HR10-250 to H20-700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cdr2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Sat Guys

I subscribe to DirecTv and I am fairly pleased with the HR10-250 HD DVR-but am considering an upgrade. Is a satellite dish upgrade necessary to switch from the HR10-250 DVR to the H20-700?

Dale

Don't do it. Go to DBStalk.com and read all the issues/complaints/bugs of the new box. The HDTIVO is rock solid (more or less) while the new box if a work in progress. if you don't need the MPEG HD locals then hold off until they work out all of the bugs.

I think the H20-100 is a better model as far as H20's go, but it is NOT a DVR; were you meaning the HR20 as your DVR upgrade?? Either way, if you are going for MPEG4 you will need the 5 LNB dish upgrade.

Don't do it. Go to DBStalk.com and read all the issues/complaints/bugs of the new box. The HDTIVO is rock solid (more or less) while the new box if a work in progress. if you don't need the MPEG HD locals then hold off until they work out all of the bugs.

Then go read all the threads of people that ARE happy with thiers.
Keep in mind, If you have something and like it you are less likely to post anything about it ,unless asked.
I and many others are happy with their HD DVR's HR20-700's, look around there is a thread here talking about this.
D* is working to correct any problems with updates thru the stream.

IF you want the DVR your talking about the HR20-700, if no DVR is needed it's the H20
You do not need the dish upgrade yet, but you will not receive any mpeg4 signals without it, in most cases.
If you can get the dish upgrade for free , go for it, I have the AT-9 and have had NO rain drop outs yet. The larger dish surface allows better signal

Jimbo

I never said that the HR20 was a bad unit. All I said was that the HDTivo was a solid unit. The bugs present may or may not affect the majority of users or a single user. There are, however many known issues that directv is trying very hard to correct. It is hard to live through the growing pain of a unit like this when the wife is on your back about why lost didn't record.

If you don't need mpeg4 locals there is no reason to take a chance on the HR20 right now. He'll loose OTA, dual live buffers and the 30 second skip. The unit has potential but it needs for things to be completely worked out beofe commiting to it.

Last edited:
Next year by the end of summer, your HR10 will not work with HD at all...

Sat Guys

I subscribe to DirecTv and I am fairly pleased with the HR10-250 HD DVR-but am considering an upgrade. Is a satellite dish upgrade necessary to switch from the HR10-250 DVR to the H20-700?

Dale

Next year all HD programming is going Ka/MPEG4, which the HR10 cannot receive. So the only HD you will get is with OTA.

Next year all HD programming is going Ka/MPEG4, which the HR10 cannot receive. So the only HD you will get is with OTA.

Really (source) even all CONUS HD like ESPN, HBO, etc? So both my MPEG2 HD units will be useless next year? I am sure this idea was shot down already, but would love to read your new info.

It also seems the OP has gone, so maybe we are discussing this in vain now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)