How many receivers can be connected to one dish

jonyac

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Maine
I have the turbo HD dish (1000.1 or .2), how many receivers can I connect to it. I've kinda become the campground dish guy and there are a few that are getting dish this year but they aren't in an area that they can see the satellite. I can see it from where my camper is and a few of the other campers are within reach to use my dish. I really don't want to put a bunch of dish's on my lot and don't think management would want it either. Just wondering how many I can put on one dish. TIA

You can do up to 3 dual tuner receivers off of a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish. If you want more than that, you can use DPP44 switches in conjunction with the dish. By 'stacking' those together you could feasible get 12 or more dual tuners on 1 dish. I've personally done 16 receivers off one in a commercial application. Dish doesn't recommend stacking more than 3 switches but I've done 4 with no problems.

without any switches would be 3. If they are dual tuner units (722, 622, 625) use a separator
if you start cascading switches....there might be a limit but I really dont know

I have seen 24 before on a commercial install running off of stacked DPP44's. It worked but don't know if it will work forever, as stated above dish recommends only cascading 3 switches.

Well... You could replace the LNBs on your dish with DishPro duals, and then run 2 cascaded DPP44 strings, for 24 lines total, without exceeding the recommendations.

Well... You could replace the LNBs on your dish with DishPro duals, and then run 2 cascaded DPP44 strings, for 24 lines total, without exceeding the recommendations.

I almost brought that up myself but figured the dish was a 1000.2 or 4. Of course an adapter could be had but if the setup requires more than 16 receivers I'd be amazed. lol

Thanks for the replies. I sure I can handle it but first I have another question. Does any more than the first three require any equipment that needs 120 volt power (other than the receivers)? We do not have power at the campground everyone has their own generator, so if something needs power all the time this probably won't work.

The switches each need a continous power supply. Granted they could all be plugged in at one location near the dish but regardless it has to always have power. The best you are going to do without external power is probably an older style Dish1000 (or 1000.2 with special adapter for dual LNBs) with three dual DP LNBs and two DPP33 switches. That would let you run 6 dual tuner receivers with no power supply.

Great post. I never would have thought of that! Right now, I'm just running a DPP44 and a DPP33, but who knows if that tip might come in handy in the future ;) .

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

If you aren't using any dual boxes you could install 3 dp dual to 34 switches and cascade no need for power inserter

If you aren't using any dual boxes you could install 3 dp dual to 34 switches and cascade no need for power inserter

Very good point. This would be cheaper too. And not to mention if you did have some dual boxes in the mix, they could just run two cables to a switch.

I don't know why I said it was a 1000.1 or .2, it's a 1000.4

Ok. I believe you are pretty much limited to the DPP44 switches then. No bracket to convert that over to standard LNBs that I know of. You could maybe do a 2 dish solution with standard DP stuff.

I don't know why I said it was a 1000.1 or .2, it's a 1000.4

Same difference (for the most part,) other than the orbital slots looked at. Both the .2 and the .4 can see both arcs, these days. The .2 EA variant is slightly different, it's like a DPP twin for EA. No options for DP Duals on EA unless you're very crafty. Otherwise have to use a couple of Dish 300s. Could possibly get away with a 500 with a Y bracket for 61.5/72.7.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Could I run a power inserter from a 12 volt battery that would charge when my generator was running?

What is the input voltage? It looks to me like it uses a 120 volt transformer to power the inserter.

You could run into ''floating'' ground issues with this set-up.

The mack is correct.
interconnecting different power sources (via the grounded coax braid) could have undesired consequences.
Using generators or power inverters could make it even more of an issue.
please be very careful and consult someone with more knowledge on the subject, like an electrician

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)