HR20-700...Does this sound Right???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Albertn83

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Hey Guys...

I installed my HR20-700 DVR on my own, I ran 2 lines like you guys said AND I think I set it up right?...and so far so good, I don’t know why I took so long to get one, it’s great...BUT...I still a few questions...lol...o.k. let me know if this sounds right...

I’m able to record 2 different Ch's at the same time, but not watch a 3rd channel...i have to keep on watching one of the channels i'm recording, it doesn’t give me the options to watch a 3rd ch…. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT???

Did I do something wrong?

Or should i be able to record 2 different ch's at the same time and be able to see a 3rd?

ANOTHER THING...i don’t know if this has happen to any of you guys...but I set my recorder to record The Simpson’s...and it did it's regular thing...but when i want to see it later on that night...it wouldn't let me, it just gave me the option to Delete or keep the recording. When i would try to play it...the same thing would pop out..."delete or keep"

Are you aware of anything like that?

So i decided to reboot the receiver and it deleted the Simpson’s episode and keep other shows i had previously recorded it, it just deleted the Simpson’s episode…WTF…and it was a new Episode!

LET ME KNOW.
THANKS!!!

The HR20 is a dual tuner dvr. With 2 tuners usable, you can use each to do 1 thing. Once both tuners are recording something, you're out of tuners, hence your inability to watch another channel. You can watch previously recorded content while both tuners are recording actively, but no third channel viewing is possible.

The simpsons recording error sounds like it could be a bug, but as I don't have an HR20 I can't comment on its odd behavior.

Hey Guys...

ANOTHER THING...i don’t know if this has happen to any of you guys...but I set my recorder to record The Simpson’s...and it did it's regular thing...but when i want to see it later on that night...it wouldn't let me, it just gave me the option to Delete or keep the recording. When i would try to play it...the same thing would pop out..."delete or keep"

Are you aware of anything like that?

So i decided to reboot the receiver and it deleted the Simpson’s episode and keep other shows i had previously recorded it, it just deleted the Simpson’s episode…WTF…and it was a new Episode!

LET ME KNOW.
THANKS!!!

This is known as the "unwatchable" bug, it's been reported by a lot of people so hopefully the next software download for the Hr20 will fix it.....

Thank You Very Much...so You Can Not See A 3rd Ch. Unless It's Recorded Already!!!

Thank You Very Much...so You Can Not See A 3rd Ch. Unless It's Recorded Already!!!

Yes, pretty much like every other dual tuner DVR out there including the DirecTivo's. You can record 2 things and watch a 3rd recording.
It's just the way they work.

Nope, even though there would thoeretically be 4 streams, you are still going to be restricted to 2 tuners, whether they are sat or OTA. Just like with the HR10-250.

Nope, even though there would thoeretically be 4 streams, you are still going to be restricted to 2 tuners, whether they are sat or OTA. Just like with the HR10-250.

I believe this is wrong.

You will have 2 Sat tuners and 1 OTA tuner.
You should be able to record 2 Sat channels and watch a OTA or Watch 1 Sat and record 1 Sat and 1 OTA
At least this is how I understand it to work.

Jimbo

I believe this is wrong.

You will have 2 Sat tuners and 1 OTA tuner.
You should be able to record 2 Sat channels and watch a OTA or Watch 1 Sat and record 1 Sat and 1 OTA
At least this is how I understand it to work.

Jimbo

I seriously doubt it going to work like that. I will be more like the Hr-10 without dual live buffers.

I seriously doubt it going to work like that. I will be more like the Hr-10 without dual live buffers.

I mentioned , being able to record 2 shows and watch a third depending on the situation.
I did not say you would be able to toggle between them, (isn't that what the dual live buffers accomplish ?)

I've never had that feature to work with, so correct me if I am wrong.

Jimbo

Still, even with the three independent tuners, you have to have other hardware to consider. Does the Hr20 have the processing power, and available bus bandwitdth to handle recording 2 shows at once while processing/buffering/outputting a third HD signal?

While the raw data throughput of 3 15mb streams isn't going to make most any hard drive struggle, recording 2 while actively engaging a third through rewind etc could put a hurting on the rest of the hardware. It MIGHT be capable of it, but we won't know until it actually happens.

I mentioned , being able to record 2 shows and watch a third depending on the situation.
I did not say you would be able to toggle between them, (isn't that what the dual live buffers accomplish ?)

I've never had that feature to work with, so correct me if I am wrong.

Jimbo

unless D* pulls a fast one, I expect it to be just like the R15 just HD.

Still, even with the three independent tuners, you have to have other hardware to consider. Does the Hr20 have the processing power, and available bus bandwitdth to handle recording 2 shows at once while processing/buffering/outputting a third HD signal?

While the raw data throughput of 3 15mb streams isn't going to make most any hard drive struggle, recording 2 while actively engaging a third through rewind etc could put a hurting on the rest of the hardware. It MIGHT be capable of it, but we won't know until it actually happens.

This scenario is basically the same as recording (2) HD streams while watching a recorded (3rd) HD stream: the processor, bus, and disk are all engaged in reading/buffering/writing/decoding/encoding activities.

It should be fairly easy to test without OTA functionality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)