HR 20... Kind of Noisy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

devans175

Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Perry Hall, MD
I recently installed an HR-20. Everything seems great with the exception of a few issues. One is that the fast forward and rewind seem a bit "choppy." Another is that the box makes these annoying ticking sounds when you view recorded programs. Has anyone else noticed this? Are they just characteristics of the box or should I consider replacing it?

I apologize to anyone who didn't notice the ticking sounds until I mentioned them, but why should you be happy:)

I recently installed an HR-20. Everything seems great with the exception of a few issues. One is that the fast forward and rewind seem a bit "choppy." Another is that the box makes these annoying ticking sounds when you view recorded programs. Has anyone else noticed this? Are they just characteristics of the box or should I consider replacing it?

I apologize to anyone who didn't notice the ticking sounds until I mentioned them, but why should you be happy:)

I just checked mine,
I don't know exactly what you are referring to when you say Choppy when FF ing or rewinding, it has to move the picture in some way, so No I do not have that problem.
Also, I do not hear ticking noises when playing a recorded show.
Can you hear this over your TV volume ? How loud do you mean.
I do hear the fan run, but only when I open the doors to my cabinet.

Jimbo

It's hard to describe the "choppyness", but it just seems hard to use the 30 second skip, then quickly rewind .... to hit that spot between the comercials and the show you're watching.... I guess I'm just used to smoother fast and slow scanning.... Also most of the time if I just back arrow once, the picture just freezes, nothing happens.

I'm about 15 feet from the box and I hear random, but constant ticking noise when I play recorded programs. The noise gets louder when I fast forward. My components are on an open shelf, so there are no doors to shield the sounds.( and there shouldn't need to be) I don't hear a fan from that distance, though....

I don't listen to the TV very loud, but I also don't strain to hear it.

It's probably me being over critical of the system. In general, the HR 20 performs fairly well, but I wonder if there is a DirecTV compatible HD DVR out there that is built a little better. I hesitatate to say this, because I really Like DirecTV, but my old Phillips Tivo DVR seems to perform so much better than these new boxes. I like the new functionality and programming, but the basics have really suffered. What were they thinking?

It's hard to describe the "choppyness", but it just seems hard to use the 30 second skip, then quickly rewind .... to hit that spot between the comercials and the show you're watching.... I guess I'm just used to smoother fast and slow scanning.... Also most of the time if I just back arrow once, the picture just freezes, nothing happens.

I'm about 15 feet from the box and I hear random, but constant ticking noise when I play recorded programs. The noise gets louder when I fast forward. My components are on an open shelf, so there are no doors to shield the sounds.( and there shouldn't need to be) I don't hear a fan from that distance, though....

I don't listen to the TV very loud, but I also don't strain to hear it.

It's probably me being over critical of the system. In general, the HR 20 performs fairly well, but I wonder if there is a DirecTV compatible HD DVR out there that is built a little better. I hesitatate to say this, because I really Like DirecTV, but my old Phillips Tivo DVR seems to perform so much better than these new boxes. I like the new functionality and programming, but the basics have really suffered. What were they thinking?
A lot of the changes were made due to the TIVO Patent that says D* or anyone else for that matter, cannot use TIVO patent technology. some of these changes were a result of that.

What your hearing sounds like it may be your Hard Drive, I have never heard this type of noise, you might want to call D* and inquire and see if they think it should be swapped out.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I would say it is highly likely the hard drive in your receiver is bad and will fail eventually. Might want to discuss this with Tech Support.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts