 1992 the picture is still stable.. I'm also using an FTA receiver but the entire system is too complicated for the family to use.since I have to use the 922 to move the dish. I also wanted something that would record about 3 to 4 different shows each day & have enough recording room to wait until the weekend to watch. For now, the VHS will have to work.
And you're right about the timer, it doesn't loose the memory..

Concerning HITS and picture quality:

People forget one thing why H2H PQ is better. They are distributing this to cable company's so it has to meet a broadcast quality level. When things get fed to consumers via cable or LSD, they can butcher the crap out of it and the end user has no say so in the matter. Look at NPS's old G3 reups :eek: They took lessons from Charlie on that :coffee

Last edited:
I did recently convert my 922 to H2H & yes we're considering VHS as a temporary solution until I get a DVD recorder.

Finding a DVD recorder is easier than finding video tape!! ;)

Walmart still sells a model or 2 of Magnavox DVD recorders with a HDD. The only thing with mine is that the fan is a little noisy and I am having compatability issues with my 400 disc SONY DVD megachanger. The SONY has always been fussy! :(

The models at Walmart are available online and free shipping site to store. There are computers in stores where you can order from too and get assistance if needed. It is also a good idea to use Walmart gift cards to pay for items on their site plus there is a 90 day return policy! At the time I bought mine they even had free shipping to my house!

Last edited:
Magnavox is Funai From what I have seen Funai is junk I owned some of their stuff, it don't last.

Magnavox is Funai From what I have seen Funai is junk I owned some of their stuff, it don't last.

Hmmm. I usually buy higher end stuff but when my Panasonic DVD
recorder bit the dust in under 2 years I tried the Funai.
I do not usually go by ratings but the Magnavox had high marks.

I do not think that any of the newer stuff (Chinese) will last! :(

Okay, so you can't walk-in and buy one, but how about the many results when searching "DVD Recorder" on Amazon dot com? Name Brands, players that have region-free playback, and all available to us here in the USA. No different than most of our FTA receivers, we don't walk to the corner store to get them, we order them from reputable dealers.

Bottom line to our thread starter: Yes, you can record, Yes, units are available, read-up on features that fit your needs, and enjoy. For H2H you won't need ATSC recording, just a proper set of inputs. One of the beauties of h2h is it works with recorders and doesn't cause the recorder to say, "no" when you hit the record button from our satellite source.

And please, don't consider our h2h subs not worthy of good recording by suggesting VHS. You're dead wrong. Many h2h feeds have better less-compressed pictures than other sources, so please drop the "VHS" reference. Do you own and run an H2H system? If pictures were that bad for you personally, you had issues with it that most of us here do not, and probably the people on this thread would have happily helped you improve your results.
:confused:
If you are ordering you will be increasingly into grey market. Who is a "reputable" dealer now? Do I own and run a H2H system, really you should read the posts! VHS will if properly used provide more than adequate recordings of the garbage most programmers
provide and it is easy to use. I know what good looks like and how to get it!

Finding a DVD recorder is easier than finding video tape!! ;)

Walmart still sells a model or 2 of Magnavox DVD recorders with a HDD. The only thing with mine is that the fan is a little noisy and I am having compatability issues with my 400 disc SONY DVD megachanger. The SONY has always been fussy! :(

The models at Walmart are available online and free shipping site to store. There are computers in stores where you can order from too and get assistance if needed. It is also a good idea to use Walmart gift cards to pay for items on their site plus there is a 90 day return policy! At the time I bought mine they even had free shipping to my house!

Beware of Walmart / Magnavox recorders, they are not all that reliable. Need recording media? There are many suppliers if not available locally. //http://www.tapeonline.com/vhs and there are many others. Unless something changes by this time next year
just about any kind of recorder you will be able to get is going to be grey.

First they took away our master quality now they want to take away recording. This is BS! I for one won't stand for it and do what is necessary to continue recording. They can change the rules but thats all they can do. ;)

Yeah I know what you are saying about the near extinction of recording! :mad:

I bought my dad a JVC DVD recorder a couple of years ago and that thing has been in the shop more than he ever used it. Like I said my last Panasonic died a premature death too! My father in law (even before he was my in law) always bought low end stuff and has had better results than I had with higher end stuff. In 1985 I bought a Panasonic Hi-Fi VCR for $1000 and it only lasted about 5 years with light use. My father in law had a cheap Fisher deck that will still work if he hooked it up today and they used to use that thing A LOT! My brother has one of those $29 DVD players that outlasted my $250 Technic one! This kind of luck has been repeated in my world quite often. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)