How to get rid of "on demand" icons

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
On my HR34 Genie I did not have it connected to the internet. All this time not being connected to the internet I did NOT have those "on demand" plus symbol icons that are in the corner of the channel name when you are in the guide. Well, tonight I decided to just connect to the internet and give it a try. To make a long story short I hated the on demand stuff and all the rest of it so I disconnected from the internet and turned the HR34 off and did a full unplug reset. Well, now everything is back on but now I have those plus symbol on demand icons in the guide, they did not go away after removing internet access and resetting. I like the guide better without them, is there some way I can get them to disappear like they were before I did this stupid test.

On my HR34 Genie I did not have it connected to the internet. All this time not being connected to the internet I did NOT have those "on demand" plus symbol icons that are in the corner of the channel name when you are in the guide. Well, tonight I decided to just connect to the internet and give it a try. To make a long story short I hated the on demand stuff and all the rest of it so I disconnected from the internet and turned the HR34 off and did a full unplug reset. Well, now everything is back on but now I have those plus symbol on demand icons in the guide, they did not go away after removing internet access and resetting. I like the guide better without them, is there some way I can get them to disappear like they were before I did this stupid test.
You do know that the + tells you what channels have the ability to watch the show from the beginning right ?
There is a purpose behind it.

You do know that the + tells you what channels have the ability to watch the show from the beginning right ?

Since I can't get them to go away I just plugged the ethernet back into the HR34, I guess I might as well have it hooked up just in case I need to go back and watch something. Can you give me a real simple summary of what they keep pushing with this "72 hour look back" thing. They seem to be really pushing this feature and I don't quite understand it?

Reactions: ejb1980
Since I can't get them to go away I just plugged the ethernet back into the HR34, I guess I might as well have it hooked up just in case I need to go back and watch something. Can you give me a real simple summary of what they keep pushing with this "72 hour look back" thing. They seem to be really pushing this feature and I don't quite understand it?

Good question. I don't see a difference with the + between now with "72 hour" whatever vs before. Still has the arrow, still tells you there's VOD, but there is nothing in the menu for 72 hour anything, despite what Hannah and her horse and the stupid guide banners claim.

To me, 72 hour rewind is going back in time on the guide and the programs with arrows can still be watched. Otherwise it's just on demand.

OK, I got how the 72 hour thing works.
1. go to guide
2. use the left arrow key to highlight the channel name with a plus sign
3. press select
4. then select MISSED IT? WATCH IT NOW! from the list and you will get a list of all the shows that aired in the last 72 hours
NOT ALL CHANNELS HAVE "MISSED IT? WATCH IT NOW!" AT THIS TIME.

Now if you just go to the Guide and go to the channel name you want, hit select and it will give you a list of the upcoming shows for the next day or so.

Reactions: larry55
They should list the shows by date instead of alphabetical order. They are already in alphabetical order on the left side menu. No need to have it twice.

no, the PLUS symbol (+) on the top right of the channel number on the guide denotes VOD, the ? symbol denotes the restart feature

See post 5 before you get snippy.

Hasn't that "missed it?" thing been there the whole time? I know I have seen that for a long time.
Just because DIRECTV® has started to advertise this feature now it does not mean it does not existed before.

See post 5 before you get snippy.

Hasn't that "missed it?" thing been there the whole time? I know I have seen that for a long time.

Sorry if I came off as snippy, I guess it did sound like that. I thought you were trying to be funny and saying that you knew what 72 hour rewind really was, my bad. The more I look at what you are saying the more I agree with you, it seems like you should be able to go "backwards" in the guide and "look back" on shows you missed, how they are doing it is really just on demand. I guess the only thing is if they kind of guarantee that the missed show or shows will be in the "missed it, watch it" section for at least 72 hours, because with regular on demand there are no guarantees the show you want will be there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)