How terrible is the National League?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Oh my goodness, it seems like just about every score you looked at, the AL teams were beating the NL teams. I don't know the exact numbers, but they can't be good for the NL.

Sandra

Sandra!

I missed you so much!

There are so many threads that need your opinions- what the Knicks did in the NBA Draft, random thoughts, video games, fast food- I even have a thread on terrible sports logos!

Oh my goodness, it seems like just about every score you looked at, the AL teams were beating the NL teams. I don't know the exact numbers, but they can't be good for the NL.

Sandra

Intra-League play means nothing. It is amarketing ploy for MLB. Has no stock what's so ever.

Sandra

Only if you mean east/ west

Got to look at the NL central for the power teams this year.

*cubs* shudder

Cards :) - 2 of 3 from Boston :) - only 1 from Detroit :( - but then 2 of 3 from KC who was on a huge winning streak :)

only 2 1/2 back of the cubies and 2nd best record in the national league.

The Reds had an over .500 record against the A.L. this year for once. :D

Took 5 of 6 from the Indians too. Sorry HD MM. :D

According to the commentators from the Sox-cubs game last night on ESPN, the AL has 47 more wins than the NL in interleague play. That is pretty remarkable given the fact that NL teams have an advantage over AL teams at home or on the road.

Clarrification on NL advantage: AL teams loose their DH on the road, when NL teams are used to having pitchers hit and all hitters play a position in the field. Then they get to add another hitter on the road.

Is this really a big revelation? The AL has been superior to the NL for quite some time now. Case and point: the AL has won the All-Star game against the NL 10 times in a row and 16 of the last 19!

(*Clarification: As a whole the AL seems to be better. Except for my lowly Indians that is. ;))

Only if you mean east/ west

Got to look at the NL central for the power teams this year.

*cubs* shudder

Cards :) - 2 of 3 from Boston :) - only 1 from Detroit :( - but then 2 of 3 from KC who was on a huge winning streak :)

only 2 1/2 back of the cubies and 2nd best record in the national league.

OK, posts like this make me look up the numbers. The NL Central is 41-51 against the American League this year...not so powerful. :rolleyes:

The Cubs are 43-24 against the NL (.642), and 6-9 against the AL (.400). The NL may shudder when they think about the Cubs, but the AL yawns.

Cards are 7-8 against the AL...in fact, every NL Central team is under .500 against the AL except the last place team, Cincinnati, who were able to play the sinking Indians six times.

Sandra

Last edited:
OK, posts like this make me look up the numbers. The NL Central is 41-51 against the American League this year...not so powerful. :rolleyes:

The Cubs are 43-24 against the NL (.642), and 6-9 against the AL (.400). The NL may shudder when they think about the Cubs, the the AL yawns.

Cards are 7-8 against the AL...in fact, every NL Central team is under .500 against the AL except the last place team, Cincinnati, who were able to play the sinking Indians six times.

Sandra

In the end, it means nothing......like polls in politics. What is wrong with Yankees? The Red Sox and the whole AL East when the Rays have THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL? LOL !

THAT is a more revealing question.....;)

The Cubs are 43-24 against the NL (.642), and 6-9 against the AL (.400). The NL may shudder when they think about the Cubs, the the AL yawns.

Sandra

Yeah, got to roll with those numbers though. the KC royals came to bush a week or so ago and took 3 games while the cards had almost every one of their starters on the DL.

With some healthy again they took 2 /3 from KC.

Sometimes Numbers do not tell the whole story :D

With out that sweep Cards would be 7-5, lets go with the fact the cards have lost very few series this year and assume that they would have taken 2 of 3 if they had even a few people off the DL then. would have put them at 9 - 6. Not a bad run.

Now remember we are doing this with Loshe, Looper, Boggs, and whoever else Tony can find on any given night. lol.

he he :D

Yeah, got to roll with those numbers though. the KC royals came to bush a week or so ago and took 3 games while the cards had almost every one of their starters on the DL.

With out that sweep Cards would be 7-5, lets go with the fact the cards have lost very few series this year and assume that they would have taken 2 of 3 if they had even a few people off the DL then. would have put them at 9 - 6. Not a bad run.

Now remember we are doing this with Loshe, Looper, Boggs, and whoever else Tony can find on any given night. lol.

I am pretty sure that by this time in the season every team has someone on the DL that would help their team if he were healthy. Some teams are far more injured than others but 47 GAMES, is not due to injuries alone.

In the end, it means nothing......like polls in politics. What is wrong with Yankees? The Red Sox and the whole AL East when the Rays have THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL? LOL !

Based on what they did to your Marlins, you of all people should know that the Rays are very hot right now and they are for real. Just be glad you only see them twice this season.

There are a lot of 'ifs' in your post, but unfortunately 'ifs' don't count. IF the Giants didn't beat the Patriots they'd be the only 19-0 team...but they did, so they're not. IF Andrew Bynum played the Celtics may not have won. IF Ballack was at full strength Germany may have won...if, if , if.

You can attempt to rearrange history all you like, the bottom line, like Bill Parcells says, "You are your record". And the NL Central's record against the AL is not good...including the Cardinals.

Numbers tell the entire story.

Sandra

The results of the games mean nothing? Is that what you just said? :shocked

Sandra

Based on what they did to your Marlins, you of all people should know that the Rays are very hot right now and they are for real. Just be glad you only see them twice this season.

No...based on the fact that ALL that talent has finally come to fruit. They are not hot, they are FOR REAL....with alot of UNDER CONTRACT talent....so they will be there for a long time.

Sandra,

IIRC, your Yankees looked awful heading into the 2000 playoffs before they got their act together. Ditto the 2006 Cardinals.

Other sports, too- In 1998-99, my Sabres were a very average team that finished 7th in the East, yet made it to the Cup Finals with Hasek and 20 guys named Moe.

According to the commentators from the Sox-cubs game last night on ESPN, the AL has 47 more wins than the NL in interleague play. That is pretty remarkable given the fact that NL teams have an advantage over AL teams at home or on the road.

Clarrification on NL advantage: AL teams loose their DH on the road, when NL teams are used to having pitchers hit and all hitters play a position in the field. Then they get to add another hitter on the road.

I think the opposite is true: AL teams have the advantage during interleague. Playing in AL parks, there is a DH -- and AL teams are already going to be prepared for that, ahving a player on their roster (or players, in the case of a platoon) specifically there for their offensive prowess only. NL teams OTOH generaly resort to someone who there have on the roster for pinch hitting duties who is unlikely to be as good as a regular AL DH.

Meanwhile, in NL parks, you end up having AL pitchers hit, yes, but pitchers can't hit much anyway. The difference offensively between an NL pitcher and an NL pitcher is unlikely to be much of anything -- they are likely to be an out no matter what.

I think the opposite is true: AL teams have the advantage during interleague. Playing in AL parks, there is a DH -- and AL teams are already going to be prepared for that, ahving a player on their roster (or players, in the case of a platoon) specifically there for their offensive prowess only. NL teams OTOH generaly resort to someone who there have on the roster for pinch hitting duties who is unlikely to be as good as a regular AL DH.

Meanwhile, in NL parks, you end up having AL pitchers hit, yes, but pitchers can't hit much anyway. The difference offensively between an NL pitcher and an NL pitcher is unlikely to be much of anything -- they are likely to be an out no matter what.

You make an excellent point with this post. Admittedly, I've always said that the AL was at a disadvantage in interleague play, but your post made me look at it from a different perspective. Well done. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)