How To Move A BUD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Seen somewhere on here that someone asked how to move a dish without taking it apart but couldn't find that thread? Well, I moved that 10ft Unimesh I bought last week this evening so I thought I'd take a few pics to post so ppl could see how I did mine. Your mileage may vary though! ;)

dish10.jpg

dish11.jpg

dish12.jpg

This is the same setup that I used to move my 10ft Winegard back in 2000 when we moved into this new house.

That last pick is of my SAMI and Winegard dishes with the Unimesh off to the left side on the trailer mount.

I moved my 8' mesh(from next door) by taking off the mount and laying on the bed of my old '79 GMC...

That was how I moved that SAMI dish, ie, on that white truck in the pictures only I rode in the back of the truck and held it up while a friend drove it home. That one was only about 2 miles from my house though. The 10ft Winegard was at my old house which is about 15 miles West of where I am now so it got to ride on the trailer.

Other techniques

Loved the upright pole on a trailer approach. ;)
Too bad rental places don't have a pole as an option when you rent a trailer like that!

In another recent thread in the C Band department, hags had a flatbed trailer, and rocked his 12' Paraclipse over 30 degrees (?) on the back supports of the dish to make it less wide.
Something unique to the Paraclipse, but it solved his problem. :up

Lot of guys with pickup trucks break a 10'er into four pieces, and they just fit!
A few seem to have somehow managed to get 'em home whole! ;)

8'ers don't sound like such a problem, but when they are one-piece, they're awkward.
Here's how I handled that:

I got two 2x6's, 10' long. We drilled two holes in each, to match the bolt holes in the back of the BV dish.
It was a bit awkward to put the boards onto the back side of the dish, but once we did, that provided something to tie to.
As you can see, the motor uses the same bolt pattern, so it was secured to the far end of the 2x6's.
(...and we used the motor as the hole-template for the dish, too) - :up
Lowe's supplied the new bolts, nuts, and big fender washers to secure everything. Maybe $10.
That was for the Birdview. I rented a small flat bed truck.
Same afternoon, we took boards and truck to get the one-piece perf.
It got bolted to the same boards, and safely hauled away. ;)

What I've learned, is that there is no one best way.
You have to consider everything, and use whatever is best for the dish and situation.

After looking at my dish moving setup I do believe that I could has made that mounting post about a foot or more shorter and still would have been able to transport a 12 footer on it. The mount on the bottom also needs some diagonal braces too. But hey, it's moved two 10 ft dishes like it is but to be honest, I don't think it will ever move another one. ;)

I would have loved to see the looks of peoples faces as you drove down the road. :)

I would have loved to see the looks of peoples faces as you drove down the road. :)

Same here. I had people stopping in their tracks to look at the Paraclipse I was pulling, I can only imagine what an upright dish on a trailer would garner.

Same here. I had people stopping in their tracks to look at the Paraclipse I was pulling, I can only imagine what an upright dish on a trailer would garner.

Luckily that dish was only about 4 miles from my house so not many ppl got to see this one. The Winegard that I moved back in 2000 was 15 miles away and was mostly 4 lane road (US 460) for that trip.

3 of us picked that Unimesh up off the post and carried it about 75 ft across the front yard to the trailer. Two ppl could have done it if they were young strapping "bucks". The age of the 3 of us was 40, 67 and 70 and we did stop 3 times to catch our breath. ;)

That 12ft Connifer dish that I was screwed out of a couple of years back was too heavy to do much with. On that one I had taken the dish off the mount and had separated it into 2 pieces and was going to haul it that way. That dish polar mount weighed a bunch as two of us couldn't get it off the post even with the dish removed. The rest is history on that one though as the guy screwed me out of it in the end. :mad: Win a few, loose a few and some get rained out!

That 12ft Connifer dish that I was screwed out of a couple of years back was too heavy to do much with. On that one I had taken the dish off the mount and had separated it into 2 pieces and was going to haul it that way. That dish polar mount weighed a bunch as two of us couldn't get it off the post even with the dish removed. The rest is history on that one though as the guy screwed me out of it in the end. :mad: Win a few, loose a few and some get rained out!

What happened that you got screwed?

You did the work and the owner changed his mind???

I moved mine my renting a UHAUL and placing it in the back. Just sat it propped against the inside wall. Secured to the sides with Gorilla tape to keep it from sliding. Sounds crazy but it worked great. Not the cheapest. But, it made the trip without any bending or moving of adjustments.

By the way, dont try to get up on a ladder by yourself with one of these. I carried mine up a ladder and onto the mount alone and it almost ended in disaster. I got lucky and slightly bent the mesh and just bashed myself in the face with the bracket. Yes, that is lucky considering. I can imagine falling off the ladder and having it fall on top of you. not pretty.

What happened that you got screwed?

You did the work and the owner changed his mind???

Don't know the full story from his end but there was two of those 12ft Conifer dishes on his property. He didn't live on that property but is younger brother did live in one of the houses on that property and knew that I was moving one of those dishes.

I made two 40 mile trips there getting that dish down so I could move it in pieces but cold weather caught up with me that fall and I decided to wait until spring to finish that move. Called the guy that owned them and told him what I was going to do and he said no problem.

Next spring I called him and let him know that I was going after that dish the following weekend and he said it was waiting right where I left it. Got 3 friends to ride along to help and when I got there BOTH DISHES WERE GONE!! And NO ONE WAS HOME FOR ME TO BITCH TOO!! I figure the younger brother either sold them or scrapped them and didn't tell his older brother what he did.

I called the guy and gave him a piece of my mind but that was little consolation as I'd made three 80 mile round trips for nothing!!

What goes around, comes around though!

Last edited:
Turn Heads

Yes, I can only guess what people would think when that dish on a trailer went down the road. I recently almost had traffic stop when we closed the Lodge in Ludington and I went down the street with the Moose head in the back of my pickup. He has 29 points and a 57 inch spread.................RT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts