How much is the Hopper upgrade costing you?

I have (1) 922, (2) 722 and (1) 311 that is the four leased receivers that I have on my account and that is the reasons I have to buy the Hopper and Joeys. I was not qualified because of these receivers on my account.

I agree, but I am unable to see what Dish can see when it comes to a customer's history. I'm not saying people are lying on here, it's just that I think Dish has some specific reason as to why these people are plan C customers or do not qualify at all. You can tell me that you are the greatest customer in the worl but I don't know that unless I look at your account and credit history. We live in a world today where it is hard to trust what anyone tells you, especially if they are trying to benefit themselves.

I did get DISH to tell me a reason yesterday why I didn't qualify: because I got free installation when we first signed up.

I don't see this happening with telephone (land line), cable, electricity, natural gas, or oil. Dish does it cause they can.
Insurance premiums are riskbased true. For homeowners the response time for the fire dept. Is there a full time fire dept. How close are you to a hydrant. Age of the house material used in construction etc. Auto has to do with the drivers age, type of auto, location etc. All that is explained up front.
Dish has this mystical magical system of deciding who will pay what for upgrades to new equipment. I have yet to hear that it has been explained to anyone. All we ever hear is it cost person A x amount and person C y amount for the same thing. If Dish was more transparent and consistent there would be a lot less complainants.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Cable most certainly DOES give some preferential treatment. After your contract is over if you have paid on time, or have been with them for awhile, you can get additional discounts. But not if you didn't pay. Oil delivery companies absolutely go by past credit with them. Pay on time you get a lower price. Buy more from them pay less than someone who only occasionally buys from them. You didn't mention Cellular, AT&T most definitely gives some reductions to some over others. I won't go into details what I get at times unless you don't believe me. I pay less or can get an upgrade more than some do on an ongoing basis.
Spend more than others at some supermarkets, (and have their card) get discounts others don't get. The list goes on and on, I think you just don't realize it.
As for Dish, it is not because they can, it's because they have to, to protect their business interests. This is expensive equipment to develop and produce and install. Where I agree with you and have said so, it seems like some like you are some how falling through the cracks. But to single out Dish for doing this is putting your head in the sand. Complaining how they are doing it and I am right with you.

So I see what is going on here. If dish gave you credit or a favor, such as allowing you to have an extra receiver on your account, this will disqualify you from getting the hopper/Joey. I don't understand. What I do gather from this, is that if you received any credit or have more receivers on your account than dish allow this will disqualify you from getting a discount and you will have to pay the full price.

I'm not saying people are lying on here, it's just that I think Dish has some specific reason as to why these people are plan C customers or do not qualify at all.
Yes. Just like they have specific reasons for why their CSR's give different answers to the same questions from the same customers. Or, why they keep raising rates and fees, despite almost continuous contract disputes resulting in missing channels. Or, why they don't start training installation techs until days before a major product launch.

I'm sure they have specific reasons for all of those actions. But, they probably aren't very good ones.

So I see what is going on here. If dish gave you credit or a favor, such as allowing you to have an extra receiver on your account, this will disqualify you from getting the hopper/Joey. I don't understand. What I do gather from this, is that if you received any credit or have more receivers on your account than dish allow this will disqualify you from getting a discount and you will have to pay the full price.

There has to be more than that. We have reports from subs still within their first year of being with Dish that are receiving $100 upgrades. They would have had free installs and and are currently getting promo credits. Dish hasn't even recovered their acquisition cost and are still giving them the cheap upgrade. Many of us have received credits for various things over the years and still received the cheaper upgrade. It's confounding at best. Also, I wonder if CSRs even have access to the reasons for nonqualification. They may just be blowing smoke and saying whatever to get rid of the inquiry. I like the Exec Reso woman that hung up on the sub yesterday or the day before. That's class. Dish is not the same company many of us knew back in the beginning.

There has to be more than that. We have reports from subs still within their first year of being with Dish that are receiving $100 upgrades. They would have had free installs and and are currently getting promo credits. Dish hasn't even recovered their acquisition cost and are still giving them the cheap upgrade. Many of us have received credits for various things over the years and still received the cheaper upgrade. It's confounding at best. Also, I wonder if CSRs even have access to the reasons for nonqualification. They may just be blowing smoke and saying whatever to get rid of the inquiry. I like the Exec Reso woman that hung up on the sub yesterday or the day before. That's class. Dish is not the same company many of us knew back in the beginning.

That is basicly what I was told as well. Becuase I got free equipment when I signed up 8 months ago I am not eligable for the promo. While I can understand and appreciate that, ALL need to be held to that standard then.

