Howdy (new) friends...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeputyDan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Western Kansas (Hays)
Hi everyone! I thought it was time to introduce myself - I've been lurking on this forum for some time now. I'm finally realizing a long held dream to build a home 'out in the country'. In my case that happens to be a few miles outside of Hays, Kansas in the West central part of the state.

I now have room (about 30 acres worth) for all of the 'toys' I always wanted. I'm relatively new to this hobby. I've been playing around with a 4DTV receiver and a 10ft Unimesh dish for a year or so - whenever I could steal a few hours from working on my house. I did mention that I was building a house didn't I. I meant that literally. We (my dad and I) have done all of the work except for the concrete. It has taken us over 4 years of working weekends and whatever afternoons I could get off of work. I'm glad I didn't wait much longer to get started. The body doesn't recover as fast as when I was 20. (I'm 55) My father humbles me every day we go to work. He will turn 80 next year. He is still climbing up and down ladders and scaffolding like a man half his age! I sure hope I inherited some of that stamina!!!

I recently rescued a solid Birdview dish. I've been closely following linuxman's Birdview posts. I have learned a lot just reading old posts. I managed to find time to plant the pole and get the birdview mounted. It joins my original referbed Unimesh and it's twin - another 10ft Unimesh given to me by a co-worker. I also have a couple of 1 meter Ku dishes I bought to try out FTA.

I do have a couple of questions for you guys. My Birdview has a sensor conversion kit installed. It looks to be like the one linuxman posted pictures of from his 3rd Birdview. The only difference is that my magnet wheel only had 4 magnets installed. I bought 8 new magnets and replaced the existing magnets and filled the 4 empty holes. I alternated the poles on the magnets. linuxman: did the 8 magnet setup work OK for you? You mentioned adding an additional sensor to double the pulses. Did you make that mod?

Also I have been following the various Bullseye ll threads. I am thinking very seriously about mounting one on my Birdview. I already had the Scaler ring bored out to accept a Corotor ll. Is the Bullseye ll diameter the same as the Corotor ll??? It would be nice if the two feedhorns were interchangeable in case I wanted to go back to a Corotor someday.

You all are a really friendly bunch. I look forward to sharing a hobby (passion?) with you.

Dan Miller

Welcome aboard, Dan.
Looks like you'll fit right in! :up

Birdview, huh? That'll get some attention.
Feel free to post a picture or two when you have a chance. :cool:

edit: Wait! Wait!
Hold the presses!
You signed up Nov 2000-when and just made your first post??
I'm glad you didn't rush right into it! :D

. . . now THAT's a procrastinator I can respect ! - :eek:

Welcome to satelliteguys!!
We will help you any way possible in setting up your dishes and learning the hobby.
Feel free to ask any questions. Someone will be happy to provide answers.

I do have a couple of questions for you guys. My Birdview has a sensor conversion kit installed. It looks to be like the one linuxman posted pictures of from his 3rd Birdview. The only difference is that my magnet wheel only had 4 magnets installed. I bought 8 new magnets and replaced the existing magnets and filled the 4 empty holes. I alternated the poles on the magnets. linuxman: did the 8 magnet setup work OK for you? You mentioned adding an additional sensor to double the pulses. Did you make that mod?
Hi DeputyDan!

Congratulations on your first post.

You obviously have done a good bit of reading and I commend you for it.

I haven't gotten my third Birdview setup yet so I can't answer whether the 8 magnet will work well or not. Haven't had the chance to try the second sensor either. :( Gabshere was going to try that trick too, and has never gotten around to giving it a go.

I suspect that the 8 magnets won't be enough to accurately start and stop on the satellites to get maximum signal. I have a 20 magnet wheel that I got from an installer in KC a while back, and I will more than likely replace my 8 magnet wheel with it.

Also I have been following the various Bullseye ll threads. I am thinking very seriously about mounting one on my Birdview. I already had the Scaler ring bored out to accept a Corotor ll. Is the Bullseye ll diameter the same as the Corotor ll??? It would be nice if the two feedhorns were interchangeable in case I wanted to go back to a Corotor someday.

You all are a really friendly bunch. I look forward to sharing a hobby (passion?) with you.

Dan Miller

The Bullseye II fits into the same size hole as the Co-Rotor, but fits a little strangely. It comes with it's own scalar but will work in the Birdview. The tip of the feed-horn mouth is smaller than the back end, but once you have it into the hole, the back snugs up and you can set it ok. I ended up putting three set screws just to make sure that it centered ok and was tight.

It performs very well on the Birdview, and if you get one you will be very happy with it.

Hopefully in a few weeks/months, Sadoun will have a GBox with servo motor control built-in. That will eliminate the need for the Bullseye II and we can all use our Co-Rotors to our hearts content. :)

I am happy that my posts have helped someone. :cool:

Welcome aboard, Dan.
Looks like you'll fit right in! :up

Birdview, huh? That'll get some attention.
Feel free to post a picture or two when you have a chance. :cool:

edit: Wait! Wait!
Hold the presses!
You signed up Nov 2000-when and just made your first post??
I'm glad you didn't rush right into it! :D

. . . now THAT's a procrastinator I can respect ! - :eek:

I'm going to do something about my procrastination one of these days :D

A co-worker had a BUD and got me hooked years ago (thus the 2000 date). Now I actually have the opportunity - just need to find the time...

Would love to see photos of your spread. Building a house on a big parcel is the pioneer dream of many North Americans.

As far as your Birdview install, the guy I got mine from might have kept it if he hadn't run the wire underground. Seem the critters thought it was delicious.

I'm running mine to my roof along the eaves. If yours is in the ground, I suggest those 20 foot sections of conduit. Gophers don't chew that stuff.

The guy I got my Birdview from talked about throwing in the towel after the third or fourth time the TV went out. He went with a little dish and a subscription.

LMTO*

As far as your Birdview install, the guy I got mine from might have kept it if he hadn't run the wire underground.
Seem the critters thought it was delicious.
...talked about throwing in the towel after the third or fourth time the TV went out.
He went with a little dish and a subscription.
So, here's a clever idea... if you find a nice dish you want, turn some critters out in in his yard.
Maybe he'll get frustrated and give you the whole thing.

But, you know.... if I'd replaced it once and was stupid enough to not armor it, I'd've damned sure armored it with conduit or SOMEthing the next time!!!

* Laughing My Tail Off (as a reptile might) - :D

DeputyDan, you're doing a lot better than I am, as I'm still looking for my 1st C band dish. As far as your dad still climbing ladders & helping you build a house at 80, I can relate to that. My father-in-law is 90 & until this year could work me into the ground. He still hunts, works in the yard (1 1/2 acres), & goes to as many Texas Longhorn baseball games as I will take him to. Can't get him close enough to the football stadium anymore to go to UT football games. I hope your dad keeps on ticking for a long, long time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)