How NOT to adjust your motorized FTA setup!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
First of all, DO NOT disconnect your dish/motor mount and try to adjust elevation like I did, or your dish will fall to the ground and become bent and useless. Just like mine did. So, I will be contacting Sadoun for a new dish. I can't believe I did a dumbass move like that. I'm having a hell of a time with this line of sight nonsense. Yea, I don't mean to blog blog blog here, but it's the only outlet for FTA hobby venting!

So, if your a newbie, and you have a motorized setup, DO NOT adjust elevation and/or latitude with the dish/motor mount undone. Why I did that, I don't know. I think I'm way too tired of tweaking.

So, now the question remains, do you all know if Sadoun offers a replacement Fortec "dish". Meaning JUST the dish itself, not the whole package and assembly. I'm not gonna spend time trying to bend the dish plate back into place. I'm pretty sure the feedarm is ok. The LNB survived, since it did get signal before I gave up.

Man, that sucks, I hate when I do things like that, someday I will get into FTA, I will be sure to remember this. Good luck restoring your FTA glory.

Sorry, no answers from me to your questions, just offering my condolences.

I just visited Sadoun's site and saw the 80 cm replacement package. I think it may be worth the $45 just to order the whole damn thing again. I think I may just go with a tripod setup. Screw this getting on the roof nonsense. I'd rather spend more time watching FTA TV instead of sitting on my roof with a portable TV tweaking the signal.

Oh wow man! That's terrible! Wish I knew something to say that could console you. That's just awful. At least you didn't grab it and go down with it? Or better it than you!

Al

This just happens to be part of the hobby of trial and error. Sorry that this error is costing you a dish. Good luck on the project, and hope to see you watching a strong signal in the near future.

Don't feel too bad guy, My first 1.2 was on a small tripod with no weight, first gust of wind knocked it over and bent the sh*t out of it =)
Live and learn.

It's all good, live and learn. It's not bent as bad as you may think though. It's still picking up signal from my true south (AMC 5) 79 West but I'm sure the bend throws off the ability to track the entire Clarke belt.

As soon as the motor moves east or west for other sats, the signal sucks. So, I'm assuming my attempts last night we're because the pole was not plumb along with the bend in the dish. But, the bend came 2nd. The non-plumb issue was first. Maybe that's all it is. Cause the bend isn't noticeable unless if you really look, but I'm sure it throws off the focusing of the signal.

I think I may just go back on the push-up pole with the limited line of sight. Who knows. I'm still trying to decide on whether or not I should arrange to cut down that branch from the mango tree.

Yes it sounds more like the mast/pole or motor angles. If you are getting half decent signals on true south you should be getting half decent signals on adjacent satellites!

If you take the dish reflector off and place it face down on a flat surface it should be easy enough to warp it back into shape!

Yep...roof installs bite the big one. The one and only roof install I've liked is hakkamike's, if I remember right, the one with the pole through the roof.

I have my 80cm dish on the roof of my shed.....shingles get real hot :) I spent about 2 weeks on that roof when I first started FTA :) I have since done pole mounts.... I LOVE those! Working at eye level (or slightly less) !

I came close to dumping mine off the roof when I installed my setup. Very scary feeling. And I'm certainly glad it's finally set up and working. WAY too hot (105 ) to be going up on the roof to tweak. Hopefully, you can get your's going again.
grusome

Here is how I got my pole level;
I went to the local DN store and told them I needed to buy one of those little level things that snaps down inside the pole. Has a level bubble and everything built right in. I just snapped that down in the top of my pole and was I ever horrified to see what the hand held level gave me =)
Those little things are great.

Dr_Brian_Oblivion said:
Here is how I got my pole level;
I went to the local DN store and told them I needed to buy one of those little level things that snaps down inside the pole.

I want that!! DN store? Do tell me where I can get it in South Florida. Zip code 33060

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)