How to hook up large system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roofener

Original poster
Aug 22, 2012
Oregon
I am setting up a large system at my house. I am hooking up a hmc plus 6 hd receivers and a deca how would I go about doing this with 2 swm 8 switches. Is it possible off one dish? Thanks in advance for any help.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

You can connect that many to one dish, but why not have Directv do it for you?

Because I am an installer and I get paid to do my own house. I just have never hooked up a system like this before. Why cant I do it? a swm 8 will allow up to 8 channels the hmc uses 5. Could I do it with a swm 16 instead if two swm 8's?

Because I am an installer and I get paid to do my own house. I just have never hooked up a system like this before. Why cant I do it? a swm 8 will allow up to 8 channels the hmc uses 5. Could I do it with a swm 16 instead if two swm 8's?

Yes Do it with a swm16. Less loss on splitting from dish using two swm8 and also the 16 will bridge the mrv across both 8 channel legs.

I have one for cheap if ya want :)

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Roofener said:

Not to be rude but you're an installer and didn't know you need a SWM 16 for that many tuners? Using to 8 ways will give you a 771b error code because you don't have enough tuners

I figured I needed a swm 16 but we only had two swm 8 switches. An I have never did a system like this before so I thought I'd ask.

problem is he has 7 receivers ;)

me personally...use the SWM16....4 lines from LNB to SWM
one cable to the HMC
one cable to power adapter
one cable to a 8 way splitter for the 6 HD receivers

Actually the 4 lines from the Dish connect directly to the SWM 16. It is best to run a separate line from the Power inserter to the Power Port of the SWM16. I have my HR34 connected to the SWM1 output and the rest of the receivers on my SWM2 output. I'm using 2 4 port splitters SWM1 has the HR34 and the Cinema Connection. The second 4 port splitter connects the rest of my receivers.

Iceberg can I also hook the deca to the 8 way switch. And if so will all the receivers be able to watch what is recorded on the HMC?

no need to use a DECA...from a PDF I found

If you accidentally use a DECA on an H24, H25, HR24, or HR34 receiver it simply won’t work. As a rule
of thumb, if it’s got a flat, touchscreen front, it doesn’t need a DECA in back.

I'd go with two green label, certified four-way splitters; fewer unused splitter ports = reduced signal loss (both satellite and DECA).

SWiM16 is desirable if you want to use WHDS as communications between the two SWM8s requires a CCK on the half that doesn't have the HMC to bridge the two DECAs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)