HR20 in SF Bay Area?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pgtogo84bsxy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Vallejo, CA
I switched from Comcast Cable to DirecTV a few months ago, but have felt so-so about the whole ordeal for a number of reasons. But, I'm wondering if anyone has the HR20 in the San Francisco Bay Area? Because before I upgrade to this, I want to make sure that people are getting the local networks (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS) via satellite ok in HD and was wondering if anyone knew when Fox Sports Bay Area HD will be available? I did email Fox Sports and they told me that the HD feed is available as Comcast Cable has been using it, but doesn't know why DirecTV is taking their time. :mad:

I've been told so many different things from customer service reps that I'd like to hear from a fellow SF Bay HR20 user.

FYI.... in my opinion, HD feeds via Comcast are clearer than with DirecTV in my area. Maybe it's because of the Mpeg2 versus Mpeg4? I'll have to wait to upgrade to confirm.

FSN Bay Area HD is up and running on channel 96 if you've upgraded your dish ( 5LNB ) and have an H20 receiver. Its not a 24/7 channel however. It is only on channel 96 if the A's, Giants, Sharks, or College teams are being broadcasted in HD by FSN Bay Area.

The schedule for each team can be found here:

http://www.fsnbayarea.com/FSNHD.jsp

If you've upgraded your dish and receiver like I've stated, you'll also receive your locals in HD. The only thing that hasnt come out that is around the corner I believe , is the HD DVR to record channels like 96 and your locals.

Hope this helps.. I'm right around the corner from ya in Green Valley.

I have a related question. I am in the Reno DMA, but are treated as in the Bay Area for sports blackouts. If I get and HR20 receiver, will I be able to get channel 96 and the FSN Bay Area in HD?

bbd24 said:
FSN Bay Area HD is up and running on channel 96 if you've upgraded your dish ( 5LNB ) and have an H20 receiver. Its not a 24/7 channel however. It is only on channel 96 if the A's, Giants, Sharks, or College teams are being broadcasted in HD by FSN Bay Area.

The schedule for each team can be found here:

http://www.fsnbayarea.com/FSNHD.jsp

If you've upgraded your dish and receiver like I've stated, you'll also receive your locals in HD. The only thing that hasnt come out that is around the corner I believe , is the HD DVR to record channels like 96 and your locals.

Hope this helps.. I'm right around the corner from ya in Green Valley.

bbd24,

Thanks for the info. I have a 3LNB dish and am looking to upgrade, but I'm waiting for the HR20 to be available "officially" in my area. I'll call DirecTV early next week. I'm also glad that FSN Bay Area is already available when I upgrade. This is the best news I've heard all day! :cool:

I just called D* while I was reading this last reply and the lady I talked to said that I could buy the HR20 through Best Buy now, but that if I can wait until October, D* will honor the swap out of my current HR10. She said that she doesn't have the details as to whether or not I have to pay and after a long crazy work week, I didn't feel like arguing. Once you watch sports in HD, there's no way you'd want to go back to standard definition. I know I'll have to miss a few 49er and Raider games in HD, but if I can get Baron Davis driving to the hoop in HD, I'll be happier.

charper1 said:
What is your service zip code? Enter it into the RSN tool. If your zip code is in the DB it will show if you get HD or not; "(HD Available)" marker next to what will be HD in your area.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

Thanks, Charper!

It shows not available. But it also adds that I should get FSN Arizona, which I get with sportspack, but it blacks out the games like the other networks on sports pack that are out of my area. BTW it is 89449. Will that be available when the Reno locals are on HD scheduled for later on this year? Has anyone in a secondary market gotten the HD sports on channel 96?

NVBlue said:
Thanks, Charper!

It shows not available. But it also adds that I should get FSN Arizona, which I get with sportspack, but it blacks out the games like the other networks on sports pack that are out of my area. BTW it is 89449. Will that be available when the Reno locals are on HD scheduled for later on this year? Has anyone in a secondary market gotten the HD sports on channel 96?
"Has anyone in a secondary market gotten the HD sports on channel 96?"

So far only by "moving" to the best of my knowledge. A Sac sub recently "moved" to the SF bay area and is receiving FSNBA-HD on channel 96, of course, it means he is also getting SF local HD as well. FSNBA-HD is currently not available outside of the SF market.

I would guess that even if you tried the "move" trick the spot beam would not reach Reno anyways.

That is the main reason I sent him to the RSN tool, to see what he should get in his actual area, moving as you say will likely not help him that far away.

NVBlue said:
Spot beam should reach here. It is only 180 miles away. But, I won't do the move trick anyways.
I've heard that the spot beam can only get as large as 160 miles, in circumference, and that would be less as the beam would be elongated on the west coast.

Being outside the Bay Area in Manteca, (considered Central Valley) it's a shame I cannot receive Fox Bay Area in HD, I am ready to order the HR20. The tool says I get SD only... If this is true I guess my only advantage to ordering is for the HD Recording option and of course Mpeg4 for the New HD add-ons this year.

Big Sharks fan here.

I mean whats the difference if I'm receiving the games in SD because I am in the market is it because I am to far away?

Does anyone know if this will change in the near future?

And Is there anyone in this area that has the HR20 and is receiving FSN Bay Area in HD?

Thanks.

Your markets are determined by the leagues themselves based on zip code/claimed regions; distance is not the sole factor. Your DBS company can only do what they are told. As far as getting the SD but not the HD, there are a few thoughts out there; from the leagues having different rules for SD vs HD, to not enough beam coverage; which I do not believe.For those people (not you) who's DMA area is not yet getting HD LIL from your DBS company, then I can't see them delivering the RSN either. What is your zip?

I don't follow, are you saying a spot beam could be used to cover the whole country?

No, meaning that some spots might be huge to cover larger DMAs and adjusted tighter, smaller for small DMAs. So trying to quote "how large" a spot beam makes no sense, as there is no set distance they all vary.

charper1,
My zip code is 95336.

Also I already receive my HD Locals OTA on seperate antenna, they are all the Sacramento channels so I'm not really concerned about those. They are fine, rather I receive them OTA or via DirecTV is fine with me.

My main concern is can I get FSN Bay Area on the HR20? This will not stop me from ordering my upgrade. I currently have the seperate setup from DirecTV ( HD receiver and TiVo).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)