HR-21 question, turn off or leave on

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Coming from an E* 622, which never turns off, what is the answer? Will the HR-21 miss a timer event if it is turned off?

When you "Turn Off" a DirecTV HR-21 you are placing it in standby, you are not turning the turners off you are only turning the front lights off and turning the output connectors off, so you will not loose any thing.

Many things work better when the receiver has some down time to process them.

"This is why I called the state "down time" as opposed to "off". Off implies that no processing can be done."

I guess this is debatable, they say the computer doesn't need to be shut off.
I turn mine on when I get up in the morning and it doesn't go off till I either go away or go to bed.

Back to the original debate, I don't think any of your DVR's actually turn off, just go to standby, this way it has power to activate the recording funtion when it's set to record.

Jimbo

Thanks, that is what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Some people believe you should put it in standby when not in use(turn it off) because it does do some system maintance stuff when in standby. It can perform these functions without being in standby but it knows nobody is watching when in standby.

Personally, I've never had an issue leaving both of mine on all the time.

Mike

why does it still make a noise when its turned off ?
Because it's not really off. It's really in standby.

The lights on the front go out and the outputs go off.

It is still recieving/buffering the signal.

However, when it's in standby/off it knows you aren't watching TV. It can then do it's system maintenance.

Mike

Because it's not really off. It's really in standby.

The lights on the front go out and the outputs go off.

It is still recieving/buffering the signal.

However, when it's in standby/off it knows you aren't watching TV. It can then do it's system maintenance.

Mike

oh ok.... so the plain hd receiver (no dvr in it) didnt because there was no buffer etc.

Twice now, I have been unable to turn it on after it was in standby over night. It wouldn't repsond by the buttons on the front, nor the remote. I had to reboot to get it back. If it continues, I will be giving D* a call about this.

The drive is probably still spinning during 'sleep', so even if the fan is not on, you might hear the drive.

Yep you pay for them 24/7 with your power bill. I just got one of those power use detectors but I haven't pluged the HD DVRs into it yet to see how much power they use. I'll let you'all know by the weekend.

Yep you pay for them 24/7 with your power bill. I just got one of those power use detectors but I haven't pluged the HD DVRs into it yet to see how much power they use. I'll let you'all know by the weekend.

its hardly anything i think....someone did a test on them awhile back but i cant find it now....maybe another site was at.

im not understanding why we cant just shut it off so it doesnt make the noise.....why does it have to be "on" and making noise even when its really off ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)