HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
my understanding is that if you install the external drive on a new system you will not be able to retain the shows you recorded.

Yes and No. They will still be on the internal hard drive, you just won't be able to access them until you unplug the external drive and reboot.

Yes and No. They will still be on the internal hard drive, you just won't be able to access them until you unplug the external drive and reboot.

I though that they would be on there but you could not access them at all. I may have read some bad information..... which is very possible. I would like to know for sure also.

ok, we are talking about two different issues. the original poster states that he would like to keep his shows on the external drive in the event of a hd dvr failure. from what I understand the shows will not be accessible if you plug the external drive into a different hd dvr.

ok, we are talking about two different issues. the original poster states that he would like to keep his shows on the external drive in the event of a hd dvr failure. from what I understand the shows will not be accessible if you plug the external drive into a different hd dvr.

Yes you are correct on that issue.

I though that they would be on there but you could not access them at all. I may have read some bad information..... which is very possible. I would like to know for sure also.
My assumption was that the recorded shows would be tied to the access card, not the specific unit. I also assumed if they gave me a replacement unit that I would just move the access card to the new unit.
Can anyone say whether that's true or not?
On a less positive note, the Seagate Freeagent 750GB I purchase at Costco doesn't want to work with my HR20-700. I cabled them together with an eSATA cable, powered up the Seagate, gave it time to come ready, then plugged the power cord back into the HR20. Each time it comes up with the internal drive. :-/

My assumption was that the recorded shows would be tied to the access card, not the specific unit. I also assumed if they gave me a replacement unit that I would just move the access card to the new unit.
On a less positive note, the Seagate Freeagent 750GB I purchase at Costco doesn't want to work with my HR20-700. I cabled them together with an eSATA cable, powered up the Seagate, gave it time to come ready, then plugged the power cord back into the HR20. Each time it comes up with the internal drive. :-/

Hmmm....
Wonder whats up with that ?
I was about to do that or something a little larger.

Hopefully some of those that have the 750 FA will chime in here soon.

Jimbo

I have been using the 750 gig FA for 2 weeks now, working great. OTA HD recordings only use 1%!!

I unplugged my HR20, plugged in the FA power then plugged in the esata cable. I then powered up the HR20 and havent looked back.

Could be a bad drive, bad esata cable or HR20.

ive read a few times that it is tied to the unit and wont work in any other receiver.

I have been using the 750 gig FA for 2 weeks now, working great. OTA HD recordings only use 1%!!

I unplugged my HR20, plugged in the FA power then plugged in the esata cable. I then powered up the HR20 and havent looked back.

Well, I picked up another cable today. And an eSATA adapter for one of my PC's. So I'll be able to tell if it's either the cable or the drive.

What do I do if it's neither of those? It's not like it's a supported feature.

Well, I picked up another cable today. And an eSATA adapter for one of my PC's. So I'll be able to tell if it's either the cable or the drive.

What do I do if it's neither of those? It's not like it's a supported feature.

Im guessing if the port on the hr20 is bad, you cant get another one. Maybe you could put a call in with another issue that would cause them to send you another HR20. Do you have the prot plan?

Do you have to do anything with it when you do the CE d/l's , do you need to unplug it, or do you just leave it go ?

btw, NICE WIN last night :hatsoff:

Jimbo

Do you have to do anything with it when you do the CE d/l's , do you need to unplug it, or do you just leave it go ?

btw, NICE WIN last night :hatsoff:

Jimbo

I actually downloaded the last CE i did before I installed it, so Im not sure. From what I understand it does not matter. Only the guide/series links/some settings are stored on the ext hdd. But Im not totally sure.

I'd have to say,since national release software is uncontrolled,that you dont have to un plug the drive.

The 750gig amazes me how much storage it added, heres what I have:

7 one hour OTA HD programs(used to use 3% each)
Rocky IV HD of MGMHD
Nip Tuck Ep in HD
2 one hour SD programs
Ronin in HD off HDNET Movies

Only using 90%

Very awesome.

I was sweating a few times because of how they've played this year, but it ended up being a darn good win. I'm originally from Alabama and cant stand the tide, so the LSU game really stressed me out, but Im glad they won.

Hi I just hooked up a seagate 750gb drive to my hr20 model 100 and it seems to be working great. My question is when I turn the hr20 off will the seagate stay on? or will it go into sleep mode? Is it suppose to stay on all the time with that bright light on? I'm hoping with the hr20 off the seagate powers down? Just wondering cause if it stays on all the time won't it get really hot? Sorry for all the questions lol.

Thanks Adam

Last edited:
Hi I just hooked up a seagate 750gb drive to my hr20 model 100 and it seems to be working great. My question is when I turn the hr20 off will the seagate stay on? or will it go into sleep mode? Is it suppose to stay on all the time with that bright light on? I'm hoping with the hr20 off the seagate powers down? Just wondering cause if it stays on all the time won't it get really hot? Sorry for all the questions lol.

Thanks Adam

The Seagate does NOT turn off, ever.(unless the power goes out :D)

Is there a fan in it ?

Jimbo

Not that I can tell. In one way the Seagate emblem and the edges lighting up is pretty cool(have the emblem facing out).

On the other side its very bright and kind of annoying when Ive got all the lights out trying to watch a good HD Movie.

Is there a fan in it ?

Jimbo

No, which is probably why many people have begun to report their drives failing. On DBSTalk.com there are many folks complaining about their Seagate 750GB drives dying after a relatively short period of time.

This is one reason why I picked up a 1TB Hitachi and put it in an Antec MX-1 enclosure that has a fan built in.

You also have to remember on forums you hear about the drives that fail, not the ones that work. Im not worried about mine at all, Seagate puts out a good product and its got a 5yr warranty.

The ext hdd I had for Comcast cable was an ext case I bought(without fan) and a WD hdd and it was fine.

No, which is probably why many people have begun to report their drives failing. On DBSTalk.com there are many folks complaining about their Seagate 750GB drives dying after a relatively short period of time.

This is one reason why I picked up a 1TB Hitachi and put it in an Antec MX-1 enclosure that has a fan built in.

So you bought an "Internal " and and enclosure with a fan built into it ?
What kind of money did that cost and is it 1 or 2 drives ?

I have seen a few External 1TB units , but I think they are 2 disks

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)