How do you know what you know?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

highskies

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Texarkana
As I read thru some of these threads I'm blown away with some of the things some folks come up with. Speaking for myself, I'm pretty much self taught when it comes to sat dishes. Having never owned a satellite dish in my life, I successfully installed a 10' BUD back in 1995 I think, then got it on the arc. I did this by asking a lot of questions to a local dealer at the time. This was about the time the SCIFI CH aired on analog @ 125W, I'm thinking maybe transponder 4. Later on, having zero experience with a motorized KU offset dish, I successfully installed and tracked one, which is still pretty much spot on the arc now some 10 years or so later. I'm impressed with myself to be honest, considering I had zero knowledge of any of these things prior to this, but in reality, compared to some in here, I'm just an idiot, lol. But at least I'm on the list, maybe the bottom of the list tho. What I mean is, not everyone can probably do what we can do. It seems like it takes a special kind of person to be interested in this hobby, then being able to successfully do things related to the hobby, such as aiming at the sky, then getting on the arc pretty much spot on, and without any special tools on top of that..at least some of us don't have any special high dollar tools.

So enough about me. What about some of you others, especially the geniuses that keep coming up with all these things that blows my mind, things that are way over my head? How do you know what you know?

While I'm thinking about it... >>>CLICK HERE TO JUMP INTO OUR FRIENDLY DISCUSSION FORUMS!<<< ...this place really lives up to that. At least this section. Can't speak for the other sections since the FTA Forums are where I mainly hang out. All I know is, folks in here really go out of their way to try and help others resolve issues they may be having. So if I were to rate this forum and it's members on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, in regards to helping other members in a friendly manner, etc, no doubt, I would give it a 10.

Experience, mainly, with the big dishes. I got into c-band just about the time all the movie channels scrambled. Yes, we surely would've bankrupted them all, viewing for almost free. I bought into the videocipher craze (had two of 'em at the beginning, when they were expensive!) and subbed to all of it, at one time or another. It's been a fun hobby, don't see how people living in the sticks like I do lasted without satellite tv. Switching to the digital, free to air equipment was another thing though, and I think it would've taken me much longer to figure out, had it not been for this forum. Aligning a dish is not that hard, once you understand it just involves two semi-cicles. One on the ground (the dish's tracking arc) and the arc of spacecraft up above us. Lots of details to sweat, but that is it, in a nutshell. Without internet and satelliteguys I would still be trying to learn what an mpeg 2 signal is.

Yup, experience, reading what others did, trying it myself, making mistakes, BUT, learning from them and not making the exact same mistake again! Just a lot of playing around, trying to understand what just happened, integrating that into your brain, "what does this do?", hummmm... Ok, I didn't like that, let's try this..... Ok, that went well....."

Mistakes can be a good thing, as you learn faster. Just avoid the same mistake next time.

Where could you go to learn this stuff? I mean , is there an FTA class? Don't think so. Like most everyone, I'm a self taught FTA'r. Of course with a resource like this site, it isn't real hard ;)

Learning by experience (trial and error) as well as reading, reading, and more reading.

Another thing about FTAers, we're a patient lot :D ...

Experience and background, I think. My background is very strong in communications , computers , networking and electronics. No experience in satellite until 2005, but being basically a "tech nerd" , with the help of the forums, it was pretty easy to fill in the gaps and learn this new ( to me) but similar technology. It's always been my experience that to really learn something, you have to get your hands on it, and start trying different things. Nothing imprints your brain faster than a temporary failure, finding what went wrong, and then correcting it . Welcome aboard. :)

The helpful people on this forum/reading several thousand posts + hands-on experience + curiosity + hillbilly stubborness.

Wish I had more of a computer/electronics background.

The helpful people on this forum/reading several thousand posts + hands-on experience + curiosity + hillbilly stubborness.

Wish I had more of a computer/electronics background.

That can sometimes hinder you more than you'd think. Most people tend to "over-think" problems, and even more so for a 'super-tech' type. If you don't realise that and correct it early in your career, it can make for some hard going... The old "can't see the forest for the trees" bit. You get 'stuck' with too many preconceptions, and can't see your way out of them. Sometimes it takes a person outside to point that out, and give you an 'epiphany' enough to wake you up.

That can sometimes hinder you more than you'd think. Most people tend to "over-think" problems, and even more so for a 'super-tech' type. If you don't realise that and correct it early in your career, it can make for some hard going... The old "can't see the forest for the trees" bit. You get 'stuck' with too many preconceptions, and can't see your way out of them. Sometimes it takes a person outside to point that out, and give you an 'epiphany' enough to wake you up.
The best technical electrician/troubleshooter that I ever knew ( a legend at General Motors, Lansing ) started out as a mechanic for a farm equipment dealer, he then got an apprenticeship as an electrician, and went on from there. Nothing beats hands on experience and good mechanical common sense. Every thing that adds to that is gravy ... :)

For me it was (and still is) trial and error along with reading and asking questions here and on other boards in the past, including the original Delphi 4DTV forums of years gone by. But having been a Journeyman Industrial Maintenance Machinist with two years in an Electrical apprenticeship during my working years, I refined that God given talent of "deductive reasoning" aka, troubleshooting, that has benefited me not only in employment, but also in my racing, computer repair and FTA hobbies. That and I've always been into "off the wall" type stuff that the average person only day dreams of doing.

In looking back though I think some ppl shy away from this type stuff thinking they have to be an Electronics Engineer to be able to do this, and other stuff like building and maintaining computers. I'd guess that less than 10% of the members here actually have soldered on a main board but having said that, I never let that stop me from doing, or attempting to do what I really wanted to do.

Truth is, as some have already stated, that what we do isn't what I would call "Rocket Science". You just have to have a desire to DO IT, along with some common sense!;)

ROCKET SCIENCE = get it moving, then make corrections to get it to where you want it to go!

I do not like to remember errors, so I learn from "trial and success".

Like in marriage - telling my wife "I love you" is not as effective as telling her, "You love me!" That tells her, I noticed and I appreciate it!

Read and meditate - and remember what works.... Be sure all cables are connected if something doesn't seem to work!

Be sure all cables are connected if something doesn't seem to work!

I've made that mistake more than I'd like to admit... When upgrading my computer or connecting even more things to my TV, I inevitably leave something unplugged or with its rear power switch off. I wonder what I'll forget while adding my FTA setup to the mix?

lots of reading and trial and error....and lots more reading
I've blown many switches, LNB's and I think a receiver or two trying some weird setups.

What I like is if I have a weird issue, I can post it here and either someone has had the same issue or we "talk it out" online to figure it out.
I've tried some stupid stuff...only fell off the roof once ;)

But the other thing I like is when someone asks about if __________________________ will work. If I can try and duplicate it I will

When I got KU Band in 2003 it was to save a few bucks on my ExpressVu bill. The audio channels were in the clear. (they've long been scrambled) and I didnt know much
When I got C-Band 2 years later I was lost. The experienced C-Banders helped me out :)

The other thing is I can remember stuff like this (satellite, OTA etc) but can't remember things like what I had for dinner last night ;)
(kinda like the Married with Children episode when playboy playmate Brandi Brandt showed up at the shoe store and Al knew it was her. Steve said are you sure? Al's response
"Steve I may not remember the color of my wife's eyes or my children's birthday but I know thats Brandi Brandt") :)

also being single helps...

lots of reading and trial and error....and lots more reading
I've blown many switches, LNB's and I think a receiver or two trying some weird setups.

What I like is if I have a weird issue, I can post it here and either someone has had the same issue or we "talk it out" online to figure it out.
I've tried some stupid stuff...only fell off the roof once ;)

But the other thing I like is when someone asks about if __________________________ will work. If I can try and duplicate it I will

When I got KU Band in 2003 it was to save a few bucks on my ExpressVu bill. The audio channels were in the clear. (they've long been scrambled) and I didnt know much
When I got C-Band 2 years later I was lost. The experienced C-Banders helped me out :)

The other thing is I can remember stuff like this (satellite, OTA etc) but can't remember things like what I had for dinner last night ;)
(kinda like the Married with Children episode when playboy playmate Brandi Brandt showed up at the shoe store and Al knew it was her. Steve said are you sure? Al's response
"Steve I may not remember the color of my wife's eyes or my children's birthday but I know thats Brandi Brandt") :)

also being single helps...

That show is a classic............:) It never gets old.

When you drive the straight, well paved road you drive fast and notice little about what is out your window. When you drive the road with curves, bumps and occasional potholes you slow down and remember things about where those events are.

The same applies to FTA satellite as I could have bought a full blown kit online and after the install I would have been done for a few years. I probably would know a lot about what is on what satellite but my memory of that one install would be weak over time. Instead I chose to work with mutiple odd dishes, multiple locations in my yard, and a entry level receiver. I also tried inverted dishes, built my own LNB brackets, tried different mounting styles, etc ... I almost could install a dish blindfolded :)

Experimenting with new ideas keeps your mind fresh.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts