SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
From DBSTalk.Com

LE Risks and Guidelines
How to Force Download an LE Release

Be sure to monitor the Living on the Edge forum HERE at Satellite Guys for changes in probability and go status!

HR20-700 {CE:09:02} - 0x194 Announcement
Systems in this CE / Version
HR20-700 {CE:09:02} - 0x194

Window of opportunity to download:
Friday; August 31, 2007 11PM - 2:30AM ET
Saturday; September 1, 2007 11PM - 2:30AM ET
Current Probability: 85%
Be sure to monitor the threads and chat room to check on final availability

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Contents of the Release: (Differences based of 0x18a National Release)
  • Items from CE:09:01
  • Items from CE:09:02

Improved
  • Prioritizer Screen
  • Navigation to PIG (Picture In Graphics) removed. (Trick Play Still works), to improve interfacing with UI
  • Stability
  • Several user interface polishing andf ixes based on CE reports

Updated
  • N/A

New feature(s)
  • Keyword search finds category (eg HDTV or sports)
  • Caller ID for Type 2 (aka Call Waiting, off-hook, ect)
  • Start/resume to manual
  • Left arrow mimics "BACK" when practical
  • Long channel name in search by channel
  • Ability to hide SD channels if duplicate HD channel with same number exists

Notes
  • GUIDE DATA WILL NOT BE CACHED they are enhancing pieces of the guide data, which means you WILL LOSE your guide data after the install. It will repopulate over the next 20-24 hours. This is only valid if you are comming from 0x18a, if you are on 0x190 you are not expected to lose your guide cache
  • This is the start of a new CE cycle, and as such... this one has a higher level of risk then other CE's. Minor/Non-Critical issues are expected, but the system should still be more then acceptable for normal to above normal usage. If you have any concerns, or this is your one and only, or primary HR20... please consider these facts before downloading the CE... as always... outside the window, you can re-download the national release.

Notes regarding VOD
  • The Keyword search: IWANTMYVOD will be DISABLED. There will not be another keyword to enabled it in this CE. (This is not a joke, hidden message, or anything... there will not be a keyword in this CE version to enable it)
  • Those that have 0x190 and have enabled VOD (verifable by seeing the QUEUE option in the scheduler), will remain enabled. Regardless, if DirecTV has completed the backend part of your account
  • You MUST enabled VOD, before downloading this CE.. 0x190 will not be re-offered.

Per Tom at DBSTalk

Remote Booking code will be in this CE. The DIRECTV.COM site will not be ready immediately, but get your accounts online now! DIRECTV wants to enable your accounts the moment the site is ready--but you have to do your part.

You do not need network connections nor VOD to participate in Remote Booking, so everyone can play!

o my knowledge, we do not need to do anything special in our accounts. They will find us.

If you have VOD, Remote Booking will be able to schedule both VOD and non-VOD titles. If you do not have VOD, you will still be able to schedule regular shows.

Lastly, network connections are not required for Remote Booking of regular shows. (I think that means you won't get email confirmations, tho.)

Verified. CE'ers, to get their HR20s on Remote Booking, will need them on the Internet. So connect them to the Internet, get your account setup, and download tonight's CE.

Then a bit of patience until they have the site ready for us.

Last edited:
So, if I can't enable VOD on 018.....then this CE update is no use to me if I want VOD? I won't be able to get VOD on this CE? Is that right?

So, if I can't enable VOD on 018.....then this CE update is no use to me if I want VOD? I won't be able to get VOD on this CE? Is that right?

Correct. There are enough folks testing VOD right now and this CE is to fix issues with 0x190 and not necessarily to just open up more VOD curious folks. Sorry. This is why I download every week. Always afraid I will miss something.

Correct. There are enough folks testing VOD right now and this CE is to fix issues with 0x190 and not necessarily to just open up more VOD curious folks. Sorry. This is why I download every week. Always afraid I will miss something.

Thanks Brewer! I'll sleep in this week.

The DirecTV On Demand is really nice, in the time I got to screw around with it I was impressed with that I saw. Yet it was still in Beta stage, there were a few things that did not work correctly and the content was lacking. (I didn't expect them to offer all the content for free in a beta) but for example under HD there is only one selection)

But what I saw was exciting... very exciting!

Good times are coming! Its an exciting time for the satellite industry and for their customers!

They seem to be adding content and the last time I checked there appeared to be several thousand items. I started downloading "The Guardian" (Starz HD) but after a few hours there wasn't that much stored yet (1.5 MB WiFi), so I cancelled it. Everything I have viewed so far ends several seconds early (keep/delete popup).

well, looks like i'm hosed. not sure i can get longer ethernet cables and/or a router in the next few days. guess, i'll wait but its okay.

Quote: Those that have 0x190 have enabled VOD (verifable by seeing the QUEUE option in the scheduler), will remain enabled. Regardless, if DirecTV has completed the backend part of your account
UNQUOTE....If it was me, I would enable the VOD option now, even if I was not connected to the internet. At least the option to connect later and use VOD will still be there.

Quote: Those that have 0x190 have enabled VOD (verifable by seeing the QUEUE option in the scheduler), will remain enabled. Regardless, if DirecTV has completed the backend part of your account
UNQUOTE....If it was me, I would enable the VOD option now, even if I was not connected to the internet. At least the option to connect later and use VOD will still be there.

The only problem with that is you specifically need 0x190 and if you missed it the past weekend, you have to wait for another opportunity.

The only problem with that is you specifically need 0x190 and if you missed it the past weekend, you have to wait for another opportunity.
---
that is very true however it appears to me that the opportunity may not come for a long time, if ever.
"The Keyword search: IWANTMYVOD will be DISABLED. There will not be another keyword to enabled it in this CE. (This is not a joke, hidden message, or anything... there will not be a keyword in this CE version to enable it) "
0x190 will not be re-offered.

Sorry, being dense here, but what enhancements are there with this CE over 0x190? I got it last weekend and VOD is working like a champ. Showed my wife how it works and she didn't give the remote back for about 20 minutes...that is highly unusual so I rate that as a very high WAF! :D :D

But looking at these notes from first post, I don't see any major differences between last weekend and this weekend's CE? Can you explain?

Sorry, being dense here, but what enhancements are there with this CE over 0x190? I got it last weekend and VOD is working like a champ. Showed my wife how it works and she didn't give the remote back for about 20 minutes...that is highly unusual so I rate that as a very high WAF! :D :D

But looking at these notes from first post, I don't see any major differences between last weekend and this weekend's CE? Can you explain?

Atp,
Normally there are very suttle changes done from one CE to another, it just so happened that the VOD was able to be enabled in the last one. So I don't see this CE as being any different than ANY other CE.

btw, if you look at Brewer's original post, anything in RED is a change ...

Jimbo

Actually the VOD was in the 190 update.
I would not worry too much about it, it will come to all sooner or later on a National Release ...
It doesn't matter too much to me, but I think it would be nice to play with.

I to would need to run a long ethernet cable in order to use it, so I won't be using it either, however, I did go in and activate it.

Jimbo

Theres nothing in the VOD that is "gotta have" right now. I think most are testing the mechanics and trying to get the bugs worked out. It has tons of potential but as for killer content or app, its not yet. Content will make this thing a "gotta have". I think with new run HD movies and Big 4 network TV Series (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox), this thing will be killer.

Atp,
Normally there are very suttle changes done from one CE to another, it just so happened that the VOD was able to be enabled in the last one. So I don't see this CE as being any different than ANY other CE.

btw, if you look at Brewer's original post, anything in RED is a change ...

Jimbo

Yeah, I know about the RED text (or other colors) but since the only thing in RED was the note about the VOD NOT being included, I wanted to verify. I will go ahead and get it since I have done all of these for several months anyway...no sense in stopping now :)

Theres nothing in the VOD that is "gotta have" right now. I think most are testing the mechanics and trying to get the bugs worked out. It has tons of potential but as for killer content or app, its not yet. Content will make this thing a "gotta have". I think with new run HD movies and Big 4 network TV Series (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox), this thing will be killer.
Agree 100% :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)