HR-20 - 771 error code on OTA stations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cbutcher

Oct 27, 2006
HR-20- Weak OTA tuner?

Just had an upgrade to the HR-20 from a Hughes Hi-def reciever- great install. The installer from a local Mastec unit in Greensboro, N.C. called ahead and arrived on time. He brought the new Dish (Slimline), all the correct switches, and the HR20 (HDMI cable and B-Band converters in the box). The installer ran all new wiring, mounted the dish to a new larger pole (2 inch diameter) he installed and anchored it with 2 bags of quckrete. He followed direction very well, was very courtious and professional and I tipped him well for it. My only problem is the unit continues to give me a 771 error when trying to pick up OTA signals on all OTA channels. It picks up the sat channels very well. I have reset the unit with no change and I know that my signal is coming in strong from the previous Hughes HTL-HD unit. Is there any cure to this problem or is it simply a bad (i.e. weak) tuner in the HR-20 versus the tuner in my previous Hughes receiver? Thanks for any help.

HR-20- Weak OTA tuner?

Just had an upgrade to the HR-20 from a Hughes Hi-def reciever- great install. The installer from a local Mastec unit in Greensboro, N.C. called ahead and arrived on time. He brought the new Dish (Slimline), all the correct switches, and the HR20 (HDMI cable and B-Band converters in the box). The installer ran all new wiring, mounted the dish to a new larger pole (2 inch diameter) he installed and anchored it with 2 bags of quckrete. He followed direction very well, was very courtious and professional and I tipped him well for it. My only problem is the unit continues to give me a 771 error when trying to pick up OTA signals on all OTA channels. It picks up the sat channels very well. I have reset the unit with no change and I know that my signal is coming in strong from the previous Hughes HTL-HD unit. Is there any cure to this problem or is it simply a bad (i.e. weak) tuner in the HR-20 versus the tuner in my previous Hughes receiver? Thanks for any help.

It could be a bad tuner. Have you checked the connections to the antenna? Are you using an outside antenna? They are much better than anything indoors. Are there any diplexers in your system? They must be removed and a dedicated line used for the ota antenna.

Also, have you gone to the Antenna setup menu to check your signal strengths? If those are low, you know you've got a connection or tuner problem somewhere.... if they're ok, it's most likely a problem within the box.

You might also try resetting (deleting) the Antenna setup and then re-running it.

Not all ATSC tuners are created equal. My HTL-HD does the best job for me, followed by the HR20-100 and the HR10-250 comes in last. You might try a preamp on the antenna. BTW, which one do you ahve?

I have the CM 4228 witha Cm pre-amp attached - found the problem- installer hooked up the antenna wire on the RF antenna hook-up- obviously no OTA signal was coming into the tuner. I re-attached and am now getting stations from 70-80 miles away- even some that I could not previously get with my Hughes HTL-HD. Thanks for all the replys.

I have the CM 4228 witha Cm pre-amp attached - found the problem- installer hooked up the antenna wire on the RF antenna hook-up- obviously no OTA signal was coming into the tuner. I re-attached and am now getting stations from 70-80 miles away- even some that I could not previously get with my Hughes HTL-HD. Thanks for all the replys.

Glad to see ya got that figured out :)

Now GO and ENJOY !!!!

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)