How many Hoppers and Joeys are allowed?

How many Hoppers and Joeys are allowed? If Dish has no limit, who on this site has the most Dish equipment?
I think the Joey limit per Hopper 3 is six or least it was was six. My daughter in Texas has one Hopper 3 and six Joeys. She wanted another Joey but DISH said no. So I got her a Firestick for the eight TV and she uses DISH Anywhere on it.

Reactions: jerryez
How many Hoppers and Joeys are allowed? If Dish has no limit, who on this site has the most Dish equipment?
As far as I know...

Hopper 3 is a limit of two (at least one must be purchased).
Under certain circumstances, Dish will allow two Hopper Duos. (One or possibly both must be purchased. Both of mine were.)
Other Hopper models may not have a limit. Some members have had as many as four HWS at a time. I am not sure if that is a limit, or if more than that are allowed.

Last I knew, it was the following:

A. Limit of Two Hoppers. However, a 2nd Hopper usually requires the subscriber to pay for that 2nd Hopper.

B. Dish will subsidize up to 6 Joeys with a H3, but a single H3 is capable of supporting up to 7 TV's for a unique viewing experience, but the subscriber has to pay for that 7th Joey if they want one at the 7th TV.

I don't know if they have changed the above.

I have two H3's and 4 Joeys. I know I do not have the most equipment, but on this forum, there are those who do, and they have astounding set-ups :). Having the high number of tuners has ended all the compromises and limitations of the original Hopper line. Now, I and the other, may watch what ever we want LIVE and not be limited to only the 3 recordings taking place or DVR or VOD. Too often I could not watch a news channel LIVE, or we just aren't in the mood for what is recording but were in the mood for something that was airing on a channel at that moment. The H3 is BRILLIANT at handling all our recordings and live viewing. WE LOVE OUR H3's.

Reason for having 2 H3's is that I and the other in the house hold are both DVR hogs. There would not--and is not--enough room for all our combined recordings on ONE internal HDD. Yes, we do use the external HDD for saving special recordings, but the other and I prefer accessing our regular recordings on the easier accessed internal HDD.

Also, with the 2nd H3, the other has their own Dish Anywhere experience and this matters as only ONE user may use Dish Anywhere at any one time. Also, I have used the other's H3 as a backup when the great H3 cluster-mess affected those of us with 2 H3's, and I've used the other's H3 as a back-up to certain recordings of mine when my H3 as unreliable for a few weeks until an update fixed it--and in a circumstance when my H3 just reboots for no reason. Each of our H3's behave differently in that one H3 may experience a persistent problem that the other does not, and having the backup for a truly desired recording is nice before Dish fixes a problem with an update.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Last I knew, it was the following:

B. Dish will subsidize up to 6 Joeys with a H3, but a single H3 is capable of supporting up to 7 TV's for a unique viewing experience, but the subscriber has to pay for that 7th Joey if they want one at the 7th TV.
If you had a 7th Joey that is a total of eight TVs supported counting the Hopper. I am pretty sure the limit per Hopper 3 is six Joeys, leased and/or purchased. Firestick with DISH Anywhere will work for the eight TV. See my post #2,

Reactions: TheKrell
Wow, I have 1 Hopper 3 on my big tv and have two other tvs hooked up thru HDMI cables thru an AV receiver with an HDMI splitter on my 2nd HDMI output. I only watch the same programs when I am in the other two rooms with tvs, so I do not need a Joey. Plus I only get the Welcome Pack and Prime Video streaming, which gives me more than I care to watch. Plus other than football, I never watch anything live, but record everything that I care to watch. I cannot imagine needing 2 Hopper3 and six joeys.

I only have 1-H3 but I'm tempted to get another just for the Multi-View/PIP Feature. What are the odds that the feature will be rolled out on a 4KJ in the future?
Maybe future 4KJ will be out soon. I hope it has those features and HDR too.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
Wow, I have 1 Hopper 3 on my big tv and have two other tvs hooked up thru HDMI cables thru an AV receiver with an HDMI splitter on my 2nd HDMI output. I only watch the same programs when I am in the other two rooms with tvs, so I do not need a Joey. Plus I only get the Welcome Pack and Prime Video streaming, which gives me more than I care to watch. Plus other than football, I never watch anything live, but record everything that I care to watch. I cannot imagine needing 2 Hopper3 and six joeys.
I have two Hopper 3s and four Joeys and use a RF modulator for my other six TV locations.

What are you running, a motel?
LOL. No motel however it feels like one sometimes. Four bedroom home and I do have TVs at some different locations so it all adds up. The different locations I have are the kitchen, garage, loft, backyard deck, dinning room that turned into my wife's Zoom room, and two in the basement,

Reactions: DWS44 and jerryez
I called Dish the other day to inquire about adding a 2nd Hopper 3. I currently have 1 Hopper 3, 1 4K Joey and 3 wireless Joeys. When I got to the right department, I was told that I would have to have a total of 6 Joey type receivers befor they would allow me to purchase and add the 2nd Hopper 3. I see a lot of members here with less than 6 Joeys on their account. What gives?

I called Dish the other day to inquire about adding a 2nd Hopper 3. I currently have 1 Hopper 3, 1 4K Joey and 3 wireless Joeys. When I got to the right department, I was told that I would have to have a total of 6 Joey type receivers befor they would allow me to purchase and add the 2nd Hopper 3. I see a lot of members here with less than 6 Joeys on their account. What gives?
Many of those members (maybe all of them) purchased their second Hopper 3 from some place other than directly from Dish, such as Solid Signal. There are fewer restrictions if you do it that way. If you absolutely must purchase your second Hopper 3 directly from Dish, just add the required number of Joeys long enough to get that Hopper 3 installed and activated. Then, you can turn around and deactivate the unneeded Joeys, and return those to Dish.

What are you running, a motel?
LOL. No motel however it feels like one sometimes. Four bedroom home and I do have TVs at some different locations so it all adds up.
jerryez, charlesrshell’s Avatar is his home’s TV coax distribution panel, if I recall correctly. There may be a better photo of it in this Forum. I bow in awe to this setup…

jerryez, charlesrshell’s Avatar is his home’s TV coax distribution panel, if I recall correctly. There may be a better photo of it in this Forum. I bow in awe to this setup…

Attachments

• Hopper 3 Diagram MoCA New.jpg
    Hopper 3 Diagram MoCA New.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 200
    325.2 KB · Views: 222