HR20 and OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Captain Spaulding said:
I'm just curious to know why the OTA tuners were not enabled? I'm assuming there were technical reasons, but what were they?

My guess would be that they needed more time to get the Advance Program Guide function (where your local ATSC channel info/programming appears in the on screen guide). As I said, just a guess.

Ota

damaged said:
<conjecture>The following is nothing official, or even proven, but the H20 had an issue with OTA whereby PSIP data would cause the reboots, since the HR20 is likely just a H20 in that regard (OTA circuitry/firmware), they probably preferred to leave it disabled until a proper firmware fix could be rolled out.</conjecture>

And let's be honest here, if they HAD released it enabled, and it rebooted like the H20, everyone would be posting "Why did they release it with OTA if it doesn't work!", or if they had waited to release the HR20 until the OTA was fixed, everyone would be posting (more of) "They lied to us about the date the HR20 would be released", so they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. ;)

damaged.....Putting useless anger aside, I think you might be right about that because it stands to reason, if D* already had a known problem with the H20 OTA, better to fix the problem with the HR20 OTA before they enable it, but get the HR20 to the customers as quickly as possible....after all, what could Directv possible gain by keeping the HR20 OTA disabled, on purpose, for, eventually, angry customers lead to loss of money for Directv....It would be nice and a smart business move on Directv's part, to post a technical reason in the forum, stating why the OTA is disabled. When something is explained, the anger is replaced by knowledge.

PeaceOfMind:) :up

PeaceOfMind said:
It would be nice and a smart business move on Directv's part, to post a technical reason in the forum, stating why the OTA is disabled. When something is explained, the anger is replaced by knowledge.

PeaceOfMind:) :up

Nice? yes!, smart? one might think so, but, chances are, D* lawyers would suggest that they not openly publish (in black and white) the fact they know it is a defective product[*]. :)

[*]: In this case, a product with a defective function.

Last edited:
lovswr said:
Well that is in 5 days. I hope your right & it comes on this weekend, so I can put my order in next Monday :D
Talked to rentention today and they said in October but that is all they knew. He said they were not given a date just that it was in October

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)