HR 24-200 Video Skipping/Freezing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kpeercy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
I've noticed lately that my HR 24-200 is freezing for 3-4 seconds, then catching up at 10x speed. The strange part is if I rewind and play from the DVR, the freeze/skip isn't there.

For example, I was watching a basketball game last night and twice in a 5 minute period the picture froze...the sound was fine...it would then fast forward to catch itself up. When I rewound it, the skip wasn't on the DVR's video, so the freeze/skip was only on live TV. This has been happening for a week or so. Any known fixes for this?

Check out the disk drive.
Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

Check out the disk drive.
Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test. Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

So, you think it's hard drive related, even though the issue only shows during live programming???

It could be hard drive related - remember because of the live video buffer, even the live video is written to the drive.

I tried all of those test, except for the surface test. All passed and the problem persists. I had the freeze/catch up issue at least 10 times last night.

OK, so it's probably not disk related.
Does it always happen on the same channels?
How is the DVR connected to the TV?

Check the temperature in settings I think it is under more info. Had a unit act like that one and stick a laptop cooler under it and fixed the issue. It was over heating.

Update...I ran the surface test and it found and corrected 24 errors. I have no idea yet if the issue is fixed, but it's clear the hard drive has some issues.

After finding and correcting 24 errors with the surface test, the problem persists. I still get freezing/catching up over a 4-5 second period every 10 minutes or so. What's my next step? Call tech support?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts