How's the PQ on HD distant networks?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dsclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
I would like to et them, but I don't want to carry on the fight if they look like crud. Lately, Discovery HD has been looking pretty bad- do the HD networks look better?

I have had zero issue with any of my HD channels. The ONLY time they look "bad" is when the content is like FOX's widescreen 480p junk. Programs like Leno, Letterman, and Conan, along with the NFL and and brightly filmed network shows look great. Dimly lit shows are OK, but I am not a fan of darkly lit filming.

They all look like ass compared to OTA..

Anyone that says different is not paying attention, or will settle for anything...

No if's and's or but's about it....

guffy1 said:
They all look like ass compared to OTA..

Anyone that says different is not paying attention, or will settle for anything...
I agree, but since most of my Network HD viewing is time-shifted via an HR10-250, I use the D* feeds because my OTA sources can be quite flaky. For HD that I watch live like sports, I always choose OTA over D* because if they didn't flip the switch or have other local issues, I can always switch to D*.

I receive the East Coast Feed from D as well as OTA. (same stations) The PQ OTA is slightly better OTA. I think CBS (NY) looks best because they are not multicasting (at least not yet) as all the others are.

We can quibble (and constantly do) on whether or not HD distant networks look as good as OTA but regardless of how you judge it you should carry on the fight. What's to loose? If you ain't got network X then you need it. If you already have network X and don't live near NY or LA it may open options you don't now have. Like a different choice of sporting events or a backup when Goober doesn't throw the HD switch .

BTW, just to take a stand ;) ... I think a lot of the Directv HD PQ is lacking but my CBS NY feed is hard to distinguish from my OTA. That's the only duplicate network I get.

For me ALL D* HD content looks awesome. But from what I remembered, OTA used be a bit more crisp. But since I moved to a place where OTA is no longer an option it's either SD networks or D* HD. So, i went with D* and it's pretty good. I've recorded shows on Fox, CBS and ABC and they all looked great.

dsclark said:
I would like to et them, but I don't want to carry on the fight if they look like crud. Lately, Discovery HD has been looking pretty bad- do the HD networks look better?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)