HR20 Hard Drive Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Have you upgraded the hard drive in your HR20 or plan to?

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Keep in mind that the MPEG4 format will reduce the file size of the recordings you do want, so right off the bat, you will have something like 30-40% more recording space if you only record in MPEG4. :D

True. I had the HR20 last fall and it was fine. Now with 50 hours of mpeg4, nothing to worry about for me.

I'd like more storage, I prefer to keep a "library" as opposed to pruning often.

I don't think 500GB is enough of a bump to be worth my while; 750GB would be good; but really 1TB is the way to go. Right now 750GB eSATA is still $300, which IMO is a bit more than I want to spend in-support of equipment that I don't own. I'm more inclined to suffer until D* offers a DVR with more storage, unless big drive prices take a plunge.

All this would be easier if they make it so that your ext hdd can work in unison with the internal. Then you would not have to spend so much dough on a esata.

Keep in mind that the MPEG4 format will reduce the file size of the recordings you do want, so right off the bat, you will have something like 30-40% more recording space if you only record in MPEG4. :D

Good point atp,
I had forgot that bit of info ....
I would still like a 1 TB or larger, but thatnks to you, I can wait abit longer as it wont be filling uo as quickly once stuff starts to go MPeg4.

Any idea how they will designate a mpeg 2 vs mpeg4 channel, will it show up as two separate channels showing one mpeg4 and 1 mpeg 2.?
Would they just automatically add the mpeg4 when it's available without telling us about the format change (as far as what and when it's happening ) ?

Jimbo

From a few posts I've seen over at DBSTalk.com, port multiplier enclosures are not the way to go. Apparently, the HR20 will only see the first drive.

I work as a Network Engineer and we use a lot of Buffalo Linkstation and Terastation Products.

Here is a link to Buffalo's only e-sata drives... a 1tb and 2tb model.

Buffalo Technology - Products - DriveStation Quattro?

The lowest price I see for the 1tb is $440., the lowest for the 2tb is $820. However you are paying for a Raid device, so it will have four hard drives installed, and it is great if one of the drives fails, you just get another one and iinstall in place of the bad one and there is no data lost.

Others might have some more knowledgable input...but here's my $0.02.

Usually, multiple drive enclosures provide some sort of RAID...I don't see anything mentioned on the product page.

If you have 2 * 500GB drives, do you get a total of 1GB storage? The RAID # will tell you this.

I'm also wondering why there are two eSATA ports. The blurb seems to indicate one for Mac one for PC...but then, why is there only 1 USB port?

I'd recommend a bit more research to make sure this is the right kind of enclosure.

Plus, it's made in China...so make sure you (and your kids) don't lick it.

I found this Newegg.com - Thecus N2050UD Up to 1 TB Direct Attached Storage USB 2.0, eSATA - Retail, it seems closer to what you'd need...though I'm unclear why it indicates a max capacity of 1TB. (I'm not recommending this as I have no experience with it, but it does appear to have the features you'd need/want and be pretty cheap.)

Last edited:
I just noticed that cmeans, so I can't get that one.

I don't see RAID on the one you pointed to either.

Look under the Specifications tab.

Thanks. I see it has Mirroring and Stripping. I want to use Stripping if I want the whole 1TB otherwise I am only getting 500gb.

This device is cheaper than the one I was looking at anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)