How Do You Release The HR-21 Without DOD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
What I mean is, how do you release a brand new HD-DVR, make it EXTREMELY difficult to get a HR20, but make DOD only available to the HR20. As a new subscriber, I'm kind of mad that I can't get DOD on my HR21, and I can't get the HR20 either. You'd think they would hold off on releasing the HR21 until it has software for DOD. OR, at least make the HR20 available still for customers who want their DOD. Makes no sense to me.

Yea, does sound stupid but I think D* was just more worried about the $'s that they'd save by getting the HR21 out. Based on the earnings call yesterday it sounds like D* saves close to $200 per HR21 vs. HR20 while right now they're not making a cent off of the DoD feature.

With that said, hopefully D* will get the code out into the CE process soon, the sooner it gets there the sooner it can make it to GA.

HR-20 vs HR-21

How hard is it to get a HR-20? I was expecting 2 for my install on Saturday morning. I will call tomorrow and if it turns out that I will be getting 2 HR-21s, I might cancel the installation and stick with my Dish HDDVRs. Do they charge the same for the HR-20 and the HR-21. I am getting one discounted to $199 and the 2nd one at the normal price of $299. I will be crossing my fingers for the HR-20.
Wayne

Although a sad direction change as this is one of the few combo devices I prefer to stay together; BUT just remember that DirecTV is not in the OTA biz and likely does not want to be accountable for issues that that really may not have any control over.. That is the end user's responsibility, between them and their local affiliates - PLUS most new TVs will have the ATSC tuner built-in anyhow.

How hard is it to get a HR-20? I was expecting 2 for my install on Saturday morning. I will call tomorrow and if it turns out that I will be getting 2 HR-21s, I might cancel the installation and stick with my Dish HDDVRs. Do they charge the same for the HR-20 and the HR-21. I am getting one discounted to $199 and the 2nd one at the normal price of $299. I will be crossing my fingers for the HR-20.
Wayne

Call D* right now and tell them you want the HR20 because you can't get all your local HD stations via satellite, and if they can't to cancel the order. Some folks have reported if they make a big enough stink they'll get the HR20's but it migh be a refurb and not a new unit.

Called three times and all I hear is: you get what the installer brings. They claim that even if they try to send me another rcvr it may still be the HR21. I'm considering going to BB or CC and getting one then sending the HR21 back to them and see if they'll give my account credit. prob not, but worth a shot!

Call D* right now and tell them you want the HR20 because you can't get all your local HD stations via satellite, and if they can't to cancel the order. Some folks have reported if they make a big enough stink they'll get the HR20's but it migh be a refurb and not a new unit.

The HR21 has better processor by Broadcom and is backwards compatible so I do not understand why those customers with proper firmware cannot get DOD yet.
:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)