How well do the signal meters work with digital OTA?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I was curious how well the signal meters work with digital OTA? Are the meters a bit more sensitive than the meters you get on a tv or digital converter box? I wonder if they have helped people much with finding the right spot to put an antenna on their property as it seems like one spot will work really well then another spot will not work at all. If it was sensitive enough then I would hope that it would tell you if you was close to pulling a signal in like a satellite signal meter does.

Reactions: spongella
the one on my flat screen works better than my converter box. it also goes with the tuner built in to the tv also. but every setup is different.

Dan Rose

DTV meters are not much like the signal strength meters of old. The new meters measure a combination of things and show a calculated result.

That different meters give different readings is almost assured. The key is probably to get the highest reading on the meter that reads the lowest.

When I asked this question, I meant actual signal meters that are outside that you would use like a satellite signal meter. A professional meter like one that Trimax makes.

Trimax makes meters for FTA, not OTA.

I see a couple of really crappy meters (probably based on the same hardware) from King Controls and Antennas Direct and I wouldn't give you five bucks for either of them.

For its part, the Antennas Direct SM200 filters out frequencies outside of a 470-700MHz band.

If I was needing something like this, I'd probably go with a 7" flat screen TV.

I use a DTVPal converter box to aim my antenna. The fact it has a actual meter that doesnt always show 100% it works the best for me

The 7" screens usually dont have a signal meter on them. I know mine doesn't.

Reactions: spongella and jscud
The only Digital OTA meter I have had experience with is a Digiair Pro at about $200 it worked but only for a short time it was not very durable. I believe it is now discontinued.
All the other meters that I have found by googling are FTA or satellite and they don't work for OTA.

I thought I saw a Trimax meter that does Satellite and OTA both.
Trimax 3500/2500/2200 are satellite only from what I found using Google. They may make other models, I really doubt that they make an OTA meter combined with satellite because the tuning is so different.

Last edited:
Ive got the Digiair Pro and have mixed feelings.In the very fringe area here I would say its better than nothing but not by much.The signal to noise ratio is poor so the very week stations dont even show. My only savior is all the stations are in a relative same path so if I peak the stronger station its good for the weak ones.Ive had it since the digital transition and it has been reliable, but seldom use it anymore.After putting up a few antennas with the new signal I can eyeball it with ok results just like the old analog signal. The off air signal around here is not that reliable so most people have me install a dish.

The signals come in very weird here. I have laid the antenna right on the ground and it picks up better (at 70%) than way up in the air. You have to be in a sweet spot to pick it up good or to pick it up at all. I think it has to do with reflections. That is why I was thinking about getting a DVB-T meter for OTA reception.

You can spend hundreds but are you really getting a better reading than with a $60 TV?

I realize that customer won't be impressed with such a cheap tool, but the proof is in the pudding.

Reactions: mr.crane
I also thought it would be handy to see how much of a signal is lacking for local television reception to see if an amp, larger antenna or an antenna designed for a specific frequency would pick the station up. Without a more sensitive meter you do not know how far you are away from receiving a lock on the station. I have also noticed that some of the digital tuners will not lock on right away but as time goes on the lock strengthens.

Hello all,
I have found this meter. Have not tried it yet, but for the price one can't go wrong...
It is the RYS110 meter from IDIY tools. part number USRY01.
IDIYTOOLS.com

Let me know what everyone thinks...
Thanks,

It is the RYS110 meter from IDIY tools. part number USRY01.
The description is not vague about the device being intended to measure analog and digital CATV (NTSC and QAM) signals. I doubt this tool would be particularly useful in peaking antennas for OTA DTV (ATSC) broadcasts.

I'm having difficultly getting my head around what practical use there is for a device that measures signal strength on a cable TV cable.

It is alarming to me that so many of the reviews seem to have been written by someone who speaks pidgen English given that the product apparently intended for the US market.

The description is not vague about the device being intended to measure analog and digital CATV (NTSC and QAM) signals. I doubt this tool would be particularly useful in peaking antennas for OTA DTV (ATSC) broadcasts.

I'm having difficultly getting my head around what practical use there is for a device that measures signal strength on a cable TV cable.

It is alarming to me that so many of the reviews seem to have been written by someone who speaks pidgen English given that the product apparently intended for the US market.

Harsh, I think you are replying to a shill touting his own product...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts