How to use 8-1 Diseqc switch with MyTheatre?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wtfover

Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Help!

I have reached the point that the poor little 4-1 switches just don't cut the mustard any more.

I bought this 8-1 switch from England, I couldn't find anything like it in the US.

I spent several hours trying to get it to work last night but nothing.
I pulled a working 4-1 switch and put this in it's place. The system current system works perfectly. But with the 8-1 in place I get squat.
I think I have to set an address for it but it came with no instructions or info.

I'm using MyTheatre 3.33.8

Oh, and the other problem is I have a DP twin on port 1 of the 4-1 diseqc, it works fine. But I think this may be a problem, I don't know how it will work with the 8-1. Should I split the line with a 22khz switch? Put the DP dish on one side of the 22khz switch and the 8-1 on the other side so that the DP doesn't go through the 8-1 at all??

Thanks!

Last edited:
I used to do dvb. If I remember correctly, support for those 8-1 diseqc switches was talked about but never implemented in MyTheatre or Progdvb.

They work by changing the common/ports, and there is no support for the extra set.

I ended up using 2 4-1 switches, into 2 Nexus-s boards running 2 copies of ProgDVB.

That's a pretty neat switch. I've seen the settings to make that work on my old Coolsat 4000 but not in any of the PC DVB software I've played with.

I believe the comm / uncomm is committed / uncommitted.

That switch is supported in Mytheatre two ways. Diseqc 1.0 and 1.2

1) Uncommited 1 then commited 1 = port 1, etc (The included sheet does have the specific logic of the commands.

2) 1.2 enter positioner console and hit east or west until you receive a signal from a known satellite. IE nasa on 110. tune nasa, then hit east west until nasa comes in, save as position X for that port number, on to the next port.

I had a couple of these switches and with my Twinhan card and diseqc 1.0 setup the channel changing times were in the MINUTES. So I sent them back. Twinhan's have a diseqc signal problem, so your mileage may vary. I did not known about the diseqc 1.2 setup, so I have not tried the 1.2. This forum has a guy who claims the 1.2 setup works;
hXXp://forums.al7bar.tk/showthread.php?t=111042

Please let us know if you get it working?

PS. 4X1 diseqc followed by 22KHZ tone switches for a total of 8 LNB's works fine.

simple DISEqC switches pass DC to one input only.
So, they are easy to debug/develope code: just hook-up a voltmeter to the selected input and start sending diseqc commands.
You would see the result immediately.
You don't need to connect inputs to LNBs and use Sat signal analysis.

At least, i did so when I was developing DISEqC protocol on my board.

I hope, the switch you have has similar properties (passes DC to single input only).
MyTheatre does support cascaded switches (and your switch is a typical cascaded switch, i believe).

In addition to input configuration, you have to play with "expert" settings, I think. I would try to send repeated command for (un)committed switch.

Last edited:
genpix said:
simple DISEqC switches pass DC to one input only.
So, they are easy to debug/develope code: just hook-up a voltmeter to the selected input and start sending diseqc commands.
You would see the result immediately.
You don't need to connect inputs to LNBs and use Sat signal analysis.

At least, i did so when I was developing DISEqC protocol on my board.

I hope, the switch you have has similar properties (passes DC to single input only).
MyTheatre does support cascaded switches (and your switch is a typical cascaded switch, i believe).

In addition to input configuration, you have to play with "expert" settings, I think. I would try to send repeated command for (un)committed switch.

I have a Tektronix 100mhz dual trace scope and a spare DVB card, I could play with it right here in my office rather than trudging back and forth all day between the office and the back yard.. :eureka

jerryt said:
The diseqc 1.0 logic is printed on the switch.

com a, uncom a is; committed lnb 1 and uncommitted lnb 1 = port 1

Yes, I tried that but I couldn't get it to work.

What's more, I have a Dishpro Twin that I need to put on it,
currently it's going through a diseqc 4x1 switch, I have it set up as:

GEOSATpro GDS41 diseqc 4x1
Gecen SW-03/P 22Khz switch

DP Twin (110w) = CSW1->CSW2 - lof1=11250000 sw=0 lof2=11250000
DP Twin (119w) = CSW1->CSW1 - lof1=0 sw=0 lof2=11250000
91w = CSW-LNB2 - lof1=11250000 sw=0 lof2=11250000
82w = CSW-LNB2 - lof1=11250000 sw=1170000 lof2=11250000
97w = CSW-LNB3 - lof1=10750000 sw=12700000 lof2=0
121w = CSW-LNB4 - lof1=10750000 sw=0 lof2=10750000

MyTheatre expert settings:
1st sw hex 10 rep 2 unchecked
pos 31 rep 1 unchecked
2nd sw hex 11 rep 2 checked

That works fine as it stands but I would like to replace the 4x1 and the 22khz switches with the 8x1 so I can add more.

I pulled the little switches out and dropped the 8x1 in and it just doesn't respond. I would lay money on it I have it set wrong. I think it was probably an addressing problem. I don't know how to set MT up for this configuration, much less how to make it work with the DP twin.. :confused:

I had this switch working in Mytheatre. But it was so slow.

I just used uncommitted and committed with standard type lnb's. Never any pro type lnbs.

Simple work around is to use a Spaun 420f (uncommited) switch as your first switch then cascade you existing stuff after the Spaun. That would greatly increase your number of available lnbs, also you could use more 22khz tone switches.

What are you driving these switches with? How do the switches work for you?

wtfover said:
Yes, I tried that but I couldn't get it to work.

What's more, I have a Dishpro Twin that I need to put on it,
currently it's going through a diseqc 4x1 switch, I have it set up as:
That works fine as it stands but I would like to replace the 4x1 and the 22khz switches with the 8x1 so I can add more.

I pulled the little switches out and dropped the 8x1 in and it just doesn't respond. I would lay money on it I have it set wrong. I think it was probably an addressing problem. I don't know how to set MT up for this configuration, much less how to make it work with the DP twin.. :confused:

this 8x1 switch is already TWO switches inside one enclosure.
DP Twin - one more Diseqc switch.

I doubt that MT supports three cascaded DISEqC switches.

Try to check 8x1 switch with a scope/voltmeter first.
Configure both addresses (1st and 2nd) to 10. And use repeat for second switch.

PS: address 11 is for Diseqc switch inside LNB.

Last edited:
genpix said:
this 8x1 switch is already TWO switches inside one enclosure.
DP Twin - one more Diseqc switch.

I doubt that MT supports three cascaded DISEqC switches.
QUOTE]

Genpix is correct, Mytheatre does not have settings for three switches cascaded.

Altdvb does have three switch settings, so you might try that.

What happen with operating the switch with diseqc 1.2 commands? Maybe satellite positions 1 thru 8 would work?

thread is closed right now

I didnt look at this close, but when I check the OP's other posts, something is funny

top row, left to right --> 121w, 91w, 110w/119w
bottom row, left to right --> 97w, 82w
Why pretell would you have 5 dishes...4 of which are aimed at DBS slots?
I hope you aren't doing what we do not allow here :)

OP needs to PM me or PSB with what they are trying to do before the thread(s) get opened

I reopened thread. Since the OP failed to include the fact he has a subscription to both Dish & ExpressVu, we took precautions and closed the thread.

But he sent me an oh so pleasant e-mail that he is legit. So I’m reopening.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)