How to format an internal hard drive for VIP 722?

jec444

Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
CA
my hard drive died this morning in my VIP 722. Long story short, I decided to replace the hard drive myself. I went to Frye's and replaced the Western Digital 500gig SATA drive with a Hitachi 1TB SATA drive for $56.
Of course, the new drive isn't formatted and whenever I press the DVR button all I get is an error message.
Any way I can format this new Hitachi internal SATA hard drive myself? Thanks.

Only specific drives will work, the drive you got obviously is not in the list or it would've automatically formatted and worked.

Sent from my DROIDX

The one you installed will not work, like the previous poster already said.

Look at page 2, down towards the bottom, at posting #18 of my thread here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/228896-vip622-might-have-bought-farm-2.html

I recently replaced the drive in my VIP622, and I give the model numbers of 2 different drives that WILL work. Those same drives will work in the VIP722 receiver, I guarantee it. The ST3500312CS Seagate Pipeline 500GB drive is the only one that's fairly available at present.

Oh, and here's the MASTER thread that gives you all the hidden commands for formatting and such:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-magic-hidden-commands-reformat-722-hard.html

Reactions: harshness
Many thanks guys!

The one you installed will not work, like the previous poster already said.

Look at page 2, down towards the bottom, at posting #18 of my thread here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/228896-vip622-might-have-bought-farm-2.html

I recently replaced the drive in my VIP622, and I give the model numbers of 2 different drives that WILL work. Those same drives will work in the VIP722 receiver, I guarantee it. The ST3500312CS Seagate Pipeline 500GB drive is the only one that's fairly available at present.

Oh, and here's the MASTER thread that gives you all the hidden commands for formatting and such:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-magic-hidden-commands-reformat-722-hard.html

ST3500312CS is sold out everywhere now except Amazon. I tried to order from Amazon but they cancelled my order. No stock. :mad:

ST3500312CS is sold out everywhere now except Amazon. I tried to order from Amazon but they cancelled my order. No stock. :mad:

That figures. Somebody MUST BE buying these up when they come available, and then double the prices. There's a bunch of them on Ebay right now, but at more then twice what I paid a little over 1 month ago. If you look in Ebays "completed" auctions, there's a whole bunch that just recently sold for less than $50, so they are out there.

I still suggest to watch Ebay, and you should be able to get a brand new one for around $50 or so. I bought mine from Ebay and it was brand new, with full warranty.

Anybody that buys these, should NEVER bring to the attention of the sellers, that they are "the only drives that work in Dish dvr's". That's just asking for the greed to come out...

Reactions: trojan67
Any reason you want to replace the drive rather than get a replacement from Dish? Dish will replace any receiver, owned or leased if one fails. Only cost is shipping which is $17.

Having Dish replace your receiver is the best way to go.

Why you would say Dish will not support these in the future is a puzzle.

Dish still supports the 525 and 625 series SD DVRs.

Does anyone have a list of compatible drives for the VIP722/722K?

The list isn't very big, but there's around 3-4 different ones. I replaced the internal drive in my VIP622 several times over the years. I used 500gb Seagates (normal drive is 320gb), but they were close to $100 each when you can find one. You can BUY a Vip722/K for a little more than that now, as the market dropped big time for them. Or have Dish swap it out for the $15 fee. I finally replaced my 622 with a purchased 722k for $130 I bought off the classifieds here on site. The 722k is a MUCH better receiver than the 622, and has far fewer "bugs".

Here's the list of drives that will work, and are "findable":
Hitachi HCS725050VLA380
ST3500830SCE
WDC WD5000AAJS-57

The ST3500830SCE is pretty much the only one that's been available in the last few years. You will NOT find a drive larger than 500gb that will work. Do NOT even bother to try just any drive, as they simply won't work. Buy one off Ebay, as that's pretty much the market for them anymore. Make SURE it's the "SCE" version, and not just a "SC"

Here's a thread you can dig through: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/223265-Vip-722-Internal-Hard-Drive-Replacement

Last edited:
Reactions: LunarRose
I create this files to make the process easier: this PDF give you the steps to fix your dvr. 722, 612, 622, 501, 508, and others old DVR's

Attachments

• VIP722 612 622 01 508 Dishnetwork Hdd Replace Process.pdf
    265.5 KB · Views: 1,052
How about the hopper with sling. I would like to know the process to force a format.

I create this files to make the process easier: this PDF give you the steps to fix your dvr. 722, 612, 622, 501, 508, and others old DVR's
I added another step to a new PDF
6. After the hard Disk is formatted (about 3 hours) and the DVR is working, use the Remote control and Press: Menu, 6, 3, Info, Right, Left, Input. The Non Volatile Memory will be Erased, Proceed to Press reset (Red Button on the VIP722 right side Compartment) or disconnect and reconnect the AC plug from the receiver. This process will stop the auto formatting process that will happened after the 1 to 5 process.

Attachments

• VIP722 612 622 01 508 Dishnetwork Hdd Replace Process (A).pdf
    259.8 KB · Views: 607
I get to menu, 6. 3.info but don't know where on the remote are right left buttons, can you give more info please? I need to format a new drive I replaced. Thanks

I get to menu, 6. 3.info but don't know where on the remote are right left buttons, can you give more info please? I need to format a new drive I replaced. Thanks

I just used the procedure below and can confirm it still works.

1: To access Memory Dump Screen (press these keys quickly in turn):

(MENU-6-3) (INFO-BROWSE-THEME)

2: Format HDD:
You should be at the Memory Dump screen FIRST (see above).

Press Play, Play, Recall

You will lose all recordings and timers!