How to protect your dish in high winds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
I have a 12 foot dish that I installed last summer, but is offline because of a crummy mount and winds. This morning, we are experiencing horrible winds with gusts of +40 MPH. As i am watching the 12' wobble around like a head bobble, I am thinking to myself, HOW THE HECK am i gonna make this dish work?

I'm thinking i am going to have to secure it in some way during winds like this... Is this even possible? Is any body have issues like this? Is there a good way to lock down the dish during high winds?

I've been awake since 5am. Who the heck can sleep when its so windy, the lap boards on the house are shuttering....

I've used chains and turnbuckles to lock down the mount so the actuator isn't taking the whole brunt of the force.

Not a normally high wind area here, so not much experience with solutions.
Like Magic said though, I have read where people chain 'em down.

The pros with the +10 meter dishes, deep space comm. and obs. point them begguns straight up to show the smallest surface area to the wind.
I, when there's a storm with strong winds (usually from the north here) move the dish to the extreme east to do basically the same. (actuator completely retracted) I've never chained anything down. FYI: there's no Al in my BUD. 100% steel. Mesh included. Has not moved or been damaged by winds and some storms have had +70 mph gusts reported. Not long ago trees were downed nearby, and the BUD didn't flinch.

Dig a pit. mount dish in the bottom, build up berm on the windward side with the removed dirt.
Build a wall or have trees planted. Put up another strategic outbuilding.

Well, the dish is now laying on the ground. It ripped the welded cap off the mount top. I had the thing all tied up. But, it was relying on the mount not falling apart. I need to get another mount for this dish.. I'm not going to try and work with this junk mount from China. I went out there in a blizzard/snow storm and tied it as tight as possible to the poll...

CRAZY...

Is this the tek2000 dish that is self destructing? What is failing? Welds, bolts?

Yep, that's the dish.. What isn't failing... The welds, and the thickness of the metal they used is totally under par. Everything on this mount has either torn off, bent or ripped. Ill send pictures, but at the moment, its Nasty outside.

Bummer!

Photos are always appreciated. I remember that you and other buyers had problems with assembling these dishes Too bad that the quality issues didn't stop there. How frustrating!

Have you contacted tek2000 about the failure? Let us know how this is resolved. Hope they make it right!

Bummer!

Photos are always appreciated. I remember that you and other buyers had problems with assembling these dishes Too bad that the quality issues didn't stop there. How frustrating!

Have you contacted tek2000 about the failure? Let us know how this is resolved. Hope they make it right!

I have absolutely no interest in ever having any dealings with tek2000 again. That includes having any communication about the crummy mount he is already aware of. I'm not interested in any so called upgraded mount from them. I am going to try and find a used dish out there and swap mounts.

Agree that the legacy angle iron, square or circular tube frames would be much higher quality.

Too bad that the only low cost mesh BUD in North America is such poor construction and reflected in the reviews. They probably could have offered much better hardware if they cost a few hundred more dollars. Money well spent in my opinion.

The used backyard dishes won't be around much longer and there is a big price jump when buying a quality USA manufactured dish.

Keep us updated on your project!

Reactions: iBoston
Sorry to hear it iBoston! I was disappointed at the time that I could only afford an 8' from them. Looks like it was a blessing in disguise. If I had gotten anything larger I might be in the same boat as you. Even so, when I first put up the 8' I remember saying that the mount could be improved. Agree with Titanium, if they had invested a few more $$ into things such as that then these problems likely wouldn't be happening. :(

Reactions: iBoston
So far, living in the middle of a forest for me seems to be the ticket to avoiding wind hazards.

6 foot tall privacy fence panels, sold almost everywhere, with 4x4s anchored in concrete seem like an economical way to offer really good wind protection on at least 3 sides. Coupled with some other hints as countersinking in a small pit could be another possible solution.

images.jpg

Yea, the only thing left is the mesh parabolic dish. It's driving me crazy, right now its rim is dug into the mud. I have it tied to the poll so it can't be blown away. WOW. Sad... The winds are not supposed to die down until tonight.

I got a mount that i will never use. But i believe its missing some pieces. Its missing the slots the dish ribs slide into. I will take picture of it when i get home in about an hour.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

hmm, possibly... What size pipe is that for? What is the inside diameter of the slip? I don't know how strong that looks thou... That metal rectangle that connects the pipe mount to the pivot bar is what bent on the my dish. What size dish did it come off from, do you know?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts