Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Here is just a random question for y'all.

How many FTA'ers (quantity...not a percentage) do you think watch or have access to the Equity stuff at G10? They may not have to watch it (god I have no clue why they wouldn't) but just wondered.

Obvisouly the people with the "undersized" (20") dishes that are fixed don't count. :)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Would be hard to get an accurate count of fta watchers since they are so diverse....I'd guess more than half who know about RTN are probably hooked like me!

The 2 most popular FTA birds I am sure are Galaxy10R @ 123 West and Galaxy 25 (formerly T5) @ 97 West.

Maybe the question should be - how many people who have access to Galaxy 10R watch equity? (either motorized OR fixed dish)

I'd agree with the estimate of 95+% of people who have access to Galaxy 10 watch Equity (I sure do).

When it comes to fixed dishes, I see WAY more non-moving dishes pointed at 97 West than I see pointed at 123 West.

There are FTA dishes that I see and assume are for foreign language programming. In my work area there are a lot of non-english speaking (or not their first language) people. I do not think that they would be interested in G10R for what they would want to watch. I would estimate only 3 to 5 percent are aimed at G10R. I do see more of those "undersized" dishes though.They (both the legal and illegal) must out number the FTA dishes 100:1. I do not see many of what I would call true FTA dishes. I do not know of anyone else in my area that I know for sure that receive the Equity channels via satellite. One or two that receive WNGS via OTA antenna, but don't watch it.

What do we win if we guess the right answer. lol. I'm guessing maybe 55%. There are quite a few out there for the ethnic channels and plenty on the religous channels. Really hard to guess the exact number but an interesting topic nonetheless. I'll bet these numbers will increase dramatically whenever the hackers can't receive the pizza pan providers anymore.

From installs that I have done for other folks - 2-3% have G10 the rest are AMC4 and G25 (101W & 97W). Most folks want their ethnic or religious programing, if they want more - then it is OTA, DBS, or cable.
Bob

How many FTA'ers (quantity...not a percentage) do you think watch or have access to the Equity stuff at G10?

Thoughts?

1. I don't have any friends around here with enough sense to watch FTA.
2. all the 30" dishes I see out there are 97 or 97 & 101
3. I don't recall having ever seen a motorized FTA dish.
4. so, other than the 100 brilliant folks here in the FTA section, I'd have to assume nobody watches Equity! ;)

I live in and drive through the suburbs of LA every day, and pay attention to dishes, and that's what I see...

As for hackers, ya really can't tell by antenna if they're a subscriber or not.
Except for this one small house.... and I wish I'd taken a picture of it.
The house faced pretty much south.
On the west end was a Dish 500 for Dish Network...
...and on the east end of the house was a Dish 500 pointed at BEV.
Now, I suppose they could have had two subscriptions, but I'd wager they didn't. ;)

G10 is probably the 2nd biggest reason I got into FTA. But being that the only FTA people I konw are 2 people at work with C/Ku setups and everyone on here, I can only speculate that most watch G10.

To comment on Anole's post. I bet my neighbors think I am up to something illegal... My wife finally told me enough is enough (4 stationary and 1 motorized) until we move in a few years and have more land. Kind of funny how more land to me says "Hubby get's C-Band"

The Equity channels are a big part of the English language FTA up there. I would suspect that anyone with a motorized dish or who isn't into ethnic programming watches G-10R. As for figures, best bet would be to research sales figures on H-H motors in NA. These should give an accurate count of G-10R viewers.

I don't care much for Galaxy 10, I watch it once in a while but mostly I like to scan for feeds, and watch the OFS (old folks stuff) on PBS, documentaries and such. As for numbers I bet its pretty small, probably all the people on this group X 2 or 3 and that would pretty mcuh cover North America. I"ve installed a few systems for Asian immigrants, I doubt they ever go to G10, and other than those I don't see any fta systems in my area and no one I know locally knows fta(its its true form) even exists.

I would guess the numbers might not be as high as we might guess. In my area of NY, I only know of one home that has a true FTA looking dish. I think he might be a HAM operator too. Someday I'll stop if I see him outside.

I think the FTA boxes sold by the thousands in recent years are most employed for hacking. Seems like every house has a Dish500 on it.

I don't think Equity cares about us watching via satellite. In fact, Gary asked callers in the past on Unreliable Sources how viewers were watching. I hope RTN never goes away for us.

I don't think Equity cares about us watching via satellite.
they don't...maybe others do but Equity doesn't
In fact, Gary asked callers in the past on Unreliable Sources how viewers were watching. I hope RTN never goes away for us.

I don't think it will ;)
Worse case scenerio is they go to DVB-S2 which will happen

The 2 most popular FTA birds I am sure are Galaxy10R @ 123 West and Galaxy 25 (formerly T5) @ 97 West.

Maybe the question should be - how many people who have access to Galaxy 10R watch equity? (either motorized OR fixed dish)

I'd agree with the estimate of 95+% of people who have access to Galaxy 10 watch Equity (I sure do).

When it comes to fixed dishes, I see WAY more non-moving dishes pointed at 97 West than I see pointed at 123 West.

I agree with Davage. When I had only two fixed dishes starting out - that's where they were. I also remember some spanish channels on t-7 ku back in the day before it crapped out.

I think Equity has been very generous with us FTA guys. Gary has expressed appreciation in the past that we like their channels.
We should all tip our hats to Equity for leaving their signal clear.

I have one fixed dish and picked G10R

I'm still pretty new to FTA but looked at all the options and G10R was the obvious choice. Folks at work ask about this Retro Television Network that I talk about and ask what channel that is on. :)

WAG - 85%

Since my motor had to be sent back, i setup the dish stationary on g10r. Like I said before, i really like it. If it had an NBC, I would be all set. i'll probably leave the motor out for now, but who know.

I really don't know how many people watch it up here in the Great White North, but judging from what I can see, most of the 30"+ dishes are aimed at Bev or Dish or both. I think a lot of people when shopping online buy one of the dish packages and the 30" dish is what comes with it.

Funny thinng is a new 'FTA Satellite' store opened up by my office a few weeks back, so I went and checked it out. The guy was confused when I asked how much his 30" dishes were, and pointed me to his wide assortment of 18 to 20" dishes that 'work excellent for FTA' :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)