How to upgrade direct tivo hard drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jvstrat

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2004
How do you go about installing a higher capacity hard drive in a direct tivo? I'm getting a 40 gb one on Thursday. I know how to install a pc hardrive. Does it run on a pc hardrive?

okay this is where I have to stop it. I was a rookie when I did mine and the best directions and tools available are at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/index.php?You will want to look for the sleeper ISO, if you opt for another method user the Hinsdale Method at the TCF. Sleeper gives you all the cool hacks, Hinsdale does not. So it depends on what you want to do.

If I were you, which I am not (I am me) I would put the bucks out for an 80GB or 120GB drive ... it is worth EVERY PENNY.

The best way is to get a fully loaded "plug-in" hard drive from www.weaknees.com/ It will be fully configured like a new drive on a new TiVo. You might pay a few dollars more, but you save that much in avoiding frustration.

slacker9876 said:
okay this is where I have to stop it. I was a rookie when I did mine and the best directions and tools available are at http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/index.php?You will want to look for the sleeper ISO, if you opt for another method user the Hinsdale Method at the TCF. Sleeper gives you all the cool hacks, Hinsdale does not. So it depends on what you want to do.

If I were you, which I am not (I am me) I would put the bucks out for an 80GB or 120GB drive ... it is worth EVERY PENNY.
yup, watch adds, if you live in a big city check out best buy, comp usa etc. if not tiger direct, frys or just watch tivo community usually someone will post when big drives are on sale. Have a Replay myself and put a 200 gig in along with the 40 that came with it a couple of months ago, it doesn't take long to fill up a pvr with stuff :)

I'd like to add an additional drive to my Dtivo (Samsung S4040). Do I *NEED* a mounting bracket, or are there mounting points built in?

Mike500 said:
The best way is to get a fully loaded "plug-in" hard drive from www.weaknees.com/ It will be fully configured like a new drive on a new TiVo. You might pay a few dollars more, but you save that much in avoiding frustration.
Yeah ... maybe. like I said it depends on what you want to be able to do with it. If you just want more space I would agree it can be cost effective to get one from weaknees.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)