How much $$$$ have U spent on FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In C band and Ku since I started in 87 I have to have 10 grand invested. Without subscription costs over the years. I became cheap now and try to scrounge what I can. Back in the heyday I just ordered the best. Now with more financial responsibilities then when I was younger I can't do that :(

I'm just roughballing it. I shutter to think if I actually added it all up :eek:

Me TOO!!! :yikes:

I started adding it up in my head one time as I was sitting up on the roof taking a break. When I got to $5000.00, I decided to quit as it was starting to freak me out.

That was before the overhaul of the system with the addition of all the fixed dishes. :eek:

I too try to scrounge as much as possible, but the thing that needs to be remembered is that even a "free" dish isn't free, especially if you drive from St. Louis to Nashville to get it. :cool:

Well, I just ordered a replacement 12 foot dish to the tune of $1830 (including shipping). Recently bought an Azbox Elite for just under $300. I'm sure I spent some other bucks for incidentals such as HDMI and optical cable, cooling fans, etc.

Best guess

My best guess is not enough......... I do not have a HD box and I am about to pull what little hair I have left out now that football season is here.!!!!!!

I will hazard a guess and say between 1500 and 2000, including dishes, satellite receivers (many commercial), LNBFs, and other odds and ends... Just counting the strictly satellite reception-related video equipment that I own.

I've only been into fta for about a year now. I have about $65 into my setup :D. Around a year ago I got a Rex-1 on ebay for $33 and recently got a Coolsat 5000 for $32. 1.2m Primestar (channel master) dish free, mutiswitch and coxial cable from previous direct tv install, free. I also got a bunch of 18" dishes free before I realized they were almost useless. I have my eye on a huges net and a few primestar dishes im hoping to get free or real cheap.

I've only been into fta for about a year now. I have about $65 into my setup :D. Around a year ago I got a Rex-1 on ebay for $33 and recently got a Coolsat 5000 for $32. 1.2m Primestar (channel master) dish free, mutiswitch and coxial cable from previous direct tv install, free. I also got a bunch of 18" dishes free before I realized they were almost useless. I have my eye on a huges net and a few primestar dishes im hoping to get free or real cheap.

I've been thinking my next purchase might be one of these Coolsat Or Pansat second hand receivers just to see if it improves things..Also thought about different LNBF's but would have to do more research on them.

I have been in this hobby for almost 9 years and have invested well over $4000 just by doing a few quick math calculations in my head, but that is hard to say with all the varied items I have purchased over the years. I purchase extra dishes, modify and test them and then end up selling and installing an entire system. I still have about 10 extra Coolsat 5000 receivers lying around, two 6100 boxes, multiple dishes and motors, also several Pansat receivers and a DSR920 and 922 lying around. Have bags of RG6 snap and seal connectors (100 to a bag) and the crimp and strip tool for them, reels of coax, extra switches of all types. Also have a battery pack that powers my receivers and a small flat screen I use to align the dishes with right at the dish, several tripods I fabricated and a laptop I purchased just for FTA that cost me $500 on sale.

At this point after installing and selling items some at a profit I would say I am now ahead of the game (after many motorized dish installs for others) so my hobby is currently costing me nothing but the time. However one can not stop there and I will have to soon purchase a few more receivers to experiment with and some larger dishes. Then I will be in the hole again $$$$$ and have to go back in the buiseness of motorized dish installs.

If I didn't sell off some of the items I no longer use or install satellite systems on the side, this hobby could get very exspensive. Like others who have comented I look for deals, and have also been able to bulk purchase dishes and receivers at a very good price by actually calling the vendors and talking the price down, usually works if your buying at least 5 to 10 of a particular item and you know you have an end buyer to take the excess off your hands.

Winegard DS2076 New on sale....................................$58
Coolsat 5000 Refurb.....................................................$48
ROC Linear LNB on Ebay...............................................$5
SG2100 motor New on Ebay.........................................$54
Experience of finding my first channels.........................Priceless

Including tax and shipping I've spent less than $200.

Priceless indeed. It's still fun finding new channels. :)

In 1989, my motorized Toshiba/Eclipse C-band system cost me around $2500 wholesale total installed (I did the installation myself, but had to buy the post, cable, etc.). Used it for a few years, then sold it to a friend of mine for around $1300 (including helping him install it at his house).

Since then, I spent $$$$ on products, but turned around and sold it to some of you guys. :D

I don't feel so bad knowing I haven't reached the $1000 mark yet. I'm waiting like everyone for a great price on an Hd receiver that does everything....well guess that would push me over the $1000 mark. I did buy my second real system from Sadoun. I'm afraid to drive the 85 miles to Columbus....I'd be like a little kid in a candy store. Blind

A couple of minutes thinking about the stuff I've bought I've probably spent about $2500 over the last two and a half years. $500 or so of that would be shipping charges.

When I figure I've been doing this for around 36 months, 2500/36 = $70/month. I used to spend that on a sub. And I learn stuff as I go doing this and enjoy doing it. As I own the equipment I know that when I spend money to get TV it doesn't just disappear because I can see where my money went.

To be honest... I don't think that I want to know!

When I hit the $10K mark, it was time to put the taxi meter on ignore. :eek: Ouch!

I have sold much of that equipment to friends and some of what I ordered was on behalf of my brother or friends, so my total expenditure is not as bad as it may seem. But, I certainly know that I have supported someone's family! Good thing that I am single! LOL :)

Trickle Down Ecomomy, this is how it works! It trickles out of my wallet and flows into someone else's! LOL! :)

Every hobby is expensive, I just wish I didn't have so many!

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts