HR 34 REPLACEMENT POLICY 01/22/16

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
I called into Directv to complain about my HR34 Genie acting funny and changing channels so slowly. I called into technical support, a lady got on the phone and I explained my position. She told me that they will replace ALL HR34's FOR FREE with HR44'S. She placed my order and said FEDEX will deliver in 2-4 days. So, to recap this is a no questions asked/free shipping replacement per Directv. Hope this info helps.

I called into Directv to complain about my HR34 Genie acting funny and changing channels so slowly. I called into technical support, a lady got on the phone and I explained my position. She told me that they will replace ALL HR34's FOR FREE with HR44'S. She placed my order and said FEDEX will deliver in 2-4 days. So, to recap this is a no questions asked/free shipping replacement per Directv. Hope this info helps.
Hope that goes for every account.

Just got an e-mail confirmation of the new dvr being sent out, AND THEY SHOW A $21.45 SHIPPING FEE!! I'm calling CS now.
You must not be paying for the protection plan. The shipping would have been free. What you are being charged is the normal fee.
I've never signed up for the protection plan. I think not having it has saved me in the long run.

Directv reps use a system call agent answer center for things like this. Most of the memos are posted there but 99% of the reps don't even read the memos or news.

Ok, I called customer service and this girl HAD NO IDEA about the HR34 being discontinued, and I told her that it was and I was told I was to get free shipping. She said "maybe she doesn't have the latest news" and I said that's fine but would you please credit my shipping now please ma'am, and she himmed and hawed for a second and I said I was told that this was Directv's problem and I was to get free shipping ma'am and I can cancel if necessary and she said "no no no, I will credit the shipping for you". I was super polite the whole time and said thank you very much. I went into my account and there is a credit there.

Reactions: raoul5788
You must not be paying for the protection plan. The shipping would have been free. What you are being charged is the normal fee.
I've never signed up for the protection plan. I think not having it has saved me in the long run.
Hi, I know that you are to pay shipping if you don't have the protection plan and I am cool with that, this is different, Directv is saying that the HR34 is a non fixable unit and it is their responsibility to give you a properly working unit, at least that's how the first girl worded it to me. So, if THEY messed up the unit with software update bugs that is not my bad, it's their bad.

I think I got an illiterate CSR who read this memo as "HR34 is a non-fixable unit and it sucks to be anyone stuck with one". He won't send me a new one. He wants to charge me for an upgrade.

Your best bet is to call say you're going to cancel and ask to speak to someone in CRG. They will get you fixed up. The CRG has all the latest updates and news and much more pull.

General reps or "ACE" as they are called internally are the last to know anything. When I worked in that group I found out quickly that we are just there for the customer to yell at before transferring them to someone that can really help.

Reactions: bobvick
Ok, I called customer service and this girl HAD NO IDEA about the HR34 being discontinued, and I told her that it was and I was told I was to get free shipping. She said "maybe she doesn't have the latest news" and I said that's fine but would you please credit my shipping now please ma'am, and she himmed and hawed for a second and I said I was told that this was Directv's problem and I was to get free shipping ma'am and I can cancel if necessary and she said "no no no, I will credit the shipping for you". I was super polite the whole time and said thank you very much. I went into my account and there is a credit there.
Wow, threaten to cancel over $20.

Hi, I know that you are to pay shipping if you don't have the protection plan and I am cool with that, this is different, Directv is saying that the HR34 is a non fixable unit and it is their responsibility to give you a properly working unit, at least that's how the first girl worded it to me. So, if THEY messed up the unit with software update bugs that is not my bad, it's their bad.
Fascinating. I've never had to pay for shipping for any of our receivers or replacement remotes or anything over the years, and we don't have the protection plan.

See, here's the thing with those plans, and I like DirecTV, for the record. They say that you can upgrade your receivers every two years for no extra cost. However, what I've found with their tech is that if you simply wait about four years between upgrades, they treat your account with freebies anyway. And honestly, once you get the Genie line of receivers, you're not going to be upgrading anytime soon anyway, because 4K for broadcasting is at least 3 - 5 years away, per se.

On top of this, the plans make no sense for repairs/replacements either, because since DirecTV leases all of their boxes now, they are their assets. Therefore, if something happens to them (I'm talking in terms of HDD failure, etc.), it's on them anyway.

I still have a HR22-100 & a HR23-700(which I replaced a defective HDD myself). It sounds like I should hold on to those babies before I'd ever get a HR34. It sounds like the HR34 is the ABSOLUTE worse of the lot of Directv's DVR's/receivers one could have. I imagine that I'd keep a HR20-100(isn't this the special one when hooking up to SWM?), if I had one, before ever accepting a HR34.

I still have a HR22-100 & a HR23-700(which I replaced a defective HDD myself). It sounds like I should hold on to those babies before I'd ever get a HR34. It sounds like the HR34 is the ABSOLUTE worse of the lot of Directv's DVR's/receivers one could have. I imagine that I'd keep a HR20-100(isn't this the special one when hooking up to SWM?), if I had one, before ever accepting a HR34.
If the HR20 is still working fine, I would keep it over the others ...
Chances are you'll get a 44 if you ask for a Genie, add the Genie to what you have, if they are all functioning fine, keep them, if you want to get rid of one, the choice is yours.
Yes the HR20 was capable of doing SWM ... That was 1st generation for SWM, which wasn't called SWM back then.

General reps or "ACE" as they are called internally are the last to know anything. When I worked in that group I found out quickly that we are just there for the customer to yell at before transferring them to someone that can really help.

I was talking to a rep for a cell provider offline, and he told me something. "Look, I read the same articles you do, I see the same dates for things coming out. I know Apple is announcing a new phone in September. But I can't say that until
Fascinating. I've never had to pay for shipping for any of our receivers or replacement remotes or anything over the years, and we don't have the protection plan.

See, here's the thing with those plans, and I like DirecTV, for the record. They say that you can upgrade your receivers every two years for no extra cost. However, what I've found with their tech is that if you simply wait about four years between upgrades, they treat your account with freebies anyway. And honestly, once you get the Genie line of receivers, you're not going to be upgrading anytime soon anyway, because 4K for broadcasting is at least 3 - 5 years away, per se.

On top of this, the plans make no sense for repairs/replacements either, because since DirecTV leases all of their boxes now, they are their assets. Therefore, if something happens to them (I'm talking in terms of HDD failure, etc.), it's on them anyway.

If I didn't have owned receivers, I wouldn't have the PP. To me, it's the only real reason to have it.

Are they asking for the return of the HR34 or just its Access Card?

I think I got an illiterate CSR who read this memo as "HR34 is a non-fixable unit and it sucks to be anyone stuck with one". He won't send me a new one. He wants to charge me for an upgrade.
Directv has said that all Genies are the same (in their mind). Getting a newer one shouldn't be considered an upgrade.
If the HR20 is still working fine, I would keep it over the others ...
Chances are you'll get a 44 if you ask for a Genie, add the Genie to what you have, if they are all functioning fine, keep them, if you want to get rid of one, the choice is yours.
Yes the HR20 was capable of doing SWM ... That was 1st generation for SWM, which wasn't called SWM back then.
When I got my HR20 (which is still in use) in 2006, they weren't doing swm installs yet. The setup of the day was the 4 output "sidecar" lnb. This replaced the H10 which developed a heat problem after a year. All these receivers were owned at this time so Directv wouldn't replace them. It was only 2 years ago that I got a leased receiver.

Directv has said that all Genies are the same (in their mind). Getting a newer one shouldn't be considered an upgrade.
When I got my HR20 (which is still in use) in 2006, they weren't doing swm installs yet. The setup of the day was the 4 output "sidecar" lnb. This replaced the H10 which developed a heat problem after a year. All these receivers were owned at this time so Directv wouldn't replace them. It was only 2 years ago that I got a leased receiver.
The majority of the HR20s were leased ... That was the first recvr that they started the Lease program with.
You are correct, they weren't doing SWM install at the time, but the HR20 had the predecessor to the SWM built into it, I don't remember the exact letters, I wanna say FRM or something to that extent.
It says on the back to connect to input #1 with FRM next to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)