How many programs on DISH have DD 5.1?

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
I know majority of the HD programs have Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as the premium channels, but what other channels or programs have DD 5.1? Do local channels broadcast on DISH have DD 5.1? There's a customer with a 311 contemplating a 510 DVR swap but I'm not sure what percentage of non-HD programs are in DD 5.1. Can anybody help? Thanks.

The following SD channels are DD (not all programs are 5.1 alot will be 2.0)
HBO E & W
Showtime E & W
and some of the PPV channels
Thats all.

I forgot about Starz!

Boo. So if you don't subscribe to any of the premium packages, you won't be able to take advantage of DD 5.1? What about the "premium" channels in AT180 like Encore, TMC W, and etc? Thanks!

I don't think any of the AT180 channels have DD audio but someone else can confirm.

OTA HD is a decent source of DD audio (5.1 in many cases even), depending on what broadcast network content you like and depending on your location, etc... That's currently my only real source of DD content (not counting DVD, HTPC, or previously DVR'd stuff).

n0qcu said:
I forgot about Starz!
How could any E* subscriber forget about Starz!? :rolleyes: At least on the channels I watch, a "Starz! on Dish Network" commercial is injected at least once per each half-hour time slot. :)

The AT180 movie channels (Encore Suite, TMCs) in my experience do not stream DD 5.1 (PCM only). I was very dissappointed personally because my digital cable, which I gave up to get E*, did. I have since dropped to AT120.

this is one of the things that pissed me off about dish. i have all the premium movie channels with cable and if it is in 5.1, then i get it. if dish would drop some of the shopping and audio channels they could add more 5.1 tracks.

DD takes up broadcast space so DISH adds the capability where it can affect the profit and loss column, hence PPV and Premium services.

Quick Question....

problem with 322

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts