How Should Major League Baseball Be Run

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
In other words, if you were the commissioner, what would you do to try to improve MLB? How would you address the following issues:
Postseason scheduling (in relation to start times)

Instant replay

Expansion and contraction

Interleague Play

World Series home field advatange (for example, should MLB continue with the stipulation that the winning league of the All-Star Game get home field advantage in the World Series)

Division Series (should the League Division Series be expanded to a best-of-seven series)

Length of the regular season (and the effects on the postseason)

Competitive balance

I don't want to go into the steroid/performance enhancing drugs issue because to me, that has really become played out.

#1 Post Season Scheduling - Im all for starting games at Prime time such as 8pm in the evening. With more and more people working, this gives the best time for the most people to be able to enjoy the game.

The only excepton to this should be Wrigley and Feinway. As the last of the Pre-WWI ball parks still standing, starting a world series in the afternoon is a tradition and should be occasionally repeated. The the newer ballparks there is no history, no tradition, and therefore the start times do not hold any historical significance.

#2 Instant Replay - Im happy with the instant replay as it is now, however each team should be given 2 or 3 instant replay cards for the entire game. If there is a bad call, instead of the managers going out and arguing over it then they should just ask for a replay and have another neutral umpire make the final decision. Too many bad calls are being made, and the umpires won't back down because they don't want to admit they are wrong.

#3 Expansion and Contraction - The problem is that we have too many teams concentrated in a single geographic region. For example, there is 4 teams in California, 2 in Texas, 2 in Florida, 2 in Chicago, 2 in Ohio, 2 in Pennsylvania, and 2 in New York. Before Baseball decides to expand to more areas, I think some of the existing teams on this list should be given an incentive to move!

However with all the said, the way the divisions are setup, it really does not provide much variety. As a Detroit fan, I am sick and Tired of the White Sox, Cleveland, Minnesota and Kansas City. Ofcourse its nice that we do not have to play the Yankees on a regular basis, but its not really fair to teams such as Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa Bay that all they do is play the Yankees. It took 7 crappy years of Yankees Baseball for Boston to finally win their division and make it to the world series.

After 106 years of baseball the Yankees have made it 40 times to win 27 world series, which is 37% of the time. For teams like Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore they either need to hope for a wild card spot or be just a little better than the Yankees which rarely happens these days.

#4 Interleague Play - Although this technically is not right, I welcome this change because its nice to see something different. For example, this year the Cubs got to play Detroit, the last time that happened was during the 1945 World Series, and you know the chance of Detroit playing the Cubs in another world series game aint gonna happen for another 101 years!

#5 WS Home Field Advantage - This is a bunch of crap, the American league almost always wins. They should just alternate every year, or go by the team who has the best record.

#6 Division Series - Yes, should be expanded to best of 7 games. Also I would like to see the world series expanded to the best of 9 games and have Game #1 at a Neutral site like the Superbowl.

#7 Lengh of regular Season - Just fine, no changes necessary

#8 Competitive ballance - Again something needs to be done about the Yankees, the amount of money they are spending is just out of control and isn't fair to the rest of the other teams who cannot afford to spend it.

Be flexable in relation to start times, based on the teams involved. Don't just let the networks put the smallest market teams in the day or late night. Don't start any game after 8 except the first round IF it involves two western teams. Understand outfront that the first round is going to have some overlap so have some planed games on TNT. Play the second round at 5 and 7:30.

Instant replay

Will not work in baseball. Five hour games sitting around waiting on replays, and then speculating on where the runner on second would have ended up on the reveresed call. Different from the NFL where do-overs are natural. No. Just use a camara to look at fair or foul and home run or not with an IMMEDIATE AND FINAL call by something like the goal judge in the NHL. The real problem are places like Houston with too cute by half outfield walls that jut and dive for no real reason. These need to be eliminated with reasonable outfield walls that are non-uniform only if for an actual archetectural reason.

Baseball over-expanded in the 1990s. But the players will never stand for a contraction. Certainly there is no basis for any more expansion. Moves need only happen in dire circumstances, with markets dying. My personal political opinion is that we may be heading in that direction, i.e. post-industrial ex-cities that are now making moves slower, but let's just leave that alone. International (and Canada is not international) expansion is a pipe dream.

Interleague Play

I never liked it. For the best team in a two team market, it is unnecessary. For the second, it deprives them of being the only outlet of an exclusive set of teams, and makes a fan choose, which was not the case in California before. For single market teams, it is just another game, often marketed on the fact that two teams are in the same state (again making fans choose a fav, which many fans would say "I like the Reds, but in the AL the Indians are OK" in central Ohio for example). At the end of the day Minnesota @ San Diego is just another game. If we are going to do it, move Milwaukee back to the league it belongs in an have 2 15 team leagues of 5 per division and play such a series every day.

World Series home field advatange

Best over-all record.

Division Series

Too long now. The extension of the playoffs, particularly in an era where the WS is most likely going to be in the northeastern US most years, is just pushing the sport too late. However, five games IN FIVE DAYS, starting the Tuesday after the regular season, forcing teams to use pitchers as in the regular season. Second round will be seven games IN EIGHT DAYS. World Series should be seven games in nine days. New invention called a jet plane.

Length of the regular season

It is too long, if followed by three rounds of playoffs. Some math whiz should figure out a system where teams play an even numer of games (so many versus every team in the division, so many versus the league, so many versus the other league) so it would be fair. The Yankees and Red Sox should not play each other every other weekend.

Competitive balance

First, break the union. That simple. Every other sport has some form of salary cap which makes the system fair. Impose one and lock them out until the accept, as the heroic NHL owners had the courage to do. Lock em out, for years, if necessary (it will not be). Salary cap.

Second, impose a minor league base salary of, say, $40K in A, $60K in AA and $80K in AAA. If you want your talents developed, at team expense, fine. You will make $40K while that is being done, with no signing bonuses, nothing. If you don't want to sign, fine. Join the Navy. It is insane for the Nationals to pay a player millions who will be developed at a loss in some stumpwater town and then do a year or two in Washington before heading to the highest bidder. What is his alternative?

Third, institue the draft in Latin America. Currently it only applies in North America.

Fourth, pass a federal law that no state, city, county or other jurisdiction can spend more than $50 to build a ball park for a team. If you can pay a player $100M/year, then you can build your own ball park and pay that player less. He will have to live on $50M. Poor guy.

Fifth, change the trade dead line to June 1. This crap of teams acting a de facto farm teams where a player will be "called up" the big club for the drive has to stop.

I would like a 5pm & 7:30pm start time. Those getting out of work late can catch the 2nd half of the first game and those wanting to watch the second game can do so in it's entirety. And in regards to TV revenue, I think this time slot would still be attractive because the finale of the games (when the game is at it's pinnacle) will still fall within standard prime-time viewing.

Instant replay

I would have the umpires wear wireless earpieces. The correct call would be determined instantly by someone in the booth reviewing HD instant replays. Baseball is not like football. There isn't as much room for interpretation when it comes to baseball calls. The player's either out or he's safe. It's either a strike or it's a ball (according to K-Zone). The human umpires on field would basically just be relaying the proper call we all see on instant replay from our homes. This would actually speed up the game as there would be no more need for Managers coming out of the dugout to argue and kick dirt at Umpires for extended periods of time before being ejected.

I wouldn't "contract" any team. I've had a team taken away from me (Browns) and I know how it feels. It's not a pleasant ordeal. I would realign the divisions more so based on location. AL or NL, it doesn't matter. Everyone would be susceptible for a new division. I'd also have each division consist of 5 teams. It still boggles my mind how the AL West has 4 teams and the NL Central has 6 teams, yet the rest of the league all have 5!

Interleague Play

Outlaw it unless both leagues play by the same rules (ie DH or no DH).

World Series home field advatange (for example, should MLB continue with the stipulation that the winning league of the All-Star Game get home field advantage in the World Series)

I would abolish that silly rule. The team with the best regular season record would gain homefield advantage in the World Series. The 2nd tie-breaker would be divisional record.

Division Series (should the League Division Series be expanded to a best-of-seven series)

No. 5 is enough.

To shorten the season by at least two weeks, I would install more double-headers into the regular season schedule. This would allow the season to begin a week later and end a week sooner (ie. before November).

Competitive balance

The obvious answer would be to install a Salary Cap. It would take the best of what the NBA and NFL already have in place. For instance, the MLB would adopt a hard cap. Once the amount is determined, that team has to stay under it. As for negotiating contracts, rookies will have a set amount to sign for (like the NBA). There will be no holding out for large contracts (like the NFL) since the amount a rookie can sign for is already set in place. If everyone has the same amount to spend and has a competent front office, the parity around the league would rival the NFL. Smaller market teams would reap the benefits of ticket and merchandising sales if they field a consistently competitive team. In the end, it would benefit everyone and baseball would be much better for it.

Last edited:
I tell you how I would run it. Make all players play under one year contracts. I actually think the overall payrolls would go down and the desire to play well each year will go up exponentially.

Postseason scheduling
I miss the afternoon games, but understand why they start at 8pm. An earlier start would make the games be during work time on the West Coast.
Saturday afternoon games in the post season could/should be brought back though.

Instant replay
No, would slow down the game too much, especially if it was used on ball/strike calls. They only thing I would entertain was if it was used to make the call between a foul or homerun.

The reason for the imbalance of teams in the league is because you need an even number in each league, unless interleague play happens every week.

They should expand the AL by two more teams, then split both leagues into 4 divisions of 4 teams each. Get rid of the wildcards at the same time, thus bringing back some of the old pennant races at the end of the season.

Short of expansion, at least split the NL into 4 divisions of 4 teams. Even divisions will allow for a balanced schedule within the division, something that was killed when they split into 3 division.

Interleague Play
Don't really care for it, as it further unbalances the current unbalanced schedule. If interleague play has to happen, at least balance it the way it's done in the NFL.

World Series home field advatange
Base it off of record, whoever has the best record gets home field advantage

Division Series

5 is plenty, 7 seems to be too many in the LCS's, I actually preferred back when they were 5.

Length of the regular season
Fine as it is. The only reason I would shorten it, would be to bring the World Series earlier than it is now.

Competitive balance
Salary Cap (ala NFL, NBA, NHL, etc...)

It doesn't matter, but some games on the weekends could be on in the afternoon.

Instant replay
Keep it like it is.

I don't know where you would put more teams, Portland, Nebraska,Oklahoma, Mexico or New Orleans?

Interleague Play

I like it, I would rather watch the Red Sox or even the Royals play the Pirates than the Reds or Cards.

Team with most wins.

No

Keep the amount of games but play more double headers and less days off, they use to and never had a problem.

Competitive balance

Salary cap, max and minimum.

Some math whiz should figure out a system where teams play an even numer of games (so many versus every team in the division, so many versus the league, so many versus the other league) so it would be fair.
Well, I'm not a math whiz, but here goes:
  1. Realign so each league has three divisions of 5 teams. (Move Milwaukee back to the AL, move Kansas City to the West Division.)
  2. Each team plays 22 games against its own division: 4x22 = 88 games.
    Each team plays 6 games against the other 10 teams: 6 x 10 = 60 games.
    Each team plays 6 interleague "rival games" (e.g. Cubs-White Sox, Mets-Yanks) = 6 games.
    Total - 154 games.
  3. Schedule four or five doubleheaders each year. (These could be the abominable separate-admission games.)
With this scheduling it should be possible to begin the playoffs before October.

I will answer two questions with this answer. Post Season will start October 1st with ALL games during the week played in the afternoon to attract young fans.

Instant replay

Stays the same, improve the time they decide IF/WHEN they decide to go to instant replay. They take too long to see if they wanna use it or not.

No more expansion is needed. EVERY single major city that DOES NOT have a team, is within a 4 hour drive, if I am not mistaken, of a major league baseball club. As far as contraction, that is the fault of the owners holding cities hostage. YOU(the owner) wanted to build a stadium that holds 48,000 when you at best has never had a crowd over 40,000.....build a stadium that only holds 38,000.

Interleague Play

HATE IT!! It would ONLY be done every other year.

ALSO hate it. All-Star game is just an exhibition game...it should have NO BARRING on the World Series. It should alternate every other year.

Leave it AS IS. I love the format.

Have the season start on MAY 1st! This crap where players are playing in sleet, snow and bellow freezing temps is BULL****!! Approx. 148 games will cover it..!
May 1st to September 30th. And ALL games on the weekends are afternoon games so that families can do OTHER things on their evenings.

ALSO, ALL pre-season games NO MORE than $3 a piece!

Competitive balance

A hard salary cap OR drop the "fine/penalty tax" to anything OVER $85 million.

1. Realign so each league has three divisions of 5 teams. (Move Milwaukee back to the AL, move Kansas City to the West Division.)
    Each team plays 6 interleague "rival games" (e.g. Cubs-White Sox, Mets-Yanks) = 6 games.
    Total - 154 games.
  3. Schedule four or five doubleheaders each year. (These could be the abominable separate-admission games.)
With this scheduling it should be possible to begin the playoffs before October.

Thank you.:up

Total - 154 games.

You forgot one thing......now you have 15 teams per league and you have to have a interleague game each day

In other words, if you were the commissioner, what would you do to try to improve MLB? How would you address the following issues:
No off days unless the they are traveling between one city and the next. Throw in a few afternoon games even during the WS.
Instant replay
Nope. Fire incompetent umps and replace them with good ones.
If anything, contraction
Interleague Play
Get rid of it. It creates an unfair advantage for some teams due to the imbalance.
Alternate like they did in the past OR just give it to the team with the better record
They should make the LDS become the best of 3 with the WC not being allowed to play at home at all
Keep it as it is
Competitive balance
It would be fine if there is some contraction OR a better salary cap
I don't want to go into the steroid/performance enhancing drugs issue because to me, that has really become played out.
Agreed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)