How to get BEV Channels in N. California

im2kul

Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Hi All,

This might be a dumb question, but I need to get one Channel (CBN) which is Canadian Channel in N.California. I have Dish500 with INTL and LOCAL dishes mounted (subscribed).

Is there a way to get this channel just by using what I have? Or do I need to buy another Dish and other equipments? If so does anyone have a contact I can use to get the 3rd dish installed for Canadian Channels? Else, can someone tell me how easy is it to install the 3rd dish and where can i get the dish from at cheaper prices? Similarly, do I need to subscript to the CBN channels?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

You need an ExpressVu reciever, and a dish pointed at the ExpressVu birds.

You should do a bit of research to see which TP the channel is on. Some TPs don't work well that far South.

BEV Channels in CA

You'll need to go through a broker to get programming.

I called up the broker already and they said they only offer the service in Canada and not in the USA.

Where should I point the dish to get the BEV channels?

Thanks

your D500 recvr - if legal - is not going to get you any BEV services - even if you point the dish to different sats... the recvr is not programmed to get the channel.

There is a "grey" market and questionably legal way of buying BEV in the USA by having a Canadian address and billing option through VISA. Many Canadians travel in motor homes to places like Florida and Phoenix every year and they feel as though they deserve to take the moble dish with BEV ontop of the motor home with them. If they camp in Canada anywhere - nobody cares about the BEV recvr being inside the motor home. This is the "grey" side... if they travel in Canada and decide to cross the border - are they supposed to be obligated to not watch TV that you legally pay for ?

Beware that BEV is not going to help you solve this problem as they do not like blatent abuse of the "grey" market...

the rest is up to you !

I called up the broker already and they said they only offer the service in Canada and not in the USA.

Where should I point the dish to get the BEV channels?

Thanks

I don't know, there are some other threads here that go into detail about how to point the dish. There's also a section on brokers.

i would go with starchoice if I were you- they do not hasstle you if you are a us sub ( still need a broker /canadian address) and you do not have to worry about losing channels like with bev.

BEV with Dish hardware is a good combo

Greetings,

Provided you are within the "footprint", which it sounds like you are (search this forum to links of maps showing the "footprint" of both), there should be no problem getting BEV in the US. Here is what you will need:

1. You can use your existing Dish Network hardware, with the exception of the receiver
  2. You will need to order a receiver. Either you use a broker (kusat.com is a good one), who ships you the receiver (an extra dish comes with it, BTW), and can provide you with a CDN mailing address, or you go to Canada and buy one there yourself (you will need a CDN mailing adress in order to establish service). 3) Once you find the angle for your dish (again, search this forum and you will find resources), you can easily lock onto satellites 91 and 82 (for HDTV).
  3. Call BEV to start the programming. The benefit of going with a Kusat.com is they will actually call BEV and set up the service, something you probably should try to avoid doing from the US. You will want to use your CDN address and your U.S. credit card.
  4. Once the service is established, you can make programming changes via the BEV website.
It's really a lot easier than it sounds. You can be up and running in less than a week.

As far as BEV not being friendly to US-based subscribers, I know nothing of that. Whatever is true today is not necessarily going to be true in the future. So exercising caution and calling from Canada is always the best option. Either BEV of *C could start being unfriendly to paying subscribers who live outside of the authorized area at any time in the future.

On a philosophical level, you need to decide whether paying for a service where it's not supposed to be offered is something that should keep you from sleeping at night. I know people in Canada who literally steal Dish Network and DirectTV signals. So, I personally see nothing wrong with paying to give your family a cultural advantage that they otherwise would not have.

you could be right about *C in the future but for now I can call them directky fron the us esp if i have a tech problem- with bev I cannot do that-.

Some comments.
1. Many channels are no longer obtainable in S.F. I think if you are in Redding or Eureka w. a large dish you might be able to pull in the missing channels.
2. I have had BEV for nearly 6 years. No problem paying automatically w. a U.S. credit card. No problem calling them on their 416 number. (800 number is blocked from the U.S.) Just don't volunteer you are in the U.S. I use a cousin's address for my address of record in Toronto.
Only mail I ever saw from them is when I alerted cousin to watch for updated card for my 6000 - which she mailed to me.

...mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)