How does Auto Backup work?

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi all, in the Setup - Auto Backup menu, you can schedule a daily backup of your system. Apparently it doesn't use a USB stick, but backs up to the /media folder. The only way to see what happened is to telnet to the receiver's IP address, login as root, and cd to the /media directory. The result is a TAR file of 65 kB and an auto install file which has 0 bytes in it.

Examining the TAR file shows various files in /etc including enigma2. Now to my question, let's say I mess up my receiver using a new firmware build. (This has happened before). How do I restore the daily backup? Copy files that are in the TAR file by hand? What does the Auto Install do, and why is the file 0 bytes in length? I just double checked and the Auto Install menu item in On.

Anyway maybe others will find this info useful, thanks for the help,
Al Rovner

Hi Brian, yes I'm using TNAP 3, I wonder if I found two software bugs? I have a USB drive installed and it is shown when I select Menu - Information - About. If I select Menu - Setup - Auto Backup, only /media, /media/test, and root are listed under Backup Location. The USB device is not shown, that's the first bug.

If I reboot the receiver, I'm not asked if I want to restore the existing Backup saved in /media, which the OpenPLi web page implies will happen. That's the second bug.

Has anyone else tried the backup process?
Al R.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using the SatelliteGuys app!

Is the USB drive recognized when it is plugged into the STB? Sounds like the USB drive is not recognized by the STB. Maybe try inititializing using the STB GUI?

In the AutoBackUp Configuration menu the back-up location has three choices: Root, /media and USB. If I manually initiate the AutoBackup (instead of waiting for the daily auto), the back-up is created and available for the restore process.

Reactions: SDA_FL_USA
Hi all, in the Setup - Auto Backup menu, you can schedule a daily backup of your system. Apparently it doesn't use a USB stick, but backs up to the /media folder. The only way to see what happened is to telnet to the receiver's IP address, login as root, and cd to the /media directory. The result is a TAR file of 65 kB and an auto install file which has 0 bytes in it.

Examining the TAR file shows various files in /etc including enigma2. Now to my question, let's say I mess up my receiver using a new firmware build. (This has happened before). How do I restore the daily backup? Copy files that are in the TAR file by hand? What does the Auto Install do, and why is the file 0 bytes in length? I just double checked and the Auto Install menu item in On.

Anyway maybe others will find this info useful, thanks for the help,
Al Rovner
I never use that auto backup feature I use backupsuite and make complete backup but I did just test the Auto backup and what I had to do was change the Backup location from root to USB then press yellow button for Manual backup and it did make a backup to Media/usb/backup.
I think the only way to restore the backup is to do a factory reset but I did not test that.

Thanks guys, yes, you must create a backup folder on the USB drive, then it can be selected for backup. Still not sure how to restore from USB but I won't worry about it now.

Appreciate the help,
Al R.

Reactions: SDA_FL_USA
Thanks guys, yes, you must create a backup folder on the USB drive, then it can be selected for backup. Still not sure how to restore from USB but I won't worry about it now.

Appreciate the help,
Al R.

I found how to restore the auto backup Plugins menu /software management/ Advanced options /Advanced restore/PLi-AutoBackup.tar.gz then press green button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)