Two Hopper's and two Joey's for one time charge of $200, no fee for tech visit. Needed to purchase the Sling Adapter for $30 to replace that part of 922, total monthly cost will be will be $96.99 + taxes. This will replace a 922 and 612, both leased.

Let see that will give me 6 tuners without OTA, hopefully someday they will talk to each other.

Moe

In theory yes. Prices should be the same but in the real world they are not. Just like insurance. High crime area costs more, poor credit costs more, bad grades, age. All kinds of lists and yes zip code.

Not saying Dish is the only offender here. I've run into it with a lot of things, and heard of other people running into it with even more things. I'm just saying that, to me, in a perfect world, it's the not the way things should be. Set a price that applies to everyone. If that means you've got to average out the people you want to give discounts to and the people you want to sock it to and set a price in the middle like $200 for a hopper, that to me is what you should do. Just my personal opinion.

Gotta keep in mind, too, that a lot of this stuff is fairly arbitrary. Not just with Dish, with a lot of people. Credit is handled by private agencies in ways that aren't always transparent, and a lot of time mistakes are made that are hard to get corrected on the consumer end. Heck, I got denied for something by someone other than Dish because they said they couldn't *get* a credit report on me- not that my credit was low, just that they couldn't find a report- I asked how that could be and didn't get a response.

And if you want to establish or rebuild credit, there aren't really any ways to do that are straight forward and fair. For example, one thing credit card companies could do is issue cards with very low limits- like say $50 or $100- to people with unestablished or poor credit. That would give you a chance to build up your credit by buying small items and paying them off, with minimal risk to the issuer (Maybe the issuer could even compensate with high interest rates). Instead, they ask you to give them $300 to get a secured credit card, and hold that money, and make you pay off the card with other money, and at the end you're not even guaranteed to be issued a real credit card- you could still be denied because of your income or employment status or zip code or who knows what. That's ridiculous.

Then with companies like Dish, they add a layer where they come up with their own report on you that goes beyond credit, and where you don't even have any clue what the criteria are. You see the people here with high credit scores and on-time-payment histories scratching their heads wondering why Dish wants them to plunk down $700 for the Hopper. They wouldn't even know how to go about fixing that over time to be a top category customer, because Dish isn't saying how they determine which category you're placed in.

I'm just saying, other people have the right to their opinion, but my personal opinion, which I also have a right to, is that I'd prefer things go back to the old days where most stuff didn't require a credit check or some sort of evaluation and the price for one person was the price for everyone. Obviously, they can't do that with like home loans or for top caliber new cars, but they could do it with cell phones and television products and other stuff like that. It used to be your credit only came into play in a few very select circumstances, not in everything you tried to do.

Do you qualify for a DIU? Look at my receivers. I qualify...

I'd prefer things go back to the old days where most stuff didn't require a credit check or some sort of evaluation and the price for one person was the price for everyone. Obviously, they can't do that with like home loans or for top caliber new cars, but they could do it with cell phones and television products and other stuff like that. It used to be your credit only came into play in a few very select circumstances, not in everything you tried to do.

I work in the mortgage industry. If you saw all the credit reports with collections from Dish, Direct, cable companies, cell companies, etc....you'd understand why there is a risk-based pricing model. It's unreal how many I've seen.

I had to send one of the receivers back and then I will qualify, hopefully. No I did not qualify for dishing it up program. I don't think I was ever apart of DIU. I have been with Dish when they started up the network. Never was there a time I failed to qualify for any receiver. I have had them all; Until now.

That may be true however if you are denied something based in whole or in part credit they hsve to disclose that your credit file was used in determining the decision.
This is just speculating, mind you...

They didn't say "no", they just gave a price. They are simply quoting retail prices wheras others get a "discount".

Sent from my phone...

I've been a loyal Dish customer for over 14 years but I have finally had it with them. These unbendable requirements are the height of stupid. All I want is a Hopper and no Joey and they can't make it happen. What a bunch of marketing morons.

I have one Hopper, no Joey installed Saturday. Had zero fight in getting it done. Went through a local retailer. Also been a customer for 14+ years. What are they telling you?

I work in the mortgage industry. If you saw all the credit reports with collections from Dish, Direct, cable companies, cell companies, etc....you'd understand why there is a risk-based pricing model. It's unreal how many I've seen.

Yeah, but it's not just about weeding out the obvious deadbeats and scammers who won't pay. A lot of people are being nicked based on things that happened a long time ago or having "unestablished" credit (Maybe it's unestablished because they keep being rejected for it being unestablished...). A lot of people have issues with things as simple as their name or address being typed out slightly differently on different things. Sometimes they don't like your income. Etc. And so forth.

It's become a jungle that's a lot more simple than "Does this person pay their bills?". It's been a good decade since I've had an unpaid bill- for anything. And I still get rejected for everything credit related. It's ridiculous. I start to wonder if they simply don't like that I'm disabled and can't list a current employer on an application. That really would be discrimination- in every sense. Or maybe my annual income is too low (But if I have a history of paying stuff on-time, why should that matter for a small-time thing? A house, I'd understand why it'd matter.).

And there is never a guaranteed road to establishing good credit. There are a lot of things that ask you to put forward several hundred dollars that they keep indefinitely for the privileged of holding a card that you still have to pay off. Then that doesn't guarantee you that your score will go up or you'll get credit down the line. They're very careful in the fine print to make sure you know that you may be basically doing it for nothing if they don't like some other random aspect of what you bring to the table.

More people than ever are in situations these days where they're getting turned down for credit related stuff. A lot of people who've never experienced it before, like a relative I know who experienced problems when investments went south in the Great Recession, for example. And because credit checks are now pro-forma for basically everything, it's making life more expensive for a lot of people who really can't afford the extra expense, and creating barriers to stuff that they actually can afford but aren't being allowed to receive- like Dish customers who are stuck paying the same rate for SD as other preferred customers pay for HD.

It sucks.

delance7 said:
I have (1) 922, (2) 722 and (1) 311 that is the four leased receivers that I have on my account and that is the reasons I have to buy the Hopper and Joeys. I was not qualified because of these receivers on my account.

I had 922, 2-625's and 1-311 and Mary from the DIRT team was able to do it for me. She said she had to deactivate the 625s so she could check the price for the upgrade of 2H/3J and came out to 200. She called me and I place the order. Also she reactivated the receivers immediately so nothing was lost until install time

When I initially signed up for Dish, I was prepared to be pleased with them. I wanted to be pleased with them. I said to myself, "Great, a great intro rate for the first year, and then a second year that at least has free HD for about the same price as SD cable..". They did a credit check and decided I'd have to pay them $99 for install, then the first month upfront, and get NO HD EQUIPMENT. Right there, I was being told I was a second-class customer and was bitter about it. Other people had free install and were paying the same monthly fee as me and getting HD, whereas I was for the same monthly price as them stuck with standard definition. It started our relationship out on a bad foot. Imagine how I felt when a month and a half later, they raised rates on me despite their first year price advertising that quoted an exact monthly rate in big bold print.

When a company basically tells some customers that they don't value you the way they do other customers and that you have to pay the same amount and get less (i.e. no HD Free for Life), pays more in fees (i.e. no free installation), or pay more for equipment (i.e. people in this thread), it really ticks people off. And, sure, sometimes they'll stick with it anyway, but you can bet they're going to be just waiting until the day that contract expires or the day something else is available where they live or the day some other provider gets channel parity or whatever is keeping them with Dish-- and make the phone call to switch on that very day or close to it. And they're not going to be spreading good word of mouth about Dish, probably the opposite.

Prices are supposed to be prices for everyone. The same whether you're black or white, good credit or bad credit, the right neighborhood or the wrong neighborhood, etc.. People don't like being discriminated against.

You prove my point exactly. People do not being treated different than others and not even given a reason for the disparate treatment. Causes Churn to soar when all these subs then feel that they have no recourse. Stupid move on DISH's part. I bet next quarter they lose subs again and it will be because of this different treatment of existing subs over upgrade prices.

Well that should disqualify everyone that has ever had DISH installed by them period.

I didn't get free installation. And, yes, it still bothers me now several months into my second year with Dish. Customers have long memories when it comes to this kind of stuff. Dish would have been better off just giving me a free installation like they advertised and seemingly everyone else got. The $99 I paid and the money they saved on equipment isn't worth the fact that it was the first step toward me likely churning as soon as the contract was up, and me talking down Dish to everyone who asks me about it. They likely good have had a happy positive customer for life had they started me off on the right foot with the free install and free HD equipment and free HD for life they advertised, and stuck to the advertised first year monthly price instead of hiking it. I know at least one person who might have been interested had my experience been positive and now isn't.

Now they have a likely short-term customer who's bitter about the situation and lets everyone know about the issues Dish has. Of course, unfortunately, cable has it's issues, too, but in different areas, generally.

We need to stand up and demand that these companies stop having double standards. If they advertise one thing in big bold letters, the fine print shouldn't invalidate it for a certain class of people they think less of.

They need to think about establishing positive long-term relationships with customers- which means giving everyone the same deal that's advertised. So no one feels like a second-class customer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts