HR20-700 / Aug. 31 & Sep. 1 / {CE:09:02} - 0x194

I am thinking we must have had a "electrical anomoly" because the bedroom HR20 was doing weird stuff when my wife turned it on a few minutes ago. The TV turned on just fine, but the image on the screen was like a garbled/scrambled scene. The box was completely frozen. The remote wouldn't do anything, and none of the buttons on the front of the box did anything...except for the RBR. Rebooted and seems to be working fine now.

Come to think of it, the common thread between the two HR20's is that they are both running 194, and my wife is the one who turned them on...coincidence? Maybe... :D

OK, maybe I'm a little thick, but I forced the 0x194 d/l last night, (BTW, I don't presently have my hr20-700 networked.) & I don't see any changes, other than the software version is listed as 0x194, i.e. VOD enabled, record option on directv.com, etc. Is there something else that I need to do to enable VOD? I realize that I can't d/l anything w/o an internet connection, but I thought, per post #1 in this thread that I could/should enable VOD at least. Advice? TIA.

VOD needed to be installed and enabled on the last CE prior to this one (0x190). And yes, you needed to be networked. D* looked at the network connection of those enabled VOD CE'ers and activated/allowed VOD for them. If your online account shows a RECENT ACTIVITY of "For Engineering" charge, then you should have been able to enable and access VOD...assuming you were properly networked.

Sounds like this didn't happen, so sorry...no dice. But VOD will be released on a national update in the near future and you can have it then, but you still need to network your box before it will be able to download anything.

So I missed out on the early rollout--should/could I force a software d/l to revert back or just leave it alone?
BTW, thanks atp1313.

One other thing--can the network be wirelessly connected or does it have to be wired?

Wireless = Yes. Several others have posted solutions for this. Sorry, mine is wired directly to wireless router, so I can't offer opinions on that.

Unless you are experiencing problems with 194, I would just stay on it. No sense in reverting as you would lose the CE function of Remote Booking (when turned on by D* on their site). Just hang out with 194 and help test the Remote Booking once it is there, and soon enough you will have VOD (DOD) as part of a national release.

Wireless = Yes. Several others have posted solutions for this. Sorry, mine is wired directly to wireless router, so I can't offer opinions on that.

Unless you are experiencing problems with 194, I would just stay on it. No sense in reverting as you would lose the CE function of Remote Booking (when turned on by D* on their site). Just hang out with 194 and help test the Remote Booking once it is there, and soon enough you will have VOD (DOD) as part of a national release.

For the "Remote Booking" you would also have to be networked, correct ? It sounds like they are going to be doing alot of stuff thru the internet, I really was hoping to not have to get D* and my internet provider involved with one another.

Jimbo

For the "Remote Booking" you would also have to be networked, correct ? It sounds like they are going to be doing alot of stuff thru the internet, I really was hoping to not have to get D* and my internet provider involved with one another.

Jimbo

Yes, you will need to be networked. And I don't think you need to worry about your ISP getting "involved" with D*. No more so than your usual browsing. Well, maybe a little bandwidth usage, but still, it is no more difficult than hooking up your PC :)

Yes, you will need to be networked. And I don't think you need to worry about your ISP getting "involved" with D*. No more so than your usual browsing. Well, maybe a little bandwidth usage, but still, it is no more difficult than hooking up your PC :)

Ok,
Then I'll have to look into a 75 to 100 ft ethernet cord and find a way to fish this outside wall to connect to the computer.

Does ethernet lose any ability at 75 to 100 ft ?
Really not sure how I'm going to get to the computer without running a bit of it outside.
Is ethernet Ok to run outside ?

I will also need a step by step instructions on how to set this up.
I currently have a Westech 327 wireless modem/ router...
Whats my best options ?

Jimbo

Could be unrelated, but did the download last night and everything looked fine. Took my wife & kids to breakfast with my folks, and when we came home, LR HR20 wouldn't turn on. Had to pull the plug and have it run through the satellite searching full boot.

LR HR20 went from 0x190 to 0x194...MBR HR20 went from 0x184 to 0x194 (no VOD enabled). Anyone else have this issue, or am I alone?
I'm generally in the same boat, but worse...

Came back home after being away for a few days. HR20 is locked up. Pull the plug, reboot, hung on "Checking Sats" screen.

RESET button... same thing. Found a hack to force a download of the latest national software (0x180), that went fine. Box rebooted, same symptoms.

Pulled the power cord for what ended up being an hour. Power up and it got to the 2nd of the "Step 1 of 2" screens (bottom line says "Almost done" instead of "This will take a few minutes").

Hung.

I've got the plugged pulled again for a while since that's the only thing that changed the symptoms.

I sure wish we could get into these things like I can with my Series 1 TiVo upstairs. :(

Ok,
Then I'll have to look into a 75 to 100 ft ethernet cord and find a way to fish this outside wall to connect to the computer.

Does ethernet lose any ability at 75 to 100 ft ?
Really not sure how I'm going to get to the computer without running a bit of it outside.
Is ethernet Ok to run outside ?

I will also need a step by step instructions on how to set this up.
I currently have a Westech 327 wireless modem/ router...
Whats my best options ?

Jimbo

Why not go wireless since you have a wireless router? For $52 you can go wireless without having all the hassel of running all that cable.

Newegg.com - BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail

Why not go wireless since you have a wireless router? For $52 you can go wireless without having all the hassel of running all that cable.

Newegg.com - BUFFALO WLI-TX4-G54HP IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Ethernet Port Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter up to 125Mbps Data Rates WPA-PSK(AES, TKIP), 128/64-bit WEP - Retail

Unfortunatly I know nothing about how to do networking.
If it's a Plug and Play type of thing that would be good, if not it at least needs to have instructions ....

I can do it, if it tells me what I need to do.

Jimbo

If you have ever setup a desktop or notebook to use wireless you will be fine with this. It is pretty easy to install. I installed mine in about 5 minutes. The only information you need to know is your wireless SSID, type of encryption (if used), and encryption key.

If you have ever setup a desktop or notebook to use wireless you will be fine with this. It is pretty easy to install. I installed mine in about 5 minutes. The only information you need to know is your wireless SSID, type of encryption (if used), and encryption key.

The info you've mentioned is in the router I think.
How do you retrive it ?

Jimbo

From what a friend that knows more than me about this stuff says I may be able to find it a CC or BB as well.
Any thing I should avoid ?

Jimbo

Remote Booking not working yet

Well, Its Wednesday afternoon and I am on the latest CE, networked and no remote booking yet. Does this work for anyone else yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)