How To Locate & View Disk 2 & Disk1 Folders?

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
In order to Back up the 3 FIles - All_Channel.dat, Antenna_list.dat, and DVBS.dat Radar says you have to locate them on Disk 2 on the AZbox. How or where do I need to go to to view Disk 2 and Disk 1 on AZbox?

In order to Back up the 3 FIles - All_Channel.dat, Antenna_list.dat, and DVBS.dat Radar says you have to locate them on Disk 2 on the AZbox. How or where do I need to go to to view Disk 2 and Disk 1 on AZbox?

Jsattv,

What program are you using for your FTP Client? I personally recommend FileZilla (or MaZEdit 3.0 if you have it working for you). Other applications can be used, but I am familiar with these two. If you use another, then you will just have to modify what I say here to apply the appropriate navigation routes.

Let's use FileZilla for the example.

Open the FileZilla application, connect to your AZBox using your AZBox IP address as HOST, use root as the USERNAME, azbox as the password and 21 as the FTP PORT.

In the panel to the right that is named "REMOTE SITE" (thats your AZBox), left click on the file folder with the "?" and it will open the directories so that you can view the DISK1 and DISK2 folders and others.

Left click on the DISK2 folder and in the panel below named "FILENAME" you will be able to see your all_channel.dat, antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat files, among others.

On FileZilla's left panel named "LOCAL SITE" (this is your PC) select the directory where you want to install the three files. In the "FILENAME" panel below that, select and open the precise file you want to place them in.

CTRL + left click on the files you want to backup so that they are highlighted in the "FILENAME" panel below the "REMOTE SITE". Then right click to open a menu and find "add files to queue". The files and their destination will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. You may transfer multiple files this way. If you prefer, you can just select each file, one at a time, and transfer them individually.

Now, click on the toolbar "TRANSFER" and select "PROCESS QUEUE". The files will be transferred directly.

That's it. Now you have the three files saved on your PC for backup. To restore these files, the process is virtually the same, in reverse order - move them from your PC to the AZBox in the same manner.

RADAR

Last edited:
Jsattv,

What program are you using for your FTP Client? I personally recommend FileZilla (or MaZEdit 3.0 if you have it working for you). Other applications can be used, but I am familiar with these two. If you use another, then you will just have to modify what I say here to apply the appropriate navigation routes.

Open the FileZilla application, connect to your AZBox using your AZBox IP address as HOST, use root as the USERNAME, azbox as the password and 21 as the FTP PORT.

In the panel to the right that is named "REMOTE SITE" (thats your AZBox), left click on the file folder with the "?" and it will open the directories so that you can view the DISK1 and DISK2 folders and others.

Left click on the DISK2 folder and in the panel below named "FILENAME" you will be able to see your all_channel.dat, antenna_list.dat and DVBS.dat files, among others.

On FileZilla's left panel named "LOCAL SITE" (this is your PC) select the directory where you want to install the three files. In the "FILENAME" panel below that, select and open the precise file you want to place them in.

CTRL + left click on the files you want to backup so that they are highlighted in the "FILENAME" panel below the "REMOTE SITE". Then right click to open a menu and find "add files to queue". The files and their destination will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. You may transfer multiple files this way. If you prefer, you can just select each file, one at a time, and transfer them individually.

Now, click on the toolbar "TRANSFER" and select "PROCESS QUEUE". The files will be transferred directly.

That's it. Now you have the three files saved on your PC for backup. To restore these files, the process is virtually the same, in reverse order - move them from your PC to the AZBox in the same manner.

RADAR

Thanks a lot Radar, I had wrongly thought you could see those Disk 1 and Disk 2 files just from the AZBox side. I wanted to Back up my Satellite Files, but first shouldn't I update my Satellite List for North America? I am using FileZilla the Zipped Version, downloaded it yesterday and extracted it with winrar, when I double click Filezilla I can see on the left hand side the 2 Files for my customized 46 Satellite - Antenna_List, and DVBS_dat files that I need to upload into AZbox under My Documents. Not sure how to transfer the Files yet but the Help Documentation said to Double Click or drag them to the Right to transfer them to the Right Hand or Host Side. I am assuming that you have to Connect to the AZbox first BEFORE this can happen?

So summerizing:
1. First I will go to FTP Connect on AZBox and set up for Host Port ID and PW (password). Then Click on "CONNECT"?
2. Then go back to my computer and open up FileZilla, locate my 2 files Open the FileZilla application, connect to AZBox using my AZBox IP address as HOST, use root as the USERNAME, azbox as the password and 21 as the FTP PORT. I guess I hit "Quickconnect" to transfer the files?

This stuff is all new to me & I want to get it right, so I definately appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot Radar, I had wrongly thought you could see those Disk 1 and Disk 2 files just from the AZBox side. I wanted to Back up my Satellite Files, but first shouldn't I update my Satellite List for North America? I am using FileZilla the Zipped Version, downloaded it yesterday and extracted it with winrar, when I double click Filezilla I can see on the left hand side the 2 Files for my customized 46 Satellite - Antenna_List, and DVBS_dat files that I need to upload into AZbox under My Documents. Not sure how to transfer the Files yet but the Help Documentation said to Double Click or drag them to the Right to transfer them to the Right Hand or Host Side. I am assuming that you have to Connect to the AZbox first BEFORE this can happen?

So summerizing:
1. First I will go to FTP Connect on AZBox and set up for Host Port ID and PW (password). Then Click on "CONNECT"?
2. Then go back to my computer and open up FileZilla, locate my 2 files Open the FileZilla application, connect to AZBox using my AZBox IP address as HOST, use root as the USERNAME, azbox as the password and 21 as the FTP PORT. I guess I hit "Quickconnect" to transfer the files?

This stuff is all new to me & I want to get it right, so I definately appreciate your help.

Jsattv,

You don't need to go to the FTP CONNECTION on your AZBox to accomplish this.

If you have your wired or wireless communications set up in the SETTINGS menu under the submenu of INTERNET and you have the FTP SERVER feature ENABLED in the SETTINGS menu under the submenu of NETWORK SERVICE, then that is all you need to do on the AZBox side of the fence.

On the PC side, using FileZilla, type the information in just as you stated for HOST, USERNAME, PASSWORD and FTP PORT and then just press ENTER (or carriage return). It should go directly to a connection with your AZBox. This should also store that path in your quick connect queue.

If you use the QUICK CONNECT queue feature of FileZilla, that is fine, but make sure that you select which "quick connect" path that you want to connect with. You can store other devices in the quick connect library or queue. So if you have more than one entered, use the downward facing arrow to the right of the quick connect button to view all the device paths that you have stored there and select the appropriate one.

For instance, say you have three AZBoxes in your home (wouldn't that be awesome!). You might have one at IP 192.168.1.102, one at 192.168.1.103 and one at 192.168.1.104. But, you might have a PC at 192.168.1.105. So, select or highlight the intended quick connect route before you click on QUICK CONNECT.

The quick connect simply allows you to forego all the typing within the HOST, USERNAME, PASSWORD and PORT boxes. It records that path information so that you can retrieve it quickly later. It doesn't have anything to do with transferring the files (other than getting you connected to the box in the first place).

Once you are connected, you can manage and transfer your files by using the TRANSFER option in the TOOLBAR at the top and or the drag and drop method. Experiment with it a little bit and it will become apparent what you can do.

RADAR

For instance, say you have three AZBoxes in your home (wouldn't that be awesome!). You might have one at IP 192.168.1.102, one at 192.168.1.103 and one at 192.168.1.104. But, you might have a PC at 192.168.1.105. So, select or highlight the intended quick connect route before you click on QUICK CONNECT.

Darn it ! Now I guess I have to change my 3 azboxes ip addresses.
That is exactly how I have my az IP addy's set up.

Been working at getting them to see one another hopefully to get to some of the movies inside of the other boxes, found where they are just can't get them to either transfer using only the ftp in the receivers or to play the movies from another azbox.

But I can't complain since I did most of this in 1 afternoon, and I'm not a tecki...:eek:

Then please explain to me how I can do it!:confused:
I wanted to watch a movie that is in one azbox that is connected to a small tv to the another azbox that is connected to a 46" HD TV.
I can find the movie using the az ftp feature just can't figure out how to copy it to the other box or view it from the other box.:(

I wanted to watch a movie that is in one azbox that is connected to a small tv to the another azbox that is connected to a 46" HD TV.
I can find the movie using the az ftp feature just can't figure out how to copy it to the other box or view it from the other box.:(

Stargaze,

Well... Right now you and I are in the same predicament. This is the threshhold that I am not able to cross myself.

I can see some of the stuff, but I cannot manage it. Still learning, I guess.

RADAR

Wait a minute, haven't you had like a long time to learn this box?
I'm still a newbie with it and caught up to you already! :D

Seriously though, if this can be figured out, I can see some really decent things some of us can do in the future with the satellite and channel lists and other files.

Wait a minute, haven't you had like a long time to learn this box?
I'm still a newbie with it and caught up to you already! :D

Seriously though, if this can be figured out, I can see some really decent things some of us can do in the future with the satellite and channel lists and other files.

LOL! Yeah, you are right, but I have to chase girls too, you know! Wink!

Remember that I tell you that this is a "HOBBY! There are other things that are also a "HOBBY" just the same. One of them has alabaster colored skin, red hair, green eyes and a sweet voice!

If you are not certain what I am talking about, then you ought to take a break from your satellite and pay attention to the little gal sitting next to you! I think she likes you! :D

RADAR

I don't have multiple AZs to test with but it shouldn't be that much of a problem, and there are other options since the AZ IS basically a computer.

If that movie was on a computer hard drive somewhere on your LAN, then you could watch it on the AZ without having it on the HD connected to that AZ. In fact, all three of your AZs could watch that same movie at the same time or starting at different times.

I even watch DVD movies on my AZ using the DVD players on a couple of the computers on my LAN. You just have to enable network file sharing on everything you want the AZ to access, ie, hard drive, DVD ROM, etc.

Jsattv,

RADAR

Great info Radar. Well I finally saw those Disk 1 and Disk 2 files and a bunch of other files as you noted on AZbox yesterday using Filezilla on my Laptop. The only problem I had was when I went to save them to my Laptop it kept wanting to overwrite my new North American 46 Sat Files on the Desktop so I didn't go thru with it. Then the Wireless Connection in Red said that the connection was lost to AZbox. Guess need to connect to a more stable connection via my Desktop?

Also to go from Desktop to AZbox with my new 2 Sat (DVBS.dat & Antenna_list.dat) 46 Sat Files do they get stored in Disk 1or Disk 2? Do they replace the Existing 125 European Channel List that now resides on AZbox, or are Both Lists there after I do the Transfer?

I don't have multiple AZs to test with but it shouldn't be that much of a problem, and there are other options since the AZ IS basically a computer.

If that movie was on a computer hard drive somewhere on your LAN, then you could watch it on the AZ without having it on the HD connected to that AZ. In fact, all three of your AZs could watch that same movie at the same time or starting at different times.

I even watch DVD movies on my AZ using the DVD players on a couple of the computers on my LAN. You just have to enable network file sharing on everything you want the AZ to access, ie, hard drive, DVD ROM, etc.

I am quite curious as to how this would need to be set up. I have yet to figure out how to get windows to network to the azbox, but I have the azbox showing my laptop hard drive info. (don't know how I managed that one), I never wrote down those instructions.:mad:

On another issue, I am trying to figure out how to get the screen shots I have in the azbox to the pc. I can do it with filezilla but thought maybe there was another way to save them to a flash-drive using the azbox itself..
I just can not seem to figure that one out.

Great info Radar. Well I finally saw those Disk 1 and Disk 2 files and a bunch of other files as you noted on AZbox yesterday using Filezilla on my Laptop. The only problem I had was when I went to save them to my Laptop it kept wanting to overwrite my new North American 46 Sat Files on the Desktop so I didn't go thru with it. Then the Wireless Connection in Red said that the connection was lost to AZbox. Guess need to connect to a more stable connection via my Desktop?

Also to go from Desktop to AZbox with my new 2 Sat (DVBS.dat & Antenna_list.dat) 46 Sat Files do they get stored in Disk 1or Disk 2? Do they replace the Existing 125 European Channel List that now resides on AZbox, or are Both Lists there after I do the Transfer?

Jsattv,

I guess I missed this post and the questions from you. Sorry.

The way I manage the issue about overwriting the "lists" or files that you want to retain, is to store them on a disc or a USB drive off the main computer drive (you could probably hide them in another directory on the same computer, but I don't always trust that). Then I just move or copy/paste the files back and forth as I desire. Keeping only the files that I want to work with on the main PC that communicates with the AZBox. Off the HD of the main computer, I keep them in folders with names that identify what those files contain, since you cannot change the name of the file itself.

I am really used to my old, reliable Coolsat 5K where I could PICK the file that I wanted to upload to the box. Or download it to a file name that I selected to keep it seaparated from the others by virtue of the file name itself. The Linux OS filename rules are a little bit of a pain for me, I just am not used to them.

As for Where your files get stored when you send them back to the AZBox, if you follow the procedures that StarGaze has iterated in the "How to North Americanize Your Sat List", then you will be using the ACC program to upload these files to the AZBox and it will place all three of the files in the DISK2 folder, but it will also rewrite the DVBS file on DISK1 within the "DISK2 Backup" folder. The DISK1 folder is normally "read only" but the ACC sends specific commands to make it temporarily writable for purposes like this. You can only do this if you manually do it through TelNet. Then you have to remember the commands to use to open it up, and then to close it (lock it up) again after you are done.

RADAR

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Radar. Have been spending all my time lately fine tuning my Mesh Dish as per my posts in the C Band Section. That existing Satellite List on the Premium Plus is really flawed in that there is No separation of C & Ku Band Sats, and it doesn't even go above 125.0W. So now I'm working on downloading the proper programs re Stargazes' Post but am having some problems recognizing the proper files to open, I'll repost my problems in the North Am section later.

I have an Azbox ME and I set up a wireless router to work with files. There is a built in web program at the IP address and I can see a / directory with Filezilla. I installed the North American Version 1.77 software and I want to install the three channel files (.dat) in disk 2. So far I cannot find disk 2 (but I did see it with the original software. ) Any additional ideas are welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)