How many people do you think......

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There are those who said the outdoor channel would never encrypt. They were wrong. I think it's probably almost inevitable that one day equity will probably encrypt also. Let's hope it's later rather than sooner. When Gary post here and says they don't plan to encrypt, I think what he's saying is they don't see it happening in the immediate future and have no plans to do so. The thing is though in the business world plans can change. Remember equity is a business and as such they need to make a profit. They're making no profit off of us. They have others that they engage in business deals with and either purchase programming from and/or sell their programming to. If those others make demands of them that include encryption it will happen. It'll have to if they want to stay in business and continue to make money. That's just the reality of the situation. I think it's possible by drawing too much attention to ourselves we may be able to hasten that day when the encryption gets turned on. Often times in the business world perception means as much as reality. If the perception arises to a content producer that someone who's purchasing their content and redistributing it is actually distributing to far more viewers than they'll actually paying for that content producer could demand measures to prevent this as a condition of future contracts. At that point it doesn't matter if that perception is correct or not. It only matters that the content producer thinks it's so and thus makes stipulations in future contracts based on it. Anyway, that's just my opinion on the matter. I like the equity station like everyone else here. I just hope we can keep them as long as we can.

Funny thinng is a new 'FTA Satellite' store opened up by my office a few weeks back, so I went and checked it out. The guy was confused when I asked how much his 30" dishes were, and pointed me to his wide assortment of 18 to 20" dishes that 'work excellent for FTA' :D

That'll be a very short term business for him selling FTA systems with 18" dishes, especially with a card swap underway on Bell and Dish...

There are those who said the outdoor channel would never encrypt. They were wrong. I think it's probably almost inevitable that one day equity will probably encrypt also. Let's hope it's later rather than sooner. When Gary post here and says they don't plan to encrypt, I think what he's saying is they don't see it happening in the immediate future and have no plans to do so.

Hopefully their signals will stay in the clear. I get a much more reliable RTN signal from satellite then I do from OTA. The programming on the different satellite feeds are very much the same and I would hate to say more to jeopardize them encypting. I do say (and I think it goes for most here) A big thank you to Gary and the Equity staff for their input to this chat board and for keeping their feeds in the clear for us to watch. Hopefully Gary does see this. I will watch and support Gary's shows for his support to us. I only hope that the numbers mentioned here do not end up prompting someone at Equity to think, "huh, theres that many people watching on FTA satellite" and end up taking action to change their signals. I would hate to be without my RTN on satellite.

That'll be a very short term business for him selling FTA systems with 18" dishes, especially with a card swap underway on Bell and Dish...
If it's not Bell or Dish, the hackers will find a way around another system. There is just too much money involved. And no I don't know anything about what is going to happen, just an opinion.

preachin' to da choir

I would hate to be without my RTN on satellite.
I wouldn't worry.

Asking us if we watch is a lot like walking into a crowded bar with 100 customers, and shouting out: "Who wants a free drink?"
Your audience is already pre-disposed. - :D
Everybody will take one.

Now, go out on a busy street in a large city, and hand out fliers to the first 100 who pass by.
On this paper, you have to put down some personal info, then take the bus to this same bar, where you'll get the free drink.
Well, you gave it to non-drinkers, and you didn't make it so easy, so how many will show up?
Damned few. - ;)

On the next street corner, pass out 100 fliers on how to watch free Equity.
- buy a receiver
- install a dish & aim it
- hook it all up
- oh, and it costs money
How many will watch Equity in the next six months?
Damned fewer. - :eek:

And we're all right here - :up

Hopefully their signals will stay in the clear.
other than switching to DVB-S2 they'll stay in the clear
I do say (and I think it goes for most here) A big thank you to Gary and the Equity staff for their input to this chat board and for keeping their feeds in the clear for us to watch. Hopefully Gary does see this. I will watch and support Gary's shows for his support to us.
agreed :)

I only hope that the numbers mentioned here do not end up prompting someone at Equity to think, "huh, theres that many people watching on FTA satellite" and end up taking action to change their signals. I would hate to be without my RTN on satellite.

I think we're OK with it staying free to air;)

I love RTN channels and Retro Jams. Those are great channels not available anywhere else on my local cable or pizza providers. FTA has it's place in addition to your mainstay programming. 4DTV and FTA is the GREATEST!!!

They're making no profit off of us.

How about commercials, infomercials, and inceasing viewership in their self made programs like unreliable sources. People in the intended markets are not paying for their RTNs... very few channels are cable only so even the intended viewers get them for free OTA.

advertising is how they make most their money, so we may not help out Joe's Used Auto but we do help the national type comercials.

How about commercials, infomercials, and inceasing viewership in their self made programs like unreliable sources.
exactly....those paid programs do big business because they are cheap to produce and will pay to get on a TV station. They'll take a 2:30AM Wed nite if they could sell a couple of the producrs

People in the intended markets are not paying for their RTNs... very few channels are cable only so even the intended viewers get them for free OTA.
exactly. All the subchannels they've added recently are probably OTA only and not on cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)