How do you know what is HD signal on antennaweb.org

Fotograffiti

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Wisconsin
This may be a dumb question but I am looking at the stations that are listed in my area on www.antennaweb.org and am not sure how to tell which ones broadcast an HD signal? I am not completely familiar with the way OTA works so are all these are all HD if you have the right equipment? I do have a Sony Grand Wega w/ a built in tuner and am considering getting an antenna to get the local HD channels if possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Robert

I would suggest checking out titantv.com to find out which stations in your area broadcast HD programming. Please understand that HD and DTV are different parts of the question you didn't ask.

DTV is noted on antennaweb.org with an asterisk. HD is not noted there as far as I can tell.

Fotograffiti said:
This may be a dumb question but I am looking at the stations that are listed in my area on www.antennaweb.org and am not sure how to tell which ones broadcast an HD signal? I am not completely familiar with the way OTA works so are all these are all HD if you have the right equipment? I do have a Sony Grand Wega w/ a built in tuner and am considering getting an antenna to get the local HD channels if possible. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Robert

The channels identified as XX.1 are the digital stations in your area. With a Sony Grand Wega, scan for the digital stations, if you can pick up a minimal signal on the analog stations and the station is broadcasting full power digital, you should have no problem picking up the digital station. The stations that are passing or broadcasting HD is going to vary DMA to DMA. Generally, PBS national HD feed up to 24 hours a day. ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox, most prime time and major sports. To my knowledge only the Young and the Restless soap is HD and NEWS, game shows, and reality programming is not available (I read that both Wheel of Fortune and Jeapordy would be available in HD, but have not seen it in our area or the HD logo on these programs, yet)
On antenna web there is also the compass direction of the stations towers to allow you to set your antenna in a proper direction..

Simply put, only the digital stations can broadcast HD. But not all of them do. As previously stated, do a digital channel scan and see what you come up with. I think by now that most local network affiliates have a digital side and can pass on the network offerings. However local original programming such as news is another matter. In Cleveland we're lucky to have two of our stations generating local HD.

Fotograffiti said:

Robert

From the following web site:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=422073

CAPITAL letters {ABC (9) - FOX (18)} indicate the station is broadcasting in HDTV and DD 5.1.

lower-case letters {abc (3), fox (39)} indicate HDTV, WITHOUT DD 5.1

Green Bay, WI - abc (2) - cbs (5) - FOX (11) - PBS (38)
La Crosse, WI - abc (19) - CBS (8) - NBC (13) - PBS (31)
Madison, WI - ABC (27) - cbs (3) - FOX (47) - nbc (15) - PBS (21) - WB (57)
Milwaukee, WI - ABC (12) - cbs (58) - FOX (6) - NBC (4) - PBS (10) - WB (18)
Wausau, WI - abc (9) - cbs (7) - PBS (20)

This was updated in August 2005.

Tower Guy said:
From the following web site:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=422073

CAPITAL letters {ABC (9) - FOX (18)} indicate the station is broadcasting in HDTV and DD 5.1.

lower-case letters {abc (3), fox (39)} indicate HDTV, WITHOUT DD 5.1

Green Bay, WI - abc (2) - cbs (5) - FOX (11) - PBS (38)
La Crosse, WI - abc (19) - CBS (8) - NBC (13) - PBS (31)
Madison, WI - ABC (27) - cbs (3) - FOX (47) - nbc (15) - PBS (21) - WB (57)
Milwaukee, WI - ABC (12) - cbs (58) - FOX (6) - NBC (4) - PBS (10) - WB (18)
Wausau, WI - abc (9) - cbs (7) - PBS (20)

This was updated in August 2005.

None of those CBS's are doing 5.1? Wow! NBC has hardly anything in 5.1 and most stations listed have it. We run both an NBC station and a CBS station in the same building and if we loose the encoder on CBS, we hear about it. On NBC, it hardly is noticed.