HR-24 audio issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
I've had this HR-24 for I would guess a couple of months. For some reason, whenever it's been off for awhile (like say a few hours) when I turn it back on, there is no sound. The first couple of times it happened, I hit the reset button which eventually fixes it but, as you know, it takes awhile to get back up and running.

I decided perhaps it was an HDMI issue so, I tried unplugging the HDMI cable from the back of it and plugging it back in. This works. The sound comes back. Much quicker but, still a pain. I don't have it hooked to an audio/video receiver. My google search found some people having audio dropouts when hooked up to one.

I do have it hooked to this switcher because I have two displays side by side. I want to see the box on either display I choose. For only $51.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X2 True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) | Auto & Powered HDMI Switches It worked just fine for awhile like this.

I figure I will probably try hooking straight to the TV and see if the problem goes away but, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has had a similar problem?

I would suspect your switch is the culprit. I've got a powered splitter, 1 in 2 out but the outputs are active all the time. If we leave, especially during thunderstorm season, I unplug major electronics. If I don't repower in the right sequence often won't get sound out of the splitter. Video will be OK. Also we have minor power outages, e.i. less that 5 sec on occasion. When these occur the receiver takes several minutes to reboot as you know. Now I have both the splitter and DTV receiver powered thru a UPS backup so it keeps the handshake the same.

Thanks for the replies guys. It appears all 3 of you were right. I tried it tonight after being shutoff for about 8 hours. Reading Blueridges reply, it occured to me that the HR-24 was powering up before the TV. I have the remote set to IR and I use the ON button of the Directv remote to power up both the receiver and TV. What I did tonight was..... I used the tv remote and powered up the TV first. I then powered up the HR-24 and the sound was fine. I think you hit it on the head with the sequence of powering up things. I previously and still have an HR-22 with my other tv and never had problems. Of course the HR-22 is slower than the HR-24 and it's also set to RF. That could be making it slower yet. It seems with that setup that the TV always turns on first. I may try adjusting the HR-24 to RF mode and see if that slows it's powering up enough to make it work. I guess if not, I'll just use the other remote and power up the TV first. I also have been meaning to get a UPS backup for basically the same reason you did Blueridge. I hate waiting for the boxes to reboot. I also don't care much for unnecessary powering on and off of flat screen TVs.

I use a URC MX980 remote and I have it programmed to turn things on and leave a delay in there waiting for TV to finish booting up. I have all sources going to my AV receiver and a single HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Some AV receivers handle HDMI switching better than others. Switching between RF and IR on the receiver probably won't affect boot-up time at all. RF and IR are just interfaces to the OS on the receiver. Those interfaces come up within milliseconds of each other.

I use a URC MX980 remote and I have it programmed to turn things on and leave a delay in there waiting for TV to finish booting up. I have all sources going to my AV receiver and a single HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Some AV receivers handle HDMI switching better than others. Switching between RF and IR on the receiver probably won't affect boot-up time at all. RF and IR are just interfaces to the OS on the receiver. Those interfaces come up within milliseconds of each other.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried it yet but, I suspect you're right. It always worked fine with my HR-22 but, I suspect that's more a function of it just being a slower receiver. Now that I know what the problem is, it's a simple workaround. Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)