How much signal lost through barrel connector?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know...Now to finish cleaning up the cabling in the suspended ceiling tomorrow :)

MikeinBaja

I have some of the blue barrel connectors. I guess what I can try is a 20 foot run from the motor and take some results then hook up the setup and see how bad it goes down

I wont have all the sats logged in this setup. Just the "main" ones :)

I do swear by that silicone in the connections though. All I can tell you is that it works great at the beach in a salty air environment (pretty harsh) and I get great pass-through the connectors.

If you're losing 1-3 dB per connector, something is wrong. I appreciate that the F-connector is no match in the instrumentation world, but it is a very inexpensive part that with simple tools and little training can work very effectively in the FTA, DBS and cable domains.

Agreed... A two-way splitter typically has a 3-4db loss, certainly a barrel connector should not. While a poorly-crimped F-fitting could lead to notable losses, compression connectors should never cause losses of that magnitude, since they preserve the proper impedance of the cable.

Larobpra...Pansat 1500 ran the motor on V just fine. Sat there on 91 trying to figure out why the dish wouldnt move....tried different TP's and nothing....then I say motor was set to "disable" instead of USALS.....whoops :eek:
My problem probably has to do with the fact that I pieced my setup together with mostly scrounged up stuff and made up different cables with twist on connectors. I've learned how to deal with it, but a roll of cable, a compression tool and connectors are on my shopping list for both FTA and OTA.

agreed Larobpra :)

compression tool & connectors is the best money I invested. I was a Rat Shack twist on connector kind of guy for a few years. Now compression connectors all the way. Bought the tool at Lowes and usually get the connectors off Ebay.

I do swear by that silicone in the connections though. All I can tell you is that it works great at the beach in a salty air environment (pretty harsh) and I get great pass-through the connectors.

the only salt we have in the air here in MN is if I throw some salt in the air :D

We deal with something here you dont....cold and snow ;)

it would be inside. The only switches I have outside are the 22k switch for the Shaw Direct setup and a 4x4 on the main motorized but that is covered. All other switches are inside (in ceiling in basement)

the issue is how it has to be run through the house. Having to remove part of the ceiling then running it through the garage is a pain in the ass for lack of a better term. Done that a couple times

Iceberg,

I have a place in ND and in Manitoba. I used to have the same problems as you until I built both new houses a few years back. I have a "chase" from the basement to the attic with loads of spare space. I have access to each floor through openable spots on each floor and I home run all to the panel in the basement. CAT 6 for voice/data and RG6 for tv. All rooms have a min of three voice/data and four coax. Yet I still end up with one cable short WAY too often.

Of course cabling is a late spring/summer and early fall only job here as well!!!

Vis

Its just the way the house was built and also how the Dish "installer" had it wired from the previous owner. I have to give him credit, the running of cables in the garage up to the bedrooms is pretty smart. But the rest looked like crap so most of the house had to be rewired when I bought it and switched to FTA :)

Had to rerun a new cable for the other port on the dual. The cable went to the motor but only had about 2" of extra slack. When I switched the cables around the cable that goes into the basement was the "slave" side. So after swapping the cables there on the motor, had to run a new cable down to the wallplate in the living room. No worries and even replaced the barrel connectors on that wallplatee. They were some crappy ones that had been there for a couple years. Put some new shiny 3Ghz ones there :)

the only salt we have in the air here in MN is if I throw some salt in the air :D

We deal with something here you dont....cold and snow ;)

Well, if they salt the roads up there like they do down here when they ice (which is about once a decade), and there is a winter storm blowing the road mist around, then you'll have salt air ;)

Unfortunately, the tropical environmental conditions here in the Gulf South take a serious toll on anything installed outdoors. I've found some solutions that seem to be working, such as painting any exposed hardware (bolts, DiSEqC switches, etc.) with clear enamel. Since I've done that, the corrosion problems that had been plaguing my satellite farm have disappeared.

oh yes they do salt up the roads, but its usually mixed with a chemical to melt the snow faster

Well, if they salt the roads up there like they do down here when they ice (which is about once a decade), and there is a winter storm blowing the road mist around, then you'll have salt air ;)

Not sure how this relates to the discussion, but this salt in the air thing is really true up here in Maine, however it only lasts for a month or so. They put an incredible amount of salt on the roads here. In MY small town of just a couple hundred people, it's put down as a mixture of salt and sand, and we put down TONS of salt every winter. Some places, like Ice said, it can be a liquified version, but that doesn't matter, because it eventually dries up, and gets up in the air.
In the late spring/early summer, all this salt on the road dries up, and when the cars drive over it, it's up in the air as a very fine particulate, and you can taste it, and feel it on your skin and in your eyes. My wife has a sensitivity to the salt, and one year, after a week with several highway trips, ended up with severe swelling of her face.
Usually, after a few good rain storms, the salt gets washed away, but it takes more than one storm to get rid of it. I'm part of the local town gov here, and have been trying to get them to cut back on the amount of salt put down, but I've been outvoted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)