How many 6000's are out there?

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I was just wondering about how many 6000's are still in use out here. I know there is no way to know the exact answer (other than getting a straight answer from Dish), but surely there is an educated guess somewhere.

I'm still using one and so far I had to replace the 8VSB module once (with one of the free ones Dish gave away). I figure pretty soon the 8PSK will let go, but I've got a free one of those too.

i know a few on this board still have them. i sold mine right before dish stopped most of the hacking. got over 500 for it. i paid 500 for it got three years out of it and made of profit.

I still use one. All original modules. I cant remember how long we have had it. Seems like forever. We also have an 811 but the main tv has the 6000 because of the problems with the 811 when it first came out. Hubby is not very forgiving and wasnt willing to try the 811 again so my son has it on his tv.

Well, I guess that makes two subscribers still using a 6000. :) I know there are a few others out there. I'm beginning to be very tempted to try for the 942 lease option. I have been a Dish customer for about 7 years now and I spend approx $100/month, so I'm thinking that they might let me ge in on the lease offer. But I still think that if I hang on, then I will get a great offer on the MPEG4 move.

I still have mine (got it in September, 2001). I use it as a second ATSC tuner on my main TV (the other is a 921), and also to send "synced" HD channel shows to my other tv's. For example, if I'm watching a football game in the theater, and also in the adjacent bar (in SD), the sound isn't synchronized. Feeding the bar tv with the downconverted HD feed solves this problem.

Brad

Thats a good idea!

I still have one.. Although lately its been flaking out a lot... Gave me a few errors about "smartcard not inserted" even though it was in and I was just changing channels. A quick reinsert fixed that.. Also when switching between dish HD (8psk) chans and OTA (8vsb) chans, I've had it lock up sometimes and "forget" that a module is installed. My workaround for that is to unplug the unit, unseat the forgotten module, reseat, then plug the 6000 back in.. So far so good.

I also want to upgrade to a HD-DVR, however I refuse to pay $250 just to lease it. I also refuse to pay $5 cuz I dont have a landline.

I have a 6000 and a 811 that I am not using which are currently stored in my basement. I plan to activate them (will replace two 301s) around the time E* announces plans to begin their MPEG4 receiver replacement program.

korsjs said:
i know a few on this board still have them. i sold mine right before dish stopped most of the hacking. got over 500 for it. i paid 500 for it got three years out of it and made of profit.

Had one also, paid $149 for it through E* executive offer and sold for around $500 on E-bay.:D

I still have one connected for ATSC only. Switched to Directv two years ago, left a dish setup on 61.5 just for HDTV demo and a signal to keep 6000 active.

I'm still using one, but it's been relegated to my old 27" analog set for SD only. I'm using an 811 and a Voom box on my PJ.

I still use 1 of the 2 6000's I owned. Sold one and bought a 811. The 6000 is in the main theater hooked up to my Sony G70 projector via RGBHV cable.

dfergie said:
Still have mine, bought the weekend of the Columbia Disaster... in ht room hooked to Replay... leave it on 24/7... I have 921 in livingroom.
That's kinda creepy. I got my 6000 that same weekend. I hooked it up to the system on a Friday night. I of course could only watch those free barker channels which included NASA TV. So while checking out my new 6000 I watched alot of Colombia stuff.

Later that night I got the box activated, the following morning I awoke to the Columbia news. My 6000 nearly $400 on eBay last December, when I replaced it with a 921.

Still got mine

I still have my 6000U. What with all the problems with the 811, I didn't see the point in changing to a 921 or 941 until they had been tested for a while. Now with the announced change to MPEG4 I'm going to wait for one of those. Hopefully, they will be full featured and relatively bug free from the start. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to change the receiver for a basic model and then several months later change it again for one with the features I want.

Cyclone said:
That's kinda creepy. I got my 6000 that same weekend. I hooked it up to the system on a Friday night. I of course could only watch those free barker channels which included NASA TV. So while checking out my new 6000 I watched alot of Colombia stuff.
I picked mine up that afternoon (Saturday )from Sears... hooked up then went to work...

I have one. Bought for ~$200 shortly after Voom DBS went dark but channels moved here. Working fine so far. Menu is really retro crap but I like it except it doesn't strech automatically the SD channels to 16:9 and the fact that the only mode I won't have to deal with those pinky lines if I use it 1080i via component output.

Reason I bought it I was thinking about getting it hacked to get a Firewire output but I ended up not spending $700 extra on such crazy thing - rather speculating about BMD's Multibridge HD for $2K which paired with my existing Decklink HD card would give me a full solution.. :cool: :D

Paulus said:
I still have my 6000U. What with all the problems with the 811, I didn't see the point in changing to a 921 or 941 until they had been tested for a while. Now with the announced change to MPEG4 I'm going to wait for one of those. Hopefully, they will be full featured and relatively bug free from the start. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to change the receiver for a basic model and then several months later change it again for one with the features I want.

There's no deal was announced or at least rumored for us, old device owners, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts