How many National HD channels does E* currently have?

Voyager6

*Cancelled*
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Wokeville
There is currently a thread on the D* board about the 100 National HD channels that D* will eventually have. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=98205 The list includes 39 HD National channels, 21 RSN channels, 8 premium movie channels, 1 PPV channel, NFL channel and 13 NFL ST channels. This adds up to only 83 channels (and 4 of those are to launch in 2008). So much for 100 by the end of 2007.

How many HD RSN's does E* currently offer? E* currently has 32 National HD channels (using D*'s method to define national). I'm thinking that if you add the RSN's to E*'s nationals, E* may currently offer close to 50 National HD channels. Plus we need to add the 6 HD channels that have been promised by the end of 2007. So, let's get a count to show the D* fans what they are missing right now.

There is currently a thread on the D* board about the 100 National HD channels that D* will eventually have. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=98205 The list includes 39 HD National channels, 21 RSN channels, 8 premium movie channels, 1 PPV channel, NFL channel and 13 NFL ST channels. This adds up to only 83 channels (and 4 of those are to launch in 2008). So much for 100 by the end of 2007.

So, let's get a count to show the D* fans what they are missing right now.

D*list is continuously growing. About two months ago there were only about 50 or so listed. So you may be premature on counting D* dead on their 100 channel claim. Secondly, why do you care what D* does...you have a self esteem problem?

Dish has something like 5 times as many hours of HD programming than DirecTV.

I think that after DirecTV add their "channels with HD in their name", it still won't be as many hours of HD programming as Dish has now.

For example, A&E-HD recently started an "HD" channel, which was added by Dish. But, the channel almost never has HD programming ! They show "24" constantly, but it is in 4x3 SD. Even a DVD of 24 from Netflix or Blockbuster is in 16x9 - which shows you how little A&E actually cares about HD.

None of the channels that are "HD" versions of existing SD channels have 24/7 HD versions of the SD programming.

A&E-HD, TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, NationalGeographic-HD all have mostly SD programming - just like the ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX channels, they are in SD, except for Prime Time and big events.

In the fall, Weather Channel and Discovery are expected to have 24/7 HD versions of their SD channels, which will be the first. And those are expected to be on Dish.

It's probably a couple of years before channels actually convert to HD, rather than starting an HD channel with 2 or 3 hours of HD programming per day.

D*list is continuously growing. About two months ago there were only about 50 or so listed. So you may be premature on counting D* dead on their 100 channel claim. Secondly, why do you care what D* does...you have a self esteem problem?
Negative, no self-esteem problems here. D* has been publicly stating their intention to have 100 National HD channels by the end of 2007. D* is using a huge fudge factor by counting their RSN's as "National" HD channels. D* will be lucky to get to 70 National HD channels by the end of 2007 (if their satellite gets into orbit). I wanted to know where E* stands in counting National HD channels if you include the RSN's.

Well neither E* or D* can count the RSN's as nationals untill they make them national. I have heard D* plans on doing that this year. Not sure about E* so I can see D* claiming them in their count. I'm sure HD-PPV channels will be added to make up any difference to 100.

In the fall, Weather Channel and Discovery are expected to have 24/7 HD versions of their SD channels, which will be the first. And those are expected to be on Dish.

And where are you getting this from? I have not seen E* said what the siz channels are?

It's probably a couple of years before channels actually convert to HD, rather than starting an HD channel with 2 or 3 hours of HD programming per day.
Statements I've seen from TWC say that they expect the HD channel to be "stretch-o-vision" until 2008 sometime.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=86526&highlight=TWC

Who gives a rat's arse who has more HD channels. I have E* and I have more than enough channels right now to satisfy my viewing needs. I want to see improved picture quality instead of more channels that few people will watch. And, regardless what any provider may say...someone's gonna hafta pay more for all the channels that both providers will add to compete with each other. Hopefully, ala carte pricing will come into play in the HD channel arena? Give me the choice; give me the picture quality; but don't charge me more for channels I don't want or probably won't watch.

Who gives a rat's arse who has more HD channels. I have E* and I have more than enough channels right now to satisfy my viewing needs. I want to see improved picture quality instead of more channels that few people will watch.
That's just coincidence - if there was a channel you really wanted, that was not currently on E*, you would be concerned with what channels were going to be added instead of PQ.

E* could make the PQ really great - by removing all the channels that you want to watch. I don't see why people don't understand that.

Every channel is desired by a certain segment of the subscriber base. For example, a lot of the guys here whine about the shopping channels, but plenty of people (probably mostly female) do watch them.

Who gives a rat's arse who has more HD channels. I have E* and I have more than enough channels right now to satisfy my viewing needs. I want to see improved picture quality instead of more channels that few people will watch. And, regardless what any provider may say...someone's gonna hafta pay more for all the channels that both providers will add to compete with each other. Hopefully, ala carte pricing will come into play in the HD channel arena? Give me the choice; give me the picture quality; but don't charge me more for channels I don't want or probably won't watch.

Maybe you, not everyone.....

I am moving to Cable after 15+ years of satellite. I am sick and tired of struggling to pull in OTA locals in HD and my RSN not being in HD...I get both with the coming cable system. I am FAR more interested in network HD now then ever before. Since the downfall of the 622/211 OTA tuner - I am fed up....If you live 10 miles to a tower might not be an issue - I live over thirty - ITS A BIG DEAL.....!!!

Funny, its not my wife - its me that cant take it anymore. I spent nearly a whole rainy weekend with no signal - ridiculous. When I missed the last half of the Da Vinci code due to a storm - I called Comcast.

I have been a SAT supporter for the last decade or more. I cant possibly even number how many people I have sent is SAT providers. Its over now.

Maybe you, not everyone.....

I am moving to Cable after 15+ years of satellite. I am sick and tired of struggling to pull in OTA locals in HD and my RSN not being in HD...I get both with the coming cable system. I am FAR more interested in network HD now then ever before. Since the downfall of the 622/211 OTA tuner - I am fed up....If you live 10 miles to a tower might not be an issue - I live over thirty - ITS A BIG DEAL.....!!!

Funny, its not my wife - its me that cant take it anymore. I spent nearly a whole rainy weekend with no signal - ridiculous. When I missed the last half of the Da Vinci code due to a storm - I called Comcast.

I have been a SAT supporter for the last decade or more. I cant possibly even number how many people I have sent is SAT providers. Its over now.
Buh-bye. :wave

I feel for LORAX. I know exactly what he is going through. E* has 30 plus HD channels and that is great! I only watch 3 of them the rest I could give a C..... and for get about my locals on HD E* does not have them. I'm using a OTA for HD but my signal Sucks! So I too have to say Buh-bye :wave to E* and hook up with D*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts