How's Voom Doing?

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Anybody knows? How many subscribers they have now? How its future looks now?
I'd just like to know what is really going on after reading some negative things about Voom such as Cablevision's money cut to Voom.

Well, they're raising prices and that's never a good thing for consumers. I'm going to see if Dish Network will give me the HD package and HBO without subscribing to a basic package. If they will, I'll watch HDNet, Discovery HD Theater and HBOHD and call it a day for less than half of what I pay for Voom.

I am a little worried about the price increase, if they don't keep getting more and more subscribers I don't see how Voom can make it. Basically Vooms future is in the hands of...us, and getting more and more subscribers. Voom is doing a lot right now to keep it's current customers happy, new filmware, free PPV fight, new channels, etc. But in the end they may end up short, Voom could very well be doomed with this price increase. I am sticking with them till the end, whenever that may be...thats about all we can do.

Another thing, we can help Voom out by staying away from negative feedback, it is scaring people away. I was very skeptical about getting Voom based on so much negative, I figured I would give them a try since I had nothing to lose. I am very glad I did because if I listened to half the people on this forum I would have missed out on a great product! We can keep Voom going by word of mouth and through the internet!

ChetK said:
Well, they're raising prices and that's never a good thing for consumers. I'm going to see if Dish Network will give me the HD package and HBO without subscribing to a basic package. If they will, I'll watch HDNet, Discovery HD Theater and HBOHD and call it a day for less than half of what I pay for Voom.

If you already have the equipment, you can get HBO & the HD pack. There is a $5 surcharge

If you don't...then the minimum is AT60 for a year unless you buy the equipment outright.

Chet, I have just the HD Pack with Dish. As Iceberg said, $5 extra for no base package. I pay $17/month which includes the extended warranty. I hope you get it so you can join me in the PQ revolution and voice your opinion over which PQ is better. ;)

ROLLZROYCE said:
I am a little worried about the price increase, if they don't keep getting more and more subscribers I don't see how Voom can make it. Basically Vooms future is in the hands of...us, and getting more and more subscribers. Voom is doing a lot right now to keep it's current customers happy, new filmware, free PPV fight, new channels, etc. But in the end they may end up short, Voom could very well be doomed with this price increase. I am sticking with them till the end, whenever that may be...thats about all we can do.

I disagree. I think Voom's future mostly depends on quality service for a good price which will then, in turn, bring more happy subscribers.

ROLLZROYCE said:
Another thing, we can help Voom out by staying away from negative feedback, it is scaring people away. I was very skeptical about getting Voom based on so much negative, I figured I would give them a try since I had nothing to lose. I am very glad I did because if I listened to half the people on this forum I would have missed out on a great product! We can keep Voom going by word of mouth and through the internet!

I disagree with this statement too. It is not my job to bring new subscribers to Voom. They should fix all negative things on their own and keep as many people happy as they can. In my opinion, it doesn't take too much to accomplish that, if they want to:

1st. Get rid of Installers, Inc. Their poor job performance is killing Voom.

2nd. PQ. They should make 4-5 of its best exclusive channels at least equal to the PQ on HDNet. How? Drop Moov and a couple of other channels to gain extra bandwidth.

3rd. Improve customer service.

4th. Introduce more package options, not just two.

IMO, the best thing that could happen to VooM would be for Microsoft to buy Rainbow DBS/VOOM from CableVision. Some may disagree---and I am certainly no fan of MS---but those deep pockets, research facilities, products (don't forget about WM9) and business savvy would get Bill Gates right where he wants to be...in your computer, in your gaming system, in your entertainment center, in your whole home network, in your back pocket.

MS, along with a great idea like VOOM, could surely take on Satellite and Cable providers and lead to a rapid evolution in both industries! Anyway, just my opinion on how VOOM could be doing much better.

Iceberg said:
If you already have the equipment, you can get HBO & the HD pack. There is a $5 surcharge

If you don't...then the minimum is AT60 for a year unless you buy the equipment outright.

Iceberg, I do have the 6000U, but it's just sitting there doing nothing. If I can get the HBO and the HD pack without a base programming, do I have to do a contract since I'm coming back and my account isn't active right now?

DarrellP said:
Chet, I have just the HD Pack with Dish. As Iceberg said, $5 extra for no base package. I pay $17/month which includes the extended warranty. I hope you get it so you can join me in the PQ revolution and voice your opinion over which PQ is better.

Darrell, did you downgrade to the HD Pack with Dish or did you leave and come back? I'm worried I'll have to resign a contract even though I already own all of the needed equipment. I'll call and find out. If I do get the this, I'll cancel Voom and do without a lot of HD for now. It's just too expensive and I can think of a lot of other things I could do with the $100 I'm spending every month. For instance, I could buy 5 DVDs. That would be about 4 more movies than I watch in HD on Showtime, Cinemax, Starz and Bravo combined. And I don't watch Voom's lame exclusive channels. They are a waste of bandwidth and a sorry lure for the non-educated.

Conjuror said:
I disagree. I think Voom's future mostly depends on quality service for a good price which will then, in turn, bring more happy subscribers.

I disagree with this statement too. It is not my job to bring new subscribers to Voom. They should fix all negative things on their own and keep as many people happy as they can. In my opinion, it doesn't take too much to accomplish that, if they want to:

1st. Get rid of Installers, Inc. Their poor job performance is killing Voom.

2nd. PQ. They should make 4-5 of its best exclusive channels at least equal to the PQ on HDNet. How? Drop Moov and a couple of other channels to gain extra bandwidth.

3rd. Improve customer service.

4th. Introduce more package options, not just two.

HDnet PQ is very good but its content is horrible... they used to have good stuff back when they had the MLB and hockey agreements but they will never have good content ever again as the big boys are stepping up and not allowing hdnet to carry the larger HD events (namely sports).

I am also in the boat that voom should drop about half their channels and combine them and increase bw to them. But nothing voom does will get to the PQ of HDnet and I personally dont want it to (yes it would be nice if there was infinate bw on sattelites for this but theres not). Id rather have more channels (that have good content and good PQ), vs one channel that looked superb but its content blew. Its been widely reported that HDnet requires a high bitrate from sat companies to have their channel.

Cant speak on cust service as my system is getting installed tomorrow.

I also agree on the multiple packages it would be nice but they have pretty good package system now, a base one and you add plus packs to it. I persoanlly could care less about the movie channels in HD so I will stay just a voom package sub.

DarrellP said:
Chet, I have just the HD Pack with Dish. As Iceberg said, $5 extra for no base package. I pay $17/month which includes the extended warranty. I hope you get it so you can join me in the PQ revolution and voice your opinion over which PQ is better. ;)

I don't even pay $5 access charge. I just told them that I'll cancel Dish completely if I have to pay for it (when I downgraded to HD pack only). They waved it.

Chet, I slowly downgraded, but since you have the equipment already, there will not be a commitment. If you want, you can pay 11 months upfront and get 12 months. I'm really on the border of dropping Voom as well. To me, the $64/month I'm paying for basic programming and 2 stb's is a waste of money with the PQ they are providing.

conjuror said:
I agree, but right now Voom, IMHO, is not providing a quality service at a good price, they are providing a mediocre service at a drastic price. If the PQ was excellent across the board, then I would say they are a quality service, but they have a long way to go and hopefully WM9 will be their saviour. I think they should have provided free programming until the WM9 upgrade because as it is, I rarely watch it, they have become the Dish SD of HD PQ.

DarrellP said:
I think they should have provided free programming until the WM9 upgrade because as it is, I rarely watch it, they have become the Dish SD of HD PQ.

You are exaggerating and this is slamming a product that is not near what you are saying. Just because I don't like the 6000u, I do not go ahead and exaggerate the problems. Please we know that you don't like the product but do not exaggerate. SD does not equal HD in VoOM. That's just plain and simple an exaggeration in your part.

Sean, I don't think that he meant that Voom's HD looks like SD. He meant that Voom is to HD as Dish Network is to SD. To rephrase, I think he means that Dish Network's SD picture quality is subpar to everybody elses SD. And Vooms HD PQ is subpar to everybody elses HD. I'd have to agree with him.

I do disagree that it should have been free. It should have been maybe 3/4 or what it was. Before the rate increase, I had a hard time recommending it to anybody. And now that they're raising their prices, I can't tell a single person to subscribe. Voom has shot their own foot (that was already missing a toe). They need to come out with a new promotion and fast.

Sean

I think Darrell is saying that Voom is providing the worst quality HD like Dish provides the worst quality SD. And I think he may be right. We shall see what Wm9 does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)