How low power of a signal is worth chasing?

Stevemo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Canada
Hello,
I punched my details into TVFool and I only have 4 channels available at -90dBm or better. I am able to see the -45 and -55 dBm analog channels with a amplified set-top antenna on the 2nd floor but the signal is not good at all. There are half a dozen channels between -115 and -125 dBm that are 90 miles away. TVfool says I am unlikely to get them but is this really the case based on field experience on this forum?
If there is a good chance of getting the lower power signals I'd appreciate help in selecting a rooftop antenna and gear that could get them as well as FM. All signals are within 45 degrees of each other.
Cheers, Steve

90 miles away is beyond the broadcast horizon. So that means you would need a good fringe antenna, good low-noise antenna amplifier, AND height, such as at least a 30 foot antenna tower.

That may allow you to recieve the channels acceptably now and again, but would be expensive if you have to lay out money for all of that equipment.

90 miles away is beyond the broadcast horizon. So that means at a minimum you would need a good fringe antenna, good low-noise antenna amplifier, AND height, such as at least a 30 foot antenna tower. It also helps if they broadcast at a higher power

That may allow you to receive the channels acceptably now and again, but would be expensive if you have to lay out money for all of that equipment.

I used to install Winegard antenna systems for a living years ago, so know what it can take to deal with situations such as that.

Those channels at 90 miles are so weak that they would likely require extreme measures like a pair of matched high gain yagi antennas on a tall tower with a top notch amp.

Channels listed as Tropo will likely NEVER be receivable with a stable signal.

Your only options are satellite, cable TV (if available) or buy and install an extremely tall tower with a reeeely big antenna on top.

Thank you for the responses guys. I do have an FTA setup but local would be nice too. I will keep an eye on the two stations I've got for a while to see if anything worth upgrading the antenna pops up. If that happens I'll get an antenna decent enough to bring them in clearly.

It would be nice if they installed the towers on an angle around here...it is a valley... :(

Cheers, Steve

The best advice I can offer is this... look around for someone in your area with an OTA setup and ask quiz them on signal strenght, reliability etc. Best scenerio you'd get a hands on answer as to which equipement you'd need...or they tell you it isnt worth it and you save time and $$$.

Ever consider getting into C-band? sure you wont be getting Global, CityTV, CBC, OMNI etc but what you'll get is far better IMO.

Cheers, K

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts