How to ground this one, IF I can...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
I need to put up a dish, but, unfortunately, it's one of those 3rd flr apt balcony jobs that has to go in a bucket of cement.

Wondering how, if possible, to ground the dish and coax ground block.

I had one idea, but wondering if feasible...Use the ground block, and mount as usual. But use one of those 2-prong-to-3-prong electrical adapters, and connect the ground wire to the ground pigtail, and then plug it into an outlet?

Would that work? If not, what are some other ideas for being able to at least half-ass ground the coax on a bucket / balcony job?

In the distant past, I put up plenty of dishes without grounding, and there have NEVER been any issues.

Thanks for your input.

Sometimes it just isn't reasonable or possible to ground. In my opinion, it is wiser not to ground than to improperly ground. :eek:

In this situation I would forgo the ground on the dish or coax since the dish is below the roof-line and protected by the structure.

Most modern STBs use SMPS type AC power supplies without grounding. If you want an extra measure of protection, connect a ground wire from a chassis screw on the STB to the screw that attaches the wallplate to the outlet. Your suggestion of the 3 to 2 or the 2 to 3 prong adapter with pigtail uses a similar method for providing ground, but would add an unnecessary item to the flow.

Sometimes it just isn't reasonable or possible to ground. In my opinion, it is wiser not to ground than to improperly ground. :eek:

In this situation I would forgo the ground on the dish or coax since the dish is below the roof-line and protected by the structure.

I think I will go this route. Thank you.

When you get your bucket-dish deployed, post a couple of pictures. :)

You've never seen a pole sticking out of a bucket of cement with a dish on it, huh?

It's just an alternative method for an above-ground mount when no other conventional and widely acceptable ways of mounting are not possible, or feasible.

The only downside is for the customer, knowing that any bump of the bucket will result in loss of signal (which I let them know up front, and they sign an acknowledgment on my work order). But on the upside for me, if the customer can't rotate the bucket back to centerline, it just results in a return trip fee for a service call. But $75 for a 5-minute tweak isn't bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts