HR-24?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

momof2inmn

Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
North Country
We are considering switching from Dish to Directv and after reading many of the posts out here I would want the HR-24 if we were to switch. How do I go about making sure we get one from Directv if we switch?

I don't quite understand how they can force us to have an inferior box. Seems like all the other boxes have issues with slow response time.

If we can't get one from Directv and have to buy one somewhere else, how do we work that in with installation, etc.?

I am NOT a techie and usually leave all that up to the pros so I will really need detailed, elementary instructions here! ;)

Thanks!

IMO, the best way to ensure you get an HR24, is to order a MRV setup. If you have multiple tv's, it's def a great option to have anyways.

If you want to be sure to get an HR24 go through a local retailer instead of calling Directv or ordering online. Where do you live (city, state)? I might know someone good to call. In short, retailers get new equipment. HSP's get whatever Directv sends out to them (often refurbished older models - I used to work for one)

Solid Signal is a great retailer and if they aren't local in your area they can contract out to someone that is local to you for the install. You will get the receivers you want from them and you can still get all the national promo discounts and referral credit discount by ordering through them as well.

DIRECTV - Now get over 150 Channels! HughesNet

From their website:

"Our local installation team covers Michigan, and parts of Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois. If your beyond this area, we may have to contract out the install but we can still GUARANTEE you get H24 or HR24s installed."

If you want to be sure to get an HR24 go through a local retailer instead of calling Directv or ordering online. Where do you live (city, state)? I might know someone good to call. In short, retailers get new equipment. HSP's get whatever Directv sends out to them (often refurbished older models - I used to work for one)

I agree with Tech. If the HSPs are having problems keeping the HR24s in stock independent dealers will have a better chance of having them in stock. I would order MRV also since that helps over all. Good luck. I can't afford MRV yet (I am an existing customer and the start up costs for that are too much at the moment).

So how does it work if I go through a retailer? Would I have to pay for the DVR? I went that route before and don't really want to have to pay for something that Directv should "rent" to me anyway. And as always, money is an issue . . .

I'm in MN, by the way.

Thanks!

So how does it work if I go through a retailer? Would I have to pay for the DVR? I went that route before and don't really want to have to pay for something that Directv should "rent" to me anyway. And as always, money is an issue . . .

I'm in MN, by the way.

Thanks!

If you are signing up as a new customer you will get the same number of receivers for free and others discounted as you would if you contacted Direct TV directly. The difference with the retailer is you will get the boxes you want, the 24's.

Here is the Q4 promo......

NFL Sunday Ticket offer ($59.99/mo) will be offered until Nov 15th 2010.

Choice Extra $34.99 a month for 12 months
Choice Ultimate $39.99 a month for 12 months

Premier Month 1-3 $61.99 Month 4-12 $85.99

Choice Extra and above get Free Starz and Showtime free for 3 months.

Free HDDVR upgrade
Free HD Receiver upgrade or $100 off HDDVR when Whole Home DVR Service is applied.

*FREE Internet Connection Kit for all NON FEE HDDVR Customers.*

This quarter Choice Extra and higher is eligible for FREE HD FOR LIFE with Auto Bill Pay.

Am I considered a new customer if I have been gone from Directv for almost two years? I would assume so since I have no equipment.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I have a much better idea of what I have to work with now.

I just called a local retailer/installer. I said I want MRV and 2 HR24s. "No problem". PLus I got all the same deals, promos, pricing I would have gotten if I had done it through DirecTV on the web site.

My install is this coming Thursday.

I just called a local retailer/installer. I said I want MRV and 2 HR24s. "No problem". PLus I got all the same deals, promos, pricing I would have gotten if I had done it through DirecTV on the web site.

My install is this coming Thursday.

Nice! You'll be happy with D*. This Whole Home DVR feature works great.

Is MRV the same as Whole Home Viewing? How does the Whole Home viewing physically work?

Allows you to view recorded programs, from one dvr, to any other connected box in the house. I have a DVR in the bedroom, and one in the living room. I watch pretty much everything in the liv room, and record pretty much everything on the bed room dvr. This leaves the tuners in the liv room open for watching tv, because many nights we have the tuners tied up recording. Im seriously considering NBA pass this year.

On the flip side, if you wanna go lay in the bed, you can watch something recorded on the liv room dvr. Yes it is the same thing.

Is MRV the same as Whole Home Viewing? How does the Whole Home viewing physically work?

Record on one HD DVR and watch the recording on any other HD receiver in your house, doesn't have be another DVR receiver, only HD receiver.

From their website:

With the DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR service, you can record and watch your favorite shows in HD from any room — with a single HD DVR. Watch one recorded show in the living room while the kids watch a different one in their room. Or start watching a show in one room and finish watching it in another. All with a single DVR.

See how the new DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR makes watching TV even better:
  • Watch recorded shows in up to 15 rooms with 1 DVR — DISH
    Network can't offer this.
  • Watch shows in HD in every room — you can't do that
    with DISH Network.
  • Record 2 shows at once while watching 2 more from
    your playlist.
  • Manage your DVR playlist from any room.
  • Schedule your recordings from any cell phone or computer.
  • Set separate parental control options for each TV.

Record on one HD DVR and watch the recording on any other HD receiver in your house, doesn't have be another DVR receiver, only HD receiver.

From their website:

With the DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR service, you can record and watch your favorite shows in HD from any room — with a single HD DVR. Watch one recorded show in the living room while the kids watch a different one in their room. Or start watching a show in one room and finish watching it in another. All with a single DVR.

See how the new DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR makes watching TV even better:
  • Watch recorded shows in up to 15 rooms with 1 DVR — DISH
    Network can't offer this.
  • Watch shows in HD in every room — you can't do that
    with DISH Network.
  • Record 2 shows at once while watching 2 more from
    your playlist.
  • Manage your DVR playlist from any room.
  • Schedule your recordings from any cell phone or computer.
  • Set separate parental control options for each TV.

How do the units talk to each other? WiFi?

Also, does one DVR allow you to record two things at one time?

How do the units talk to each other? WiFi?

Also, does one DVR allow you to record two things at one time?

They talk to each other through your network, either hardwired ethernet or through DECA which the signals would travel through your RG6 coax.

Yes, you can record two different channels at the same time on 1 DVR, both in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